Tamping for perfect shot, how far down?

For generic information on making espresso alt.coffee, coffee geek, Sweet Maria's web site and many others excel at this tutorial level of information. However, if you've been there and done that but have specific questions and concerns about getting the best espresso on the S1/VII/Mini-VII/Dream/Dream T, post those topics here.
UFGators

Tamping for perfect shot, how far down?

Post by UFGators »

I noticed that my Reg Barber tamper does not go all of the way down to bottom of my empty spaz double basket. Using CCC toscano I can only get a good tamp using 17-18 grams of coffee because once the tamper clears the ridge it stops at the top of the tamper. Is this normal? Using 18 grams I can get a good tamp but this doesnt allow me to downdose if I so choose. Is this a tamper problem or coffee problem? My coffee is approaching the 3rd week since it was roasted so I suspect this is part of the problem.
JohnB

Re: Tamping for perfect shot, how far down?

Post by JohnB »

I checked my Coffeelab tamper in several of my empty baskets & the tamper stops with the upper edge aligned with the ridge. I've had no problems tamping 13-14g doses & up.

Return to “Pursuit of the God Shot”