Wet puck

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
boomdijk

Wet puck

Post by boomdijk »

Hello everyone,

My name is Johan and i live in the Netherlands.

I have a la spaz v2 (plumbed in) now for a couple of months and i love it. Been to a barista course and happily pouring my shot and drinking them too!

But i have a question or 2:
- is it normal that the puck of coffee in the portafilter is wet when your shot is ready and you throw out the puck?
- when you use the pre infusion. Do i add the pre infusion time to the pour time. So 4 sec of pi and then 21 sec of actual pouring or does the pi time not count to the pour... Do you get my drift?

Thanks...

Johan
slo
Barista

Re: Wet puck

Post by slo »

Hello Johan.

Yes, wet pucks are completely normal.
Yes, total shot time should include pre-infusion.
With a programmable pre-infusion machine I would recommend that you always specify the pre-infusion time and total time.
For me it is; 8 seconds pre-infusion and 30 second pour for a total of 38 seconds. The total time for the shot is really nothing more than the time that you need to get a good extraction. 25 seconds is indeed a good start for most coffee blends and certainly will give good results but it may be adjusted to suit your personal taste, the coffee, the grinder and the overall shot preparation as well.
The pre-infusion time and effect will depend on the dose, line pressure, tamping pressure, and so many other parameter that you cannot take this part of the shot off the total shot time.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
JonF

Post by JonF »

My theory (AKA wild guess) is that this also relates to temp control. I got dry pucks with my Livia HE machine, but I think it was because once the residual water in the HE and the head itself might have became hot enough to change over to steam, and push the water thru the puck. Anyway, I like the S1 way more. (Side benefit of a controlled temp: Way easier cleanup as the residue is not baked on as thoroughly)
Endo

Post by Endo »

I've had both.

I find you get a wetter puck for certain coffees and freshness. Also, as you would suspect, the finer you grind, the wetter the puck on top.

Return to “VII General Q&A”