U S Olympic Team and Espresso

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
gene

U S Olympic Team and Espresso

Post by gene »

About a month ago Baratza's Kyle Anderson sent me a new Vario since I had minor probs with old one. In process of dialing in new grinder started with around 16.8 grams in a double. Using 4-5 day old C+ Eth Jimma Nigusie Lemma and Kenya
Got your attention. Ha Not trying to trick you just need help with prob.

Well could very well be making espresso for O Team this Summer. Right now need to focus on correlation between dose qty and shot quality.
About three weeks ago, thanks to Kyle Anderson at Baratza, he sent me a new Vario. Had probs with old one. Long process in dialing in new one.
Started out with 16.8 grams. After few days noticed off-taste and lack of "god shot" quality. Had posted recently on this site and got great responses. Made me realize prob was not lack of crema. Boiled down to shot qty in doubles basket.

Using 4-5 day old Kenya Kirinyaga and Eth Jimma-Nigusie Lemma as standard test roasts. Settings on the S1 process 15# tamp with slight nutation. Using SLO's advice usually 93C, approx 1.7 oz in 38 sec. This is all arrived at by adj the grind. It all boiled down to the grind, as it should.

Now 16.8 was horrible. I thought it was lack of crema. Boy what an education I just got re crema. Wow!

Turns out it was all qty in my doubles basket. Past few days have done tons of experimenting. Even with 15.1 G still noticed very faint bolt head imprint in puck. Finally arrived at 14.9. Last night Counter Culture Peru Valle del Santuario Decaf was a god shot(hey, I occasionally stray from my own roast).
This AM Eth Jimma was a godshot. Best I have felt in a month. Is it the bolt head?

Really would appreciate your chiming in with your qty, temp and tamp. It really is a blessing to hear from everyone. Makes us all better.

Final note. I run a non-profit watershed group. The US Olympic paddling team will be here on my river this Aug for the try-outs for the next Olympics. Check out "forf.weebly.com".
Emory and Henry College will be here next month to help me begin cleaning the river. Also Appalachian State has pledged. Have NCCC coming from Mississippi next month.
And just found out New York Univ Architecture Dept is going to do a project with me this Sproing-have to get espresso technique down pat!

I treat all these folks to their first taste of something other than Charbucks. Have to be the best I can be from the barista standpoint.
That is why it is so crucial I get better. I really do need my La Speciale S1 friends to step up to the plate and lets give them the best possible espresso experience.
Please post your S1 technique!!!!!!
Many, many thanks
gene
gene

Re: U S Olympic Team and Espresso

Post by gene »

Oh and if some of you are hesitant about posting your technique on this forum just post to genecounts@verizon.net. You have my solemn oath I would never share this info.
Thanks,
gene
oton

Post by oton »

I don't get what's the problem. What's wrong with your shots? Too bitter? Too sour? Thin body? Overpowered? Need descriptors :)

Bolt puck impressions are normal with La Spaz group. There are somethings that are different between this machine and E61's. This is one. :smile:

The La Spaz group was designed for Italian espresso in mind (14g) so great doses lead to little head space and are prone to channeling, screen/bolt impression... Anyway, do you use the thinner or the thicker dispersion block?
Endo

Post by Endo »

Doesn't sound like you need much help. All coffees require you to experiment with dose and grind. Even the WBC champions will spend 80% of their time working on these elements.

The ideal Vivaldi double dose ranges from about 15g to 17g. Times range from 25 to 40 sec.

If you want to achieve the best possible, by 2 lbs of fresh ~1 week old coffee (whichever is your favourite). Put second 1 lb in the freezer and practice for a week with the first 1 lb bag. Serve the 2nd bag for the big event.
gene

Post by gene »

"Bolt head impressions are normal with the La Spaz". That MEANS A LOT to me. Phew! First I heard it was normal after all.

14.9 to 15 is dose have settled on recently. Light tamp, 1.5 Oz in 36-37 seconds. And clean the machine more often than I used to do.
Fresh coffee? Have tried Red Bird, PT's, Black Cat and Counter Culture in past six months to compare to my roast from Gene Cafe. Have shared my roasts with folks around the country. So far only one I worry about that tastes superior is Counter Culture.
That is CC straight from NC headquarters, not from shops in DC area. DC Counter Culture from different shops is sometimes, not always, 8-10 days post roast. All above is strictly IMHO with a lot of feedback.

And yes, after talking with Tim at Chris's Coffee I do have the light dispersion block.

"Don't get whats the problem"? Problem is constant exploration to try to get out of La Spaz all I possibly can. Enjoy being inspired to never stand still, always experimenting.
That is why I am always exploring different sites to read up on everyones experiences.

Thanks Endo and Oton!

gene

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”