Brass Diffuser

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
txrpls

Brass Diffuser

Post by txrpls »

After my deciding to look elsewhere for my parts rather than my previous supplier, I found a guy in San Antonio who works on LaSpaziale and other machines. He advised that he did indeed have the brass diffuser disk that I was looking for. I went by to pick one up (at about half the price of the normal guy) and discovered that the hole pattern was different and it was maybe 2mm thicker. The hole pattern still has 10 holes, but they are not in a perfect circle like the original disk. Every other hole in the pattern is closer to the center hole. I decide to try it anyway. One thing I have always wondered about on this forum is guys using approx. 14g of coffee for doubles. Mine would generally take 18 to 18.5g without any bolt head impression in the grounds. I'm now down to 16g with the new diffuser and the wet puck still shows a little bolt head impression. I will probably reduce to 15-15.5g. So now I am beginning to wonder if maybe I had a non standard diffuser to start with?
Endo

Re: Brass Diffuser

Post by Endo »

You can see both the old 13mm and new 11mm discs if you click on the "VI Site" link at the top of the screen and then scroll down to the bottom of the page. I own both discs and alternate weekly when swapping screens out.

I don't notice much difference, except the new thinner one allows about 2g more (up to about 18g) to be added.

With the new triple basket, you can use the thicker disc and have the best of all worlds.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

txrpls wrote:So now I am beginning to wonder if maybe I had a non standard diffuser to start with?
I am afraid so...

At the bottom of this page you will see the 2 type of blocks. s1v1/index.php

edit: just been beaten to the punch by Endo. :smile:
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Thanks for the info. I never noticed those links on the right. Great resource. Since it appears that my favorite supplier (not) is the only supplier, I'll have to do without the triple.

Return to “VII General Q&A”