caffeine contents?

All things beans. Discussions about green and roasted coffee beans - where to purchase them, how to roast them, how best to grind them for the S1/V2/Mini/Dream/Dream T. Also, discussions about grinder and roaster hardware.
zoey

caffeine contents?

Post by zoey »

I've been searching the net for information regarding the caffeine content of specific coffees. Thus far, I have been unsuccessful.

In particular, I have been looking for information about decaffeinated beans.

The only thing I have found is that the FDA requires that a coffee's caffeine content level must be reduced by no less than 97.5% in order to be labeled as "decaffeinated".

Does anyone have any ideas where I might find specific information?

Thanks!
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

That seems to be the number that the decaffeinaters shoot for. With Decaf coffee the process used may be more important then the exact numbers. I only buy water processed decaf & of those the Mexican water processed beans seem to have the best flavor.

Are you trying to avoid high caffeine blends?
Niko

Post by Niko »

I thought the number was 97% but I guess that 1/2% is what gets ya' :D
I've blended some decaf in with regular stuff to make a shot that was 50/50 for people who can't handle loads of caffeine.
I think an average espresso shot is between 32-40mg of caffeine. Not bad considering a big cup of joe is about 160-200 :shock:
...at least the cups I drink are about that, I make the 10 cup french press just for myself sometimesImage
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Seems to depend on the blend & whether they are mixing in some Robusta or not. The S/M Liquid Amber had a much stronger caffeine kick then the Black Cat. I find I get about the same buzz from a mug of French Press as a 16-18g double.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I kept searching last night and the only information I could find was about Starbucks coffees (and there seemed to be several discrepancies in that information as well).

I did find that some processes tend to extract more caffeine than others.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Some general info on caffeine content here.
http://www.coffee-makers-cafe.com/caffeine.html

Decaf Process:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination
zoey

Post by zoey »

Thank you Sir. I too ran across the Wikipedia article.

So far I've seen anywhere from 0-18.5mg/1 oz shot.

Return to “Coffee Beans, Grinders, & Roasters”