Pressure Regulator Setting??

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
JohnB

Pressure Regulator Setting??

Post by JohnB »

For those of you with a pressure regulator with gauge can you tell me how much of a pressure drop you see from static pressure(everything off) to programmable pre infusion(no pump) running. My static pressure can be as high as 50 psi depending on the well pump cycle but as soon as I turn on the p/i it drops to 35 psi. Typical?? Did you set your p/i line pressure at static or with water running?
fiddlefly

Re: Pressure Regulator Setting??

Post by fiddlefly »

With water being drawn to the machine, i set it @ 30
My pressure does not fluctuate as much as yours does
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

fiddlefly wrote:With water being drawn to the machine, i set it @ 30
My pressure does not fluctuate as much as yours does
Thanks for the reply! City water I imagine? With a well there is a set differential between the hi & low cut off so the pump motor isn't running all the time. I'm going to play with the settings on my limit switch & see if I can improve the current situation by closing up the differential a little.
rick.monroe

Post by rick.monroe »

I haven't tried the p/i yet, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the title of the topic is right...

My city water pressure is about 58 psi. I set the regulator to 30 psi, with no flow. When I run a shot (no coffee), the regulator gauge shows just under 26 psi. When the shot stops, the gauge returns to 30 psi. This is repeatable.

When I run a shot with coffee, the regulator gauge shows about the same drop while water is flowing. However, when the flow stops, the regulator returns to 30 and then climbs to 35 or 36 psi. This is also repeatable.

If I remove the portafilter and run another shot without coffee, the gauge returns to 30. I'm surprised at this.

Question 1: Why am I seeing higher pressure at the regulator after running a shot with coffee?

Question 2: Should I really set the pressure regulator while water is flowing?

By the way, I'm finding all the information on this forum really valuable. Thanks much.
rick.monroe

Post by rick.monroe »

Sorry, I did a search and answered one of my questions: the pressure regulator should be set with water running thru the group. :oops:

But the other question remains. Why the difference in line pressure between a shot with coffee and a shot without.

I'll look for the p/i change tonight.
rick.monroe

Post by rick.monroe »

JohnB,

My regulator gauge shows 30 psi with no flow of water. When p/i runs, the indicated pressure drops 4 psi, to about 26. Then, when the pump turns on, the indicated pressure drops another 1 psi.

This was repeatable (3 times), all without coffee (too late in the evening unfortunately). I'll give it a try with coffee tomorrow, since that seems to make a difference.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

rick.monroe wrote:JohnB,

My regulator gauge shows 30 psi with no flow of water. When p/i runs, the indicated pressure drops 4 psi, to about 26. Then, when the pump turns on, the indicated pressure drops another 1 psi.

This was repeatable (3 times), all without coffee (too late in the evening unfortunately). I'll give it a try with coffee tomorrow, since that seems to make a difference.
You will find your p/i more effective if you raise the line pressure a little higher. While my static pressure will vary depending on the well pump cycle my line pressure holds steady at 35 psi. I do see a slight dip below 35 when the machine pump first kicks in but the pressure returns to 35 psi almost immediately.

Return to “VII General Q&A”