Watery Puck

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
dc_ch

Watery Puck

Post by dc_ch »

So I have read many folks talk about having a watery puck but never experienced it myself until recently. I don't have a shot timer yet, but I was measuring around 10 to 15 seconds for my shots.

They all seemed decent enough, but I knew from all of the guidelines that something was off and I needed to get longer extractions.

After nearly a month I finally got the courage to crank down my grinder and see what happens. So far nearly every shot is in the 20 second range and is tasting lovely!! And ever since adjusting the grind I have had watery pucks every time I go to the knockbox. The shots I just pulled for my morning drinks had a proper head of crema on them!!

Oh this is gonna be a great journey!!

Carl B
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

For me there is a fine line between too much coffee where the screw and shower screen tear up the puck and not enough coffee leading to a watery finish. Try updosing just a tad and see what happens.

Cheers

Ian
Niko

Re: Watery Puck

Post by Niko »

dc_ch wrote:I don't have a shot timer yet, but I was measuring around 10 to 15 seconds for my shots.

Carl B
10-15 seconds is way too fast, I think it's because you don't have a timer - so you're just guessing.
Lots of people get muddy pucks, doesn't mean anything on a Spaz, the portafilter is so deep that it takes the water longer to work its way through. You should be in the 25-30 second range from the time you hit the shot button, that doesn't mean a 34 second shot is going to taste bad - it might actually be better depending on how you dosed it.
When you're done tamping, can you see the basket ridge?
dc_ch

Post by dc_ch »

Ian,
I will give that a try. My wife inadvertently did that the other day and asked me why she couldn't get the PF on. That was one of the longest extractions I had seen from the machine to that point and it was good. Then a day later I messed with the grinder to tweak that aspect of it all.

Niko,
Most of the time I cannot see that ring, I think... Can't quite remember looking for that. Should the coffee be at or above that line when done tamping?

Thanks,

Carl B
Niko

Post by Niko »

dc_ch wrote: Niko,
Most of the time I cannot see that ring, I think... Can't quite remember looking for that. Should the coffee be at or above that line when done tamping?

Thanks,

Carl B
Carl,
The coffee should be just below that ring, about 1-2mm give or take - depending on the type of coffee used.
dc_ch

Post by dc_ch »

Thanks I will make sure that is the case.

Carl B

Return to “VII General Q&A”