Temperature

If you have a question or comment specific to the VII that doesn't fit in any other VII category, submit it here.
bgroove

Temperature

Post by bgroove »

Hello,
New owner/member here. I inadvertently switched modes from the VII to VI (then back to VII). I could have sworn that before I reset the system, there were 5 LEDs lit for the temp offset. I just wasn't sure if it was +5C or -5C. I assumed it would have been +5, but called CC just in case. The service rep confirmed that for about the past month or so, he's set some machines to +5C prior to shipping them out. I got mine just about a month ago. I've searched through the posts and found that several owners have their VII set to -1, -2, -3C. Can it be possible that the offset is incorrect? Would the offset need to be changed, perhaps after a break-in period?
The reason why I ask is that the shots really taste quite bitter and have a very strong aftertaste. I've tried to remain very consistent using 15g/bottomless portafilter/30lb tamp, and adjust grind for 25second pour, while changing the set temp from 92-95C without any noticeable improvement. Any suggestions?
JohnB

Re: Temperature

Post by JohnB »

So you wiped out the offset & then reset it to +5? +5 is quite a change from what most of our machines came with. Mine is set to 0 & as you say most are in the minus numbers. Have you tried a simple temp check with a digital thermometer & cut down styrofoam cup? It won't be dead accurate but if you are running hot you should be able to see it.

Return to “VII General Q&A”