Italian Espresso Institute - the definition

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
GDK
God Shot

Italian Espresso Institute - the definition

Post by GDK »

Here is the "official" definition of espresso Italiano according the Italian Espresso Institute:

"The following are some important conditions to obtain Espresso Italiano – though these alone would not be adequate to fulfill the quality
requirements:
• Necessary portion of ground coffee 7 g ± 0,5
• Exit temperature of water from the unit 88°C ± 2°C
• Temperature of the drink in the cup 67°C ± 3°C
• Entry water pressure 9 bar ± 1
• Percolation time 25 seconds ± 2,5 seconds
• Viscosity at 45°C > 1,5 mPa s
• Total fat > 2 mg/ml
• Caffeine < 100 mg/cup
• Milliliters in the cup (including foam) 25 ml ± 2,5"

Here is the link: http://www.espressoitaliano.org/doc/EIC ... -%20LQ.pdf

I knew most of that but the recommended brew temperature is quite a bit lower than what people usually talk about at the various forums. Any successful experience with 88C?
slo
Barista

Re: Italian Espresso Institute - the definition

Post by slo »

There seems to be a lower average temperature preference in Europe than the average in America. But notice that it is "the Exit temperature of water". If they mean the water measured when coming out of the dispersion screen, on my machine this correlate to approximately 92°C setting with a 3°C offset.

I usually keep the temperature lower than most at 92-93 °C, which works good with the coffees that I like. This is nothing more than personal taste preferences.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
oton

Post by oton »

Yes. I always use between 88ºC-90ºC, but only for espresso italiano, which is generally far more roasted than new school coffee and usually contains robusta which I like it a lot.. More temperature and you lose aromas plus you're going to increase the bitterness.

Extended temp range is a good feature, also the whole temperature selection feature it's a must in my opinion for an espresso machine. That's why I bought the vivaldi over a plain HX.

Oh, and for Italian coffees I change brew times too. I usually count from 25 to 30 seconds plus 6 of preinfusion for new school ones, so 31s to 36s total time. For italian, I include the preinfusion time, so total time it's between 23s - 28s. Of course dose size it's different too; forget about 20 grams giant doses.

Old School Vs. New School

Endo

Post by Endo »

oton wrote:Yes. I always use between 88ºC-90ºC, but only for espresso italiano.....
As mentioned earlier, 88 dec C in the cup is actually a much higher grouphead setting. Based on my "pre-Scace" days with a styrofoan cup, I would guess this would be equivalent to as high as a 95 dec C setting on the Vivaldi.

The retailer that sold me my Mini is a REAL old-school Italian guy and he sets his to 100C. :shock: (5 deg C expanded scale). His house espresso blend has been around about 50 years and uses Robusta as well.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the old, traditional oily Italian blends typically use a higher temp. The new, light roast, 3rd wave SOs usually lower temp. (Generalization obviously, but still.....)
oton

Post by oton »

I have no idea, but generally on my machine and for my palate:

Darker = less temp
Lighter = need more temp.

Most italian blends I have works well at 89-91. More than that and be ready to drink a purgative instead of a coffee. Try to pull a new school coffee at 89ºC and it will be like if you drink Alien blood. :roll:
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

GDK wrote:I knew most of that but the recommended brew temperature is quite a bit lower than what people usually talk about at the various forums. Any successful experience with 88C?
Success story (is it? :smile: ): I once got beans that were only drinkable at 88C. Tasted quite good - I remember some black bilberries. Any higher terrible roast notes were coming forth.

But I'm rarely exceeding 93C, yet I mostly drink single origins, roasted City+ or Full City+.

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”