Naked portafilter--how many grams

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
YNPpro

Naked portafilter--how many grams

Post by YNPpro »

I just received my Mini Vivaldi II from Chris Coffee and I'm learning how to use it. I got a bottomless portafilter to help my learn how to make good shots. I have read that about 14 grams were about right for a double. The bottomless portafilter seems to hold over 20 grams. In general how may grams are recommended with this portafilter for a 1.5 to 1.75 oz double?

thanks
diggi

Re: Naked portafilter--how many grams

Post by diggi »

I'm giving a very oversimplified response. 16-18g. Going to depend on grind, beans, personal tastes. But start in this range and you'll be safe. You'll do plenty more reading to deviate from this very basic starting point.
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

I've enjoyed it more by using the double basket in the bottomless and still using about 14 grams of coffee. Using the bigger basket and 20 grams has often caused me more trouble than it's worth.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

YNPpro wrote:The bottomless portafilter seems to hold over 20 grams.
The new Bottomless that CC sells now comes with a triple basket It can hold more than 20 grams without any contact with the screen bolt. I have used this basket a lot with oversize doses. By oversize, I mean anything above 15.5g, which is the soft limit, to avoid touching the screen bolt, that I give myself using a thick dispersion screen and not tamping very hard.

I have made very successful shots with up to 22 grams of a coffee that needed to be up-dosed for my taste in the triple. 80% of my shots are made with the double basket at a dose lower than 15.5g.

Using the triple basket is sometime difficult because of the very large head space that results. I have taken the habit of a firm tamp and achieving ristretto shots when using the triple basket.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
YNPpro

Post by YNPpro »

thank you for your responses!! I have replaced the basket from the bare portafilter with one from the double portafilter. I did not realize that it was a triple basket. If I use 15 grams in the double basket in the bare portafilter there is a large gap between the coffee and the nut in the group head--much more that 2 or 3 mm's. Is that ok if your opinion?

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”