VII Timer Set-Up

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
woodchuck

VII Timer Set-Up

Post by woodchuck »

I know I saw this on the list at one point in time. Can anyone repost the directions on how to setup the timer. Also does the timer have a seconds display or just hours and minutes? I was wondering whether you could use it to time shots.

Cheers

Ian

(Expecting my machine in today!)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Hopefully, when you read the manual that comes with your timer, you'll be able to figure it out. The issue is not that the manual is wrong, it's just that English wasn't the first language of the author so some of the instructions may take 2 or 3 passes through to figure out.

You can set up to 3 on-off cycles per day but most only choose one. To ensure that the other two on-off cycles are inactive you need to set their on-off times to the same value. The timer wants to default these other on-off times to the off time of the first off time you set. If you leave it this way and don't fight it you will save yourself some time. Once you get one day programmed you can copy this program to the other days.

The key thing to remember is that if you screw up at any stage, there is no go back button. You pretty much have to back away from the timer, wait about 1 minute for it to time out and return to displaying time of day, and then start the programming process all over.

Find the example that is closest to what you want to program and use that. The examples are clearer than the generic instructions.

Also, if the manual is correct, the Italians missed the memo about the dates for DST changing in the US next year so you should be sure DST (Summer Time) is not enabled. Otherwise, you'll have to manually fix the time four times per year rather than just twice.

Chris Coffee installs these and checks them out before shipment so you'll probably find that the time and date are already set correctly - at least if you're in the Eastern time zone.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Thanks for the heads up. As you suggested, I had no problem with the manual and the timer. Everything worked according to plan. Would be nice if the display could be used as a shot timer as well.

Cheers

Ian
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Most users buy a small shot timer with a magnet on the back. That way it serves two purposes, it also hides the ugly S1 decal on the front panel. Most internet coffee stores sell them for around $15.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Where are you guys putting those timers?
I'm about to order a VII from Chris soon and I was wondering where the blasted thing resides...
I mean, does it sit around on the counter or do you mount it on the Spaz or do I have to tape it onto something like my forehead?

OK, what about the 3 on/off cycles per day...can you have it come on for only 3 times per day on certain days and not others? I'm getting a VII for the timer reason alone almost, I'm getting extraordinarily lazy lately, so lazy that it's become a chore to hold down the power button for that 3 seconds.
StuBaby

I miss your old avatar, Niko

Post by StuBaby »

Hey hey buddy!!!
Bring back the blast of steam, I miss it.
My timer sits on my counter, against the splashboard, behind my Spaz, off to the right. Chris wires it to exit where the water line enters, on an 18" leash (apprx). You can set the timer for one, two, or three runs on any particular day: ie once on Monday-Fri, twice on Saturday, three times on Sunday. The only complaint I have is that, if you can't remember your settings, the timer only tells you the next "on" or the next "off" coming up on that particular day. So, if you have one interval set for today and watch the timer turn the Spaz off, the time won't flash the next "on" time until after 12midnight of the current day. You have to go through all the days in setup mode to see all of your settings.
Niko

Post by Niko »

HeY StUbAbY!!
Glad to see you back.
Whatsamatta' - Been pulling too many shots to write us?
Thanks for the info, I kinda' figured that about the timer, it's not rocket science on the programming part (just a little language barrier) it sounds like by what I've been reading. That's very interesting that this "pet timer" comes on a 18" leash. So it exits from underneath the machine where the plumbing is at huh? Maybe a nice saddle with double sided foam tape would do the trick on one of the side panels...
Now we'll just wait for that cradle to become available.

Oh almost forgot...
Here's some steam.Image
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

Niko wrote:Where are you guys putting those timers?
My timer comes in the form of a cat, he pounds on my door at 3 am to start my machine so when I wake again at 5am it will be ready. I also feed him at 3am as well, isn't it nice how we work together :roll:
Niko

Post by Niko »

Guess you don't need a VII with timer...

Sounds like you need to switch your cat to decaf.
Niko

Post by Niko »

chas wrote:Hopefully, when you read the manual that comes with your timer, you'll be able to figure it out.
Umm...what manual?
There's a manual with the timer? I just went through everything and I found no manual.
I managed to program it without a manual, we'll see if it works in the morning.
Please do tell if there's documentation of some sort, I'd like a copy of it. Maybe I'll write Chris' so they can send me a pdf or some electronic version of it.

Update (2 days later): No timer manual or any documents that even mention a timer, looked through everything again but no worries. The timer works great and it's pretty user friendly, fired up and shut down properly for the last couple of days.
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Thanks to Niko, my timer is now fully programmed!

I had figured out how to set the on and off times, but was unable to stumble into the proper mode for setting time of day. My unit arrived set up for east coast time, which is three hours from my own time zone.

Niko walked me through it, so I thought it would be worthwhile to post the directions so others could find it easily. Here goes:

1. Press and hold the "OK" button until the display reads "Timer selectio". If you are only setting the clock, skip to step 11.

2. From this mode, you can set up to three on/off cycles separately for each day of the week. If you want to set the timer cycles now, press the "OK" button again.

3. The display will now read "Timer on off", with one of the choices blinking. Use either arrow key to toggle the setting as desired, then press "OK." The display will return to "Timer selectio."

4. Press "OK" again. The display will say "Monday."

5. Press "OK" again. The display will say "Monday 1 ON" and the current time setting. The hour will be blinking. Use the arrow keys to change the hour to the desired setting. Don't be surprised if the arrows function in reverse...mine do. Must be an Italian thing.

6. Press "OK" again. The minutes will begin to blink. Use the arrow keys to change the minutes to the desired setting.

7. Press "OK" again. The display will say "Monday 1 OFF." Use the arrow keys to set the OFF time to the desired setting.

8. Press "OK" again. The display will say "Monday 2 ON". Set up this timer cycle in the same way as before. If you don't want to use it, just press "OK" repeatedly until you get to Tuesday. The timer modes are set by default with ON and OFF set to the same time, which makes them inactive. Set up Monday 3 in the same way if desired, or move on to Tuesday using the "OK" button.

9. The first screen for Tuesday will say "Tuesday COPY". If you want the same settings for Tuesday, press and hold the "OK" button until it moves on to the next day.

10. Continue until you have set the timer cycles as desired for the full week. Once you reach the end (Sunday, third cycle off time), pressing "OK" again will return you to "Timer selectio".

11. With the display reading "Timer selectio", press the down arrow button. This puts you in the language selection mode. Use the arrow keys to change the setting if desired, the press "OK".

12. With the diplay reading "Language selectio", press the down arrow button. This puts you in the clock set mode ("Clock selectio" of course).

13. Press "OK". The current day will appear in the diplay. Adjust the setting with the arrow keys if necessary, then press "OK" to move through the others: month, date, year, hour, minute, summer. It is recommended that you leave the summer setting (daylight saving) off, because the software hasn't been updated to reflect the recent change in the effective date for daylight saving time in the US.

14. When everything is the way you want it, press "OK". The display will return to "Clock selectio." If you are finished, leave it alone. The timer will exit the setup mode on its own after about a minute.

15. Any time you are finished making changes, you can leave the unit alone. It will exit the setup mode on its own.

If anyone finds mistakes on this set of directions, let me know and I'll fix it. Thanks again Niko!

Gary Dahl
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Gary, just curious...do your instruction correct errors in what came with your timer or did your timer come without the instruction manual?
Chas
Hottop P/B
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Mine didn't come with any instructions. Everything I wrote was discovered through experimentation, except that I hadn't figured out how to access the language and clock setting modes...Niko clued me in to that part.

Gary Dahl
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Glad you figured it out with Niko's help but you should have received a manual. You may want to ask Chris Coffee to send one to you for future reference.
Chas
Hottop P/B
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Hi Chas,

First of all, many thanks to you for hosting such great resources for users of the Vivaldi machines. It was the critical factor that resulted in my choice of the VII over the Brewtus II. An active community of support is something that I value greatly.

I do believe that as the vendor, Chris should be providing instructions with the timer. If not for Niko's post, I would have just figured that it was an oversight with my order; no biggie. But maybe it is a glitch that will happen to others if Chris doesn't fix it. I'll contact him tomorrow to make sure he knows about it.

So...any significant differences between my directions and your manual?

Gary Dahl
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

gdahl wrote:I do believe that as the vendor, Chris should be providing instructions with the timer.
I received a printed timer manual with my S1v2 timer, and also was emailed a copy in MS-Word format. I have forwarded that to Chas so he can post on the web site if desired. Warning - It isn't a very good manual, but it is certainly better than nothing.

Edited... Addendum - Chas, I tried sending the manual to the s1v2@rimpo.org address in the memberlist, but it bounced. If you want me to send you the ms-word format timer manual for posting on the web site, drop me a note with the appropriate email address.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's the correct address. I just tested it and it worked.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

Chas, here's what I get:

The following addresses had delivery problems:
s1v2@rimpo.org
Permanent Failure: Other address status
Delivery last attempted at Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:17:41 -0000

EDIT *****
OK, there was another attachment to the "bounced" message, giving a web address for 4mail.com confirmation -- part of your antispam protection. I did the verification, so hopefully you should have the document now!
Niko

Post by Niko »

I can't wait to see the manual since I didn't get one either. I can do without it but it's still nice to see how they documented the features. Thanks for the effort guys.
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

I'd be happy to fax the timer manual to anyone that wants it. It's 6 single sided pages.

Ron
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I rewrote the timer manual and posted it on the V2 website. You can find it here. I think this is a substantial improvement on the one that came with the timers for those that even received it.

http://www.rimpo.org/s1v2/

If anyone finds any bugs in it, let me know and I'll make the necessary corrections.
Chas
Hottop P/B
gdahl

Post by gdahl »

Chas,

Nice work!

Gary Dahl
Niko

Post by Niko »

So that's the ever-elusive timer manual huh?
Well I'm glad Gary and I finally get to see it! I agree, really nice work Chas. Now I'm going to print it out so I can file it away with the other manuals where it belongs.
I'm surprised that Chris doesn't post these as PDF's on his website for all the machines that he sells, but I just noticed why...it's a lot of work!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I wouldn't call that the elusive manual. I'd call that the replacement for the elusive manual. Not only did I rewrite the content that was in the original, I also added a fair amount of new material. I fear I overwrote the original file, but if I do locate a copy of the original, I'll post it just for grins. In the original, the examples were in 24 hour time, the explanations often used different text than actually appears on the display, and some of the text was still in Italian.

I did send a Word version to Chris so he can decide whether or not to include this version in the future and so he can edit it further if he chooses.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “VII General Q&A”