Timer questions

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
CanAmSteve

Timer questions

Post by CanAmSteve »

Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else, but I am having problems getting my S1 Mk II timer to function. I have searched the archives and downloaded the better manual (thanks!) but I must still be missing something.

It did not come installed (I am in the UK) or even with installation instructions, but I did get some help from the retailer and believe I have it connected properly. It powers up and the Timer switch inside the top is set to ON.

First off, it is not obvious or intuitive to me which selection is ON when moving through the timer options - when I go to "Timer Selectio", one option is flashing and one is solid. So say we have ON flashing and OFF not flashing. It's not obvious to me which is the current active setting (sorry, thick). Is the flashing setting active or the "not flashing" setting? I could rationalize it as being either...

I have run through the programming with both options (I think...) yet the timer doesn't actually do anything. It says the date and shows the next (for example) off time, but that time passes and the machine does not turn off.

Thanks for any insight - SteveP
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Timer questions

Post by chas »

Have you read the Timer Manual that I wrote?

s1v2/images/Vivaldi%20Timer%20Instructions.pdf
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
CanAmSteve

Post by CanAmSteve »

Yes - thanks. I have the manual you updated and it has been a big help. I think one of my problems was having an incorrect end time that screwed up the programming.

But I still don't really understand which state (solid on or flashing) indicates a value of on/off has been set.

Your manual says

1.4 “Timer Slectio” Mode
With the button confirm Timer mode. The following message is shown on the display:
On the top line: Timer
On the bottom line: OFF – ON (with flashing ON)
With the buttons select:
OFF If you want to disable use of the timer function to turn the S1 on and off.
ON If you want to enable the timer to turn the S1 on and off at the programmed times, then
confirm it with the button

Which I am afraid suggests but does not make it clear which mode, flashing or not flashing, indicates "selection". That is, if ON is flashing, does it indicate ON? (probably) Or does the solid OFF indicate OFF? I mean, a flashing standby LED on the control panel means off...

Maybe it's because I have a background in technical training that I am able to imagine that either one is equally valid, not obvious and confusing (to me). Many thanks - SteveP

PS - I must also say that the "logic" for programming the timer is pretty unusual. We all have lots of experience now with timers/clocks/etc. which must be programmed with only a couple of buttons. This timer has three buttons, yet manages to do less than most with two. Hint - Mode/Select/Set, differentiate between single button pushed vs two buttons pushed
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I don't have that timer (mine gets up before me & turns on the machine) but I'd say when the ON is flashing that means you have the option to select ON as your desired function. Same for off. If you push "some" button when the ON is flashing my guess is that it will stay ON & stop flashing. Which button that is I can't say but it must be mentioned in the manual.
Last edited by JohnB on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

John is correct. Flashing does mean that selection is currently active. In other words that's the field that will be acted upon when you press any of the keys. Typically Up or Down Arrows will change the value of the flashing field. OK will move to the next screen if there is only one field on the current screen or it will move it to the next field if there are multiple fields to set on a single screen.

The best example of the latter case is setting the time: 10:00 AM. When you first navigate to this screen 10 flashes. The arrows change the value. OK locks the current value in and then 00 starts blinking. The arrows change the minutes value and OK locks in the current value and AM starts blinking. The arrows toggle between AM and PM and OK locks in the final value and takes you to the next set up screen.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CanAmSteve

Post by CanAmSteve »

Thanks - I am still having problems getting it to work. As I mentioned, it is showing its next off time as 7PM, but it doesn't actually do anything. Still on at 8PM.

I'll go through the programming again and if that doesn't help, I'll experiment to see if the timer on/off inside the machine is wired backwards. Having worked with both the timer and drain kit options now, I'd believe anything :-)

Thanks again - SteveP
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If we assume that the timer works as designed and that this issue is an operator malfunction, I can only think of one way the Next On time could show as 7:00AM and not actually turn on at 7:00AM the following day. Since you can have three separate ON/Off cycles per day with a different set of three each day, that gives 21 potential ON times per week. Since the next ON time doesn't show what day is programmed with that On time, it could be that you only have a future day this week programmed for 7:00AM and that day hasn't rolled around yet.

I am a minimalist user of the timer function. I use one, same on/off time every day of the week - On 6:00AM, Off 8:30PM. So if I cycle through my program it looks like this:
Sun - On 1 6:00AM
Sun - Off 1 8:30PM
Sun - On 2 8:30PM
Sun - Off 2 8:30PM
Sun - On 3 8:30PM
Sun - Off 3 8:30PM

The remaining 6 days look the same. This manner of programming is how you disable the other two daily ON/Off times if you don't need them.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CanAmSteve

Post by CanAmSteve »

I'm mystified. The programming is similar to the last suggestion (sightly different times) with one start time per day with the rest all OFF times. ON is blinking when I check the timer enable screen. The hardwired Timer ON/OFF switch is ON (also tried it off, just in case).

It appears my timer is powered up, saves its programs and the S1 has its internal switch enabled, but does not turn the machine on or off.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

There is also a menu item in the timer setup to Enable or Disable the timer. Since you didn't explicitly state that this is set to enabled, you should double check this. It's covered in section 1.4 in the manual.
Chas
Hottop P/B
CanAmSteve

Post by CanAmSteve »

Chris Nachtrieb solved my problem (Well, I am a customer - I have an Expobar at the cottage in Maine :-)

Anyway, I'm sure you're dying for the details.

You have to keep in mind that the S1 power switch is more of a "state" switch. When it is "off" it is still on - note the flashing green LED even when "off" (I know - "Standby").

So - it needs to go into a total power down state, then come back up with the switch for the timer ON and the timer present for it to "sense" the timer is present.

I had unplugged to install the timer, but then plugged back in before remembering to flip the switch inside the top.

So my timer was powered up, but not "sensed" by the magic silicon inside the S1 brain.

Most of you in the US probably bought your machine from Chris and it probably came all fettled. My machine was shipped to me directly from the UK distributor (closer than the dealer to my home) and the timer was separate so I had to connect it, which I did after installation. Hence my out-of-synch problem.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

And yes - as is not "spelled out" in the manual(s). A flashing ON or OFF means that value is "active".

Thanks again to Chris as well
Last edited by CanAmSteve on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I got mine from LaSpaziale so I'll have to keep this in mind if I get the timer.

Right now the timer sells for $234 CAN, so I have trouble spending the same amount of money on a timer as I paid for my first espresso machine. But eventually, after getting up a late a few more times, I'll break down and buy it.

Might as well ask......anybody have a used one to sell? Chas??? :?:
CanAmSteve

Post by CanAmSteve »

Well, the timer at least has some development costs in it. It looks like you get a break in Canada on the drain kit - the one Canadian retailer I looked at online had it for about CDN$40 - about a quarter of my cost in the UK. Mind you it didn't show the extra drip tray (pre-drilled) as part of it. Not that it is needed.

And a bit of follow-up. I have never had a reply from La Spaziale in Italy.

Return to “VII General Q&A”