Scales

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
blacroix

Scales

Post by blacroix »

I've read some very interesting posts on different forums about scales and accuracy. A scale that has a resolution of 1g (most anything I've found in any store) could weigh a 16g dose as 15g one time and 17g the next... it seems to me that if I'm going to accurately dose - I better get closer than that.

I've found this scale:

http://www.physlink.com//estore/cart/US ... lScale.cfm

It's a 500gram scale with an accuracy of +-0.1g. I'm OK with my 16g dose getting measured between 15.9 and 16.1g - that's an acceptable range.

The same site had a 100gram scale with an accuracy of +-0.01g... but I thought it might be a bit too small to be able to put the portafilter on it. I liked the size of the 500gram scale's cover, which is used as a measuring cup (at 6.25 inches wide, it should make for a great portafilter holder).

What has been your experiences with different scales?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I have 2 Salter scales that measure .5 gram difference between each other, at least they measure the same every time. I've tested them with the same batch of beans and they registered the same exact weight every time.
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

I picked up a "My Weigh i500" scale a week before the Spaz showed up. I am very happy with it and the size, accuracy, resolution, and price are all perfect. I don't know if I can post a link to the place I bought it here or not so pm me if you want the info. It's $60 and comes with an ac adapter so you don't even need batteries!
Weska

Post by Weska »

I'm using a MyWeigh PT-500, which is 500 grams max and 0.1 gram resolution. The low resolution is not something to discount. Seems to work quite well, and I'm surprised at how much I use it in general kitchen duty for bread, portions of pasta and the like.

It even lets me weigh a bit over 500 grams of greens if I start with a tare for a container.

If I had it to do again, I might go with a 1000 gram version (not for espresso but for more general applications), but that might cost something in accuracy in the espresso range. As I understand it, the sensors in cheaper scales are more or less the same, and the output is amplified to reach greater weights.

The general rule with scales is that the more restricted their range the more accurate they can be (unless very expensive). The 500 gram range in my experience is a good compromise that allows me to use the scale for more than espresso.
Weska

Post by Weska »

Should have added that the scale is also useful for weighing the shot after it's pulled. The ratio of espresso in the cup by eight to ground coffee in the portafilter is a more consistent way to judge what you have extracted. It eliminates all the uncertainty about the liquid level that is due to crema and its collapes. (This is Andy S's "brewing ratio." Check it out on home-barista.com.)
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I have one of the My Weigh 1000 gram scales but I seem to recall that mine has .2 gram accuracy and I am very please with it. Bought it from OldWillKnot in 2002 and it works great. About $19.99 back then.

For fine measuring, I use a XianJian ShenZhen Plastics (translation: eBay) 200 gram scale with .01 gram accuracy and it is really useful when weighing out beans.

While I don't really use it to the .01 level, it's nice to know how close I really am--and on one of those mornings when I feel particularly silly, I might swap out one bean for another to see just how close I can get to my theoretical ideal.

BTW, the scale in the original post, I believe, can be had from Old Will a bit cheaper: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index ... ProdID=450

Return to “VII General Q&A”