HELP!!! - Meter needle in red area when S1 warms up.

If you have a question or comment specific to the S1 that doesn't fit in any other S1 category, submit it here.
Johnnycappuccino

Post by Johnnycappuccino »

I just installed a used S1 that I purchased this last week and I am noticing that the needle on the meter is going well into the red area as high as 2.2.
The the green/red borderline looks to be about 1.35. Since I am completely new to this and don't know what a normal warmed machine should read I am somewhat concerned and hope that I didn't buy a broken machine. I did talk to someone at the company (a restaurant supply co.) where the machine was originally purchased and was told that they would change the thermostat first
and if that didn't correct things they would than change the triac and lastly if it still didn't improve than they would change the circuit board. This hit and miss trial and error way of doing things didn't make me feel very confident in their ability to diagnose and repair a problem. Perhaps this is the way that these things are done I don't know. All I know is I can just hear my wife saying "I told you not to buy it used!!!!!!"

Can some kind soul out there share their experience / knowledge of this situation.
Most appreciated - Johnnycappuccino
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's just a bad sensor...
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... tempsensor
Around $52 from Chris'.
It's pretty easy to install.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

...and you'll get the new type that works better, too.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Forgot to mention...
did you see this thread?
http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

At the bottom of that thread is a link to photos that show replacement of the old sensor with the same sensor (at least once you get through 3 pages of wedding photos!) However, replacement of that sensor with the new one is a different procedure.

Somewhere there is another thread that discusses replacing the old sensor with the new sensor.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Johnnycappuccino

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! Crisis averted!

Hi everyone I'm back with good news! I went to my local La Spaziale dealer and bought the S1 temp sensor for the steam boiler. I installed it tonight and what a difference it made! I can't believe the S1 works as well as it does now. It's pressure readings are steady and not up and down like a runaway roller coaster. The nanometer remains between 1.15 and 1.35 bar and not once in 1 1/2 hours did it go into the red. Even my wife who is usually skeptical of my wild and crazy ideas ( Like buying a used espresso machine) is impressed and excited about the machine now. I originally was interested in the Rancillio Silva but got the impression that it can be a fussy machine with a steeper learning curve that led to considering machines by Pasquini & Expobar and lastly the Nuovo Simonelli Oscar. I thought it was nice, simple & consistent to use though not very flexible and didn't have hot water nozzle. This is something that I already really appreciate on the S1. On the other hand it got good reviews and could probably handle a small party (This is something that is important to me.). Also it is only 20% more than the American price here in Canada ( $1200 verses $1000 ) so I figured that was my machine. Then I started to read about the S1 and there is almost no negative print about it, just alot of glowing reviews from happy people. The price in Canada is kind of high ( $2500 to $3000 for a Vivaldi not a Vivaldi II which I'm not sure is even available here yet. ) This was to be a 20th anniversary gift for my wife and I so I wanted something decent that can be used to entertain family & friends. Anyway I found this for sale online in Toronto and bought it along with a La Spaziale Junior grinder (made by Bregant also called the Gensaco Junior) three stainless frothing jugs and dial thermometer for $1250 which I thought was reasonable. But last night I begain to wonder and a sense of dread came over me and in my head I could hear my angry wife saying "I told you not to buy that used piece of junk!" When the part mounted simply and the S1 worked as well as it did then I felt better, but the moment of truth came after making 5 or 6 shots and then making my first cappuccino.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Again thank you everyone for your input.

Johnnycappuccino has finally arrived!
Niko

Post by Niko »

That's the best news I heard all day!
Really glad to hear it worked out for you and the Spaz.

Did you install the newer style sensor or just simply replaced it with the same type?

You'll be glad to hear that your S1 can handle a Medium or perhaps a Large party depending on the Barista :P
I've pulled 60 shots on average for some of our parties with no stress on the machine whatsoever.
Johnnycappuccino

It was the newer type of sensor and the price was a reasonable $49.60!
I was afraid of Canadian price gouging on parts but this retailer is very fair.............so far. Any way thanks again Niko.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nice!
The newer style is much better.

Return to “S1 General Q&A”