New member introduction: gdahl

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
gdahl

New member introduction: gdahl

Post by gdahl »

As a newly registered user, I would like to introduce myself. I am Gary Dahl, music teacher, conductor, timpanist, and of course, espresso enthusiast. My VII will be on its way to me in a few more days... :D It will replace my Wega MiniNova, which I have used for six years.

The MiniNova has been a nice machine. It is plumbed-in, has a rotary pump, and uses the E61 group with a heat exchanger. I have had plenty of fun with it, and even made a bottomless portafilter for it last summer.

As it turned out, using the bottomless portafilter made me even more aware of the limits I had reached in espresso preparation. A double boiler machine was exactly what I had in mind for the next step forward, so I started browsing around to see what was available. The Brewtus looked promising at first, but as a pour-over unit with a vibration pump, it seemed like a step backward in some ways, even though its temperature control appeared to be excellent.

Eventually I found the Vivaldi S1, which appealed to me immediately. Better yet, it was named after a composer! Alas, my wife didn't see any compelling reason to replace our Wega. Sigh.

It was just as well, because by the time I got the green light, the VII machine had replaced the original version. Cool!

The pressure will be on, though, because I promised my wife that the lattes and cappas will taste better. Now I will have nothing but my own skills to blame if they don't!

Best regards,
Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

Gary,
Welcome to the forums and we hope you become a regular here.
I'm excited for the arrival of Mr. Vivaldi II, you'll have to keep us updated on your progress.
The Brewtus II is a nice machine also, you're right in thinking it would've been a step backwards for you. You made the right choice.
blacroix

Post by blacroix »

Yes, welcome to the forum. Several of us have gotten our V2's within the last week or so. It's my first machine. I'm sure your previous 6 years of experience will learning this machine much easier.

Do you buy beans, or are you a home roaster?
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Thanks for the welcome!

I only do home roasting when I run out of Vita (Espresso Vivace). I have a Fresh Roast roaster, but the results have never been as good as the already-roasted beans from EV. I'm not far from Seattle, so my coffee orders usually arrive the next day.

My espresso machine history:

1988: The first machine was really just a modified moka pot. It had no pump; you just filled the boiler, put coffee in the portafilter, switched it on, and waited for the pressure to build enough so that the water would push through. The remaining hot water was for steaming. Even back then, I didn't consider the results to be palatable. The machine was a wedding present.

1989: The second machine was a Krups unit with an electric pump. I was quite a bit happier with this one, but it was pretty picky about the grind. There wasn't much room between a 10-second pull and a choked machine, and frothing the milk took considerable patience. The pump died after a couple of years. We took it to a repair facility, and were advised that it wasn't worth fixing.

1991: The third machine was a La Pavoni lever-type unit. I figured that a machine without a bunch of moving parts to wear out would be better in the long run, and got pretty good at using it.

2001: I finally tasted espresso from a commercial establishment that tasted way better than anything I could make at home. I started asking questions, and eventually found my way to Espresso Vivace. I bought David Schomer's book, through which I learned enough to find my way to the Wega MiniNova. Soon after, I also bought a Mazzer Mini.

The MiniNova kept me happy until I tasted the wares of Stumptown Coffee Roasters in Portland Oregon. I bought some of their beans, and experienced a big let-down when trying to duplicate their results in my home. I made the bottomless portafilter, and started to realize that I was going to have to improve the other factors, that is, control of pressure and temperature.

Looking forward to future tasting adventures!

Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

Gary,

Thanks for the history, I sort of went through the same thing.
Started off with some sort of modified moka pot that seemed to produce nothing but bitter coffee, back then that was pretty good coffee to me. I then gradually went from 2 different Krups models, a FrancisFrancis! which lasted for about a month, an E61 machine and now my two Vivaldi's (VI & VII).
I still own the lovely Quick Mill Anita E61 and plan on keeping it for travelling freak shows to parties and events.
As you know, being plumbed in is a necessity once you've had it so the VII will be seamless for you in that respect along with the smooth rotary pump. Other nice upgrades I can think of besides the dual boiler, which by the way, is "the feature" on this machine, is the dual manometer and the 1 degree temp controls. The one thing you'll not miss is the cooling flushes, instead you'll be doing the opposite by pulling a blank shot to bring the temp up - this is not as required on the VII as it was on the VI. I'm finding that my VII isn't the nomadic, gunslinging "drifter" that the other S1 is. Don't get me wrong, the original S1 is an awesome powerhouse as well but it does need a slight kick in the butt to get the temps going sometimes. Your timing is perfect now that the S1 just got updated so the VII will be a nice addition (or replacement?) for your Wega.
blacroix

Post by blacroix »

I feel like a spoiled brat. Call me Mr. All-or-nothing. I didn't even know I liked espresso until Feb '06 when I went to Paris with my then girlfriend (got engaged at the Eiffel Tower). Wow - was that an expensive trip... ring, flight, hotel, new addiction... :) I've been researching machines since. Went from no machine at all to a Macap M4 and an S1V2. :) Like I said, all-or-nothing. :)

Sounds like you have some great experience to bring to the table, Gary. I look forward to hearing more about your new baby.
Niko

Post by Niko »

No, not a spoiled brat.
It's called "doing it right the first time".

Gary, when are you expecting Mr. Vivaldi to arrive at your doorstep? Must be any day now. I want hear about everything, the condition of the boxes and the out of the box experience and so on, the whole works...
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

What an exciting event that must have been...Paris, engagement, great coffee...cool!

I do like the idea of doing it right the first time, at least if I can afford to. Sometimes what seems cheaper at first becomes more expensive in the long run, because of the combined cost of the intermediate steps! But we don't always have a choice. My income in 1990 certainly didn't put me in a position to buy what I can afford now.

My advice to anyone starting out, though, would be to buy their "last grinder" right away. I went through a lot of grinders on the way to the Mazzer, and don't even want to think about how much I spent trying to save the price difference.

I am selling the Wega to a friend in Seattle who has been admiring it for some time. He is using some sort of Krups unit now, so this will be a big step for him.

My machine will probably arrive near the end of next week. I placed my order with instructions to postpone shipping until I could finalize my list of other items (accessories, John Guest supplies, etc.). I took care of that today, so my order will soon leave on its cross-country UPS tour.

Gary Dahl
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

I can now report that Mr. Vivaldi is on his way across the country, but I will have to be a bit patient. It is due for delivery next Thursday, but I have a performance Thursday evening, rehearsals Friday evening and Saturday morning, and another performance Saturday evening. Maybe I can get something done with it on Saturday afternoon.

No worries...the MiniNova still makes excellent drinks.

I ended up choosing several extras...a timer, a new filtering system, pitcher, thermometer and surge protector. I was distressed to learn that the CoffeeLab tamper was backordered until March, but the nice lady let me buy their floor sample.

As for a bottomless portafilter, I'll probably just drill out one of the stock handles, like I did for the Wega.

Chris Coffee has been great to work with, as so many have already said. Chris patiently helped me figure out which parts would be needed to plumb the new machine in, considering my current setup. He even gave me a deal, without me even asking for it!

I will write again after the machine arrives.

Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

You made an excellent choice in getting the timer wether you need it or not, it's really a pain to install and besides, it'll be there if you need it anytime. You're going to love the CoffeeLabs tamper, it's my current favorite - I've got 2 of them.
Can't wait to hear about the arrival of Mr. Vivaldi next week, have a great weekend Gary.
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

The tracking website says that my VII is out for delivery today, so I'll be watching for that UPS truck.

Because of a mysterious virus, I am having to miss all of the obligations that I thought would keep me away from the machine after its arrival. No, I'm not making this up.

Happily, I have worked my way up from "Americano" to "Latte." Much better!

Gary Dahl
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

Come on UPS! Mine showed up 2 weeks ago today. Couldn't wait to hear the driver coming up the driveway. The rest of my day was spent installing and testing. :D
Good luck and if you have any questions during or after installation, you're in the right place!
We'll have to have a PNW Spaz get together at some point with all of the people that are getting these things in the area!
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

It's here! Cool!! :D

The box looked perfect on the outside, very encouraging. It is all unpacked now, sitting on the kitchen table. I haven't found a single flaw yet...the dual manometer is centered in its window, the drip tray is undisturbed, and the accessories (portafilters, etc.) didn't misbehave during the trip...more than I can say for my kids most of the time!

Another package will arrive tomorrow, then I will be able to begin installation. All I can do now is admire it and read the manual!

More to follow in the days ahead...

Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

So....how does it compare to the MiniNova just by looking at it on the counter? Is it more impressive looking, more serious, what was the first impression?
Just curious because no matter how many pictures I've seen on the web when I was researching the S1 way back in time, it was a whole different look in the flesh. It wasn't what I expected, it turned out to be more of a commercially built monstrosity with a nice heavy weight heft to it than a typical prosumer machine. Well that's just it, it isn't really a prosumer machine but rather a low volume commercial machine that found its way into homes. It has a certain "business" look to it rather than a "I'm a hotty" for your kitchen kind of look.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Gary,

So....how does it compare to the MiniNova just by looking at it on the counter? Is it more impressive looking, more serious, what was the first impression?
Just curious because no matter how many pictures I've seen on the web when I was researching the S1 way back in time, it was a whole different look in the flesh. It wasn't what I expected, it turned out to be more of a commercially built monstrosity with a nice heavy weight heft to it than a typical prosumer machine. Well that's just it, it isn't really a prosumer machine but rather a low volume commercial machine that found its way into homes. It has a certain "business" look to it rather than a "I'm a hotty" for your kitchen kind of look.
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Well, where can I start? It's gorgeous. But the Vivaldi hasn't made it to the counter yet. It's still sitting on top of its carton in the front entryway. I'm not going to disconnect the Wega until the other package with the plumbing arrives!

My son asked me if our old machine had ever looked this shiny when it was new. No, it hadn't. The Wega is serious-looking, but doesn't make any effort to be beautiful. It is straighforward and simple, and has fit in very well with its neighbor appliances. I have had no complaints. To me, the visual statement it sends is "I'm not kidding."

And to be honest, this morning the Wega created the best cappucino of its whole career. I sat down to read the forum, took a few sips, and started to wonder if a new machine was really a good idea after all. Hmmm. As I said before, I had already promised my wife that the new machine would make everything taste better! No pressure....

After reading some of the posts around here, I suppose I was expecting the Spaz to be heavier than it really is. It's solid, all right, but the Wega seems still heavier. Maybe it's only the Wega's full tank versus the S1 sitting there empty, so it's probably a wash. In any event, to me, the S1 looks much classier. It's a matter of finish and attention to detail. The metal is beautifully polished, and the whole thing has a nice form factor. I like the steam wand, which is more stout than the one on the Wega.

I must admit, though, that I will miss the E61. It was born the same year I was, and I'm sure I will always have a sentimental attachment to it. It's an elegant device, as we all know. But it's all about the taste, and the coffee doesn't care, right?

Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

I think the S1 weighs about 20lbs more.
You're just a little excited about it so it weighs about 13lbs total when you pick it up...

By the way, I'm sipping a god shot while reading and writing this.

And another thing, you can always keep the E61! - I did...I ordered another one because I missed it, so that's why Anita sits in the laundry room (plugged in next to the washer) - then again she moves around all the time. Look at my current avatar (it changes frequently). you can see Anita in the background to the left....

Mwuhahahaha!
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Now that I have both machines up on the counter side by side, I think you're right about the S1 being heavier. I can see now how hard it is to judge weight accurately with the machines in different locations. The weight is distributed differently, too, which doesn't help either.

My wife just saw the two next to each other, and remarked that our old machine looks like a toy in comparison!

I took some pictures but wasn't able to upload to this forum. The images were 640 by 480 as called for in the instructions, but the error message nevertheless said "size limit exceeded." Any hints?

You can still see the pictures by visiting my blog.

Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice pics!

Is the S1 hooked up yet?
Did you get the 20 or 15 amp model?
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Thanks!

Yes, and as a matter of fact, I just pulled the first shot moments ago. Everything works like a charm. No drips or mysterious noises. The first shot even looked great; lucky guess with the grinder setting, dose volume, etc.

I'll have to wait for morning to taste anything, though. If I don't, I'll never get to sleep!

I went for the 15A model...I don't have a dedicated outlet.

More tomorrow, of course.

Gary Dahl
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Gary, its tomorrow already - how'd it taste? Good luck with the new machine.

Cheers

Ian
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Hi Ian,

Thanks! I am having fun with it. Quite a few wonderful-tasting drinks so far, and of course some that weren't.

I haven't been too sure what to say yet, because I'm still adjusting to the feel of the new machine, and using unfamiliar beans. I have made quite a few changes at once, with new temperature and pressure, portafilter geometry, etc.. I'm also shooting for smaller shot volumes than before.

Even steaming the milk is different. Having the wand on the left side is probably the most awkward change for me, but the high steam volume affects the technique and timing quite a bit. Fortunately the S1 makes it easier to get great microfoam, but it sure does happen fast, which can be sobering.

Once I'm convinced that I have found the sweet spot, I'll work on consistency. But I can say that even after using the MiniNova rotary for six years, the Vivaldi is impressive indeed.

I think I will really like the 53mm portafilter in time. It seems to be less prone to channeling than the 58mm, but perhaps more sensitive to tamp pressure.

Ooops, the postal carrier is at the door with my little package from Stumptown. Gotta go!!

Gary Dahl
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

First attempt with Stumptown was very good, but pulled too quickly. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow morning before doing any more, since I've reached my limit for today.

Gary Dahl
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

It's hard to believe I've only had this machine for a couple of weeks now, because it already seems like an old friend. I'm so delighted with it, I don't even know where to start.

After the first several days with the Stumptown Hair Bender, I was becoming somewhat discouraged, because I figured the beans were getting too old for optimum results, and I didn't really feel like I had hit the mark yet. Was it going to get any better?

Yes it was. Last weekend everything was beginning to really come into focus. I can't even point to one single thing; I must have just started to get a feel for it. The last few shots I did with the Hair Bender were really delicious, even though the beans were past their prime.

Just got a fresh batch of Vita from Espresso Vivace, the real moment of truth. Ooooh, baby...this is getting fun. This morning it was so tasty.

I hope this machine lasts a long time!

Gary Dahl

Return to “VII General Q&A”