uncrating the beast

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
Mr.Ken

uncrating the beast

Post by Mr.Ken »

Hi gang,

Newbie poster. As of today, I am the proud owner of a UPS Tracking Number. In a week I will be uncrating the S1v2. This site has provided a number of stories of hidden shipping damage. It's a long way from Albany to San Diego. When I get the thing out of the box, should I immediately remove covers and look for obvious problems? Or just plug it in and see what happens?

My machine history is much more direct than most. I have 15 years with a La Pavoni lever. I decided to skip the cooling flush/water dance of the E61 and go directly to the machine the E61 folks upgrade to: the Poor Man's GS3!

Mr.Ken
San Diego
Niko

Post by Niko »

Welcome to the poor man's GS3 forums Mr Ken.
Just an FYI, I chose to buy 2 Vivaldi's rather than one GS3 and besides, the GS3 is so unproven that I don't even want to go there. It looks great on paper but that's all it is so far...just a bunch of pictures and great prototype stories. I'd love to get my dirty little fingers on one but until then it's nothing but the Spaziales for me. I'd rather modify a single group Linea that can destroy the GS3 anyways.
I also have one of those cool flushing/water dancin' E61 thingys and I love LOVE IT. Nothing wrong with a legendary, classy grouphead.
So yeah, some of us are nuts on this forum (mostly speaking for myself) and very few others are normal.

Shipping can be rough going from coast to coast but you're going to read about the bad ones mostly.
My 1st machine arrived last summer, outer box was pretty much destroyed - not a corner of the box survived and the bottom was missing. The inner box was there still but not without its fair share of bumps and bruises, the S1 has a dent going outwards on the back. My 2nd machine was the Quick Mill Anita and that one arrived perfect, the outer box was nice and clean. My 3rd machine (the VII) arrived a little over a week ago, it was also PERFECT, not a mark on the box. Bravo UPS on the last 2 orders. I think it all depends on who handles the packages, there are normal carriers and then there are the Samsonite Apes too...

Oh yeah, before I forget...I should answer your question! When you unpack the beast, lay it on its side on the counter and tighten all the feet and make sure the side panels are screwed in nicely - you'll have access to all this from the bottom. Before you plug it in, do the obvious and make sure things "look" OK, you can remove the one single screw on the very top of the machine's cup warmer and carefully pry it off for a quick peek inside. Another thing you'll want to do before firing it up, remove the front cover panel to straighten the gauge (this always needs straightening), it'll give you a nice view inside the machine as well. Everything should look fine and then fire it up, hold that ON/OFF button until the all the lights dance ON and you're ready to go.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Hey Ken,

I am in San Diego, and got my VII awhile back.

Basically the only real casuality was the cup tray that had some scratches. I beleive that it did not come from shipping however.

My gauge was pressed in, and my drip tray was also jammed, and the side cover was loose. All these were easily fixable in a few minutes (well the gauge gave me fits).

I hope yours arrives in good shape. Chris' Coffee double boxes these things for a reason.

Chris
Mr.Ken

Post by Mr.Ken »

Thanks BBQNUT. Your experiences sound similar to what others report. Apparently the drip tray is a device whose purpose is to keep the chassis from being wracked any further in transit. Finding it jammed tells you it's doing it's job. The gauge needs a spring suspension so that it pops back each time it's displaced.

The double-boxing is probably all CC can do. As they say, it's not the fall ... it the sudden stop that kills.

Mr.Ken
downtown San Diego
Mr.Ken

Post by Mr.Ken »

s1v2 did arrive with only minor damage (I'll bet they lose a lot of those plastic cup things that ride on the warming tray). How you can crush things inside perfect boxes is a mystery, but CC is making it right. My drip tray was undisturbed and that gauge was exactly where it was supposed to be. Go figure. Functionally, v2 seems perfect and very quiet.

The portafilter locks in in the opposite direction from the La Pavoni. It's like trying to relearn tying your shoes. Steaming is a monster! In fact velvety chiffon can rescue learning-shots. It took about 9 seconds to adjust to having plumbed-in water. Yea!

I will be away from v2 for a week, so we're just casually dating for the next few days. The marriage will begin in earnest later.

The existence of this forum was part of my decision to go for the s1v2. No regrets. Thanks to all who take the time to post.

Mr.Ken

Return to “VII General Q&A”