Temperature Setting

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
ddunn

Temperature Setting

Post by ddunn »

In his book, Espresso Coffee Professional Techniques David Schomer says 103.5 degrees F is the ideal temperature for espresso extraction. My S-1 came with the temperature set at 95 C or 103 F. What temperature setting are you using?
BobG

Post by BobG »

I think you have a typo -- Schomer recommends 203.5 F. So, I use 95 C as I use his Vita Blend which translates to about 203F. That seems to work well for me, but I haven't experimented with changing the temperature from 95C.

I can tell you that I feel the taste of the cappuccino's I make using the S1 (using his Vita blend) is as good as his cafe. I go there every time I need beans as it is only a drive for me...

Bob
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

I like to experiment. I've run shots at 88C and 95C and tried to taste the difference.

Bob
ddunn

Temperature Setting

Post by ddunn »

Yes, I meant 203.5 degrees F. Thanks
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I've varied the temp a few degrees up and down from 95C and keep ending up back at 95C.

Occasionally I'll find a coffee that tastest a little better at 93 or 94. I can't say I've found one whose taste improved above 95C.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
dc_ch

Post by dc_ch »

So as a newbie am I reading this right that I should start trying 95C for brewing the espresso?

I have so far had my new VII at the factory 93C and been very pleased with the results.

I know the milage may vary on this, but generally what happens to the flavor as you increase and decrease the Temp.

I just pulled a shot using Intelligentsia Black Cat and upped the temp to 95C for this one and man it was awfully smokey tasting. I will play with it some more. now that I have some of the basics down a bit better, I am venturing into the other aspects that this machine offers.

Carl B
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Just my observations with my SII.

The first week, I left it at the default of 93C. Shots were great.

Then I started to up the temp. Pretty much at 94C & 95C, the shots got bitter, so I went back to 93C, and I am happy.

I have been using almost strictly Dry Processed Ethiopians (Sidamo, IMV Yirg, Lekempti), with the occassional 50-50 blend with Brazil. 93C is still the best for those beans/blends so far.

I know every blend/bean may have a sweet spot temp-wise, and others work good at a wide range of temps. I just wanted to say that there is nothing wrong with the default of 93C if that tastes best. And based on the beans I use most of the time, I think my machine will be at 93C most of the time.
woodchuck

Post by woodchuck »

Only had my VII since last Friday, so no expert in this area. That said, I have tried CCC's Toscano (my favorite), Olympia's Big Truck and Intelligentsia's Black Cat. They all seemed a little bit bright for me at 93 from what I am used to pulling on the commerical machines - the Big Truck especially. At 94 they seem to mellow out and still hold the caramel and chocolate. At 95 they have lost some complexity with just the bitter/sweet chocolate flavors remaining. I can see how the Africans might work better at a lower temperature with all that fruit. A nice Yirg in definately in the works.

Cheers

Ian
richardcoffee
God Shot

Re: Temperature Setting - espresso donkey decaf

Post by richardcoffee »

We had some kind of nice weather here in Indiana about a week ago and I was able to do some roasting. One of my roasts was Sweet Maria's Espresso Donkey decaf that I took to a light Vienna roast. Normally I drink lattes but I tried a shot today at 94 degrees C. and it was very bitter. I reset to 92 and the shot was nice and smooth - not bitter or sour, just right. It's nice to have that kind of control over temperature.
gene

Re: Temperature Setting

Post by gene »

Same thing happened to me recently. 16G shots seemed bitter. Experimented with a range of temperatures as I went from 97 to 94 to 93 to 92C. Suddenly shots smoothed out and were much sweeter. No more bitterness. Actually a big difference in 93 and 92.

Past month or so have been blending Malawi Mapanga(light, fruitish) and Eth Harrar Deep Blue(very cocoaish). Had bought 20 pounds of Malawi and 10 pounds of Deep Blue from Zazzy Z's after sampling the shots from their coffee bar. I roasted both to around City+. The Deep Blue has chocolate even at this light roast.

I like the shots from my La Spaz much better. the move down to 92 was inspirational. Then I went on a quest of trying to find out why. The comments from Jim Schulman on Home-barista seemed to make a lot of sense. Left specific equipment in the quote for better understanding of his point:

Fully extracted espresso almost always tastes smoother and gentler, and the lower the dose and the finer the grind, the fuller the extraction.

He goes on to say, in another post:
and give the Oscar a very long flush to get down to around 90C. The cool extraction will control the bitternees and sweeten the shot; the ristretto shot and fine grind will control the acidity an give you a full extraction.

These general principles seem to hold true with all equipment.

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”