Extraction temp

All things beans. Discussions about green and roasted coffee beans - where to purchase them, how to roast them, how best to grind them for the S1/V2/Mini/Dream/Dream T. Also, discussions about grinder and roaster hardware.
Consty
Latte

Extraction temp

Post by Consty » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:30 pm

Hi there,

Last months I gradually developed a grind-dose-tamp-time and clean routine with much help from reading all of your various posts (and video's! Very instrumental Niko, I also have the doserless M4!)

I never really spent time on varying the extraction temperature until now. Is this based on pure personal taste preference or are there some general ideas about the temerature and certain elements of taste it produces?
In analogy I'm thinking of the extraction time, short gives more thin and sour , long tends to produce more bitter and burn.
Curious about what some of you have to say on this.

Cheers,
Constant

JohnB
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by JohnB » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Well the ideal temp varies with each blend but too low a temp gives a sour taste & too high bitter.
Speedster/Bosco Sorrento/ K10WBC/K30/Bunnzilla
KvdW/Pullman/RB Tampers
Hario NCA 3 & 5s/Wooden Neck Dripper/Buono
Zassenhaus Knee Mill
Modded Hottop B

Niko

Post by Niko » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:14 pm

Mostly single farm espresso is going through my machines and I find that the darker the roast, the lower the temp and vice versa for the lighter roasts.
This is not always the case but it's a rough starting point.

Mizspresso
Espresso

Re: Extraction temp

Post by Mizspresso » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:45 am

Any suggestions for the Blue Bottle Hayes Valley? I bought some and have been disappointed. Either it is not intended for milk-based drinks or I am really off. It gets lost in the cappuccino. I've been pulling it at 92 degrees because it's a somewhat darker roast than the Brazilians I've been drinking recently.

Tomorrow I'm going hotter, but not so sure that will help anything. It's better in a macchiato; very smooth and almost velvety. Maybe it's the drink not the temp?

Or or...maybe I'm getting closer to drinking straight espresso?!

Niko
Caffeinus Reappearus

Post by Niko » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:37 pm

That blend would pull great on an old S1 at about 89C, you can always run your VII in S1 mode :wink:
La Spaz VII (with timer) S5 Steam Arm & Passive Pre-Infusion, Mazzer Mini E Type B, MACAP MC4 Doserless,
MACAP Autotamper, 3 Thor tampers, Espro convex & CoffeeLabs tamper.
Scace Device, Alessi steam pitchers, Motta Steam pitcher, etc..

La Spaz S1 S5 Steam Arm w/ progressive preinfusion, Compak K3 Touch Doserless, Espro flat tamp
Hottop P, Behmor, iRoast2 and Gene Cafe

JohnB
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by JohnB » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:28 pm

Niko wrote:That blend would pull great on an old S1 at about 89C, you can always run your VII in S1 mode :wink:
Or play with the offset when you get the board upgraded.
Speedster/Bosco Sorrento/ K10WBC/K30/Bunnzilla
KvdW/Pullman/RB Tampers
Hario NCA 3 & 5s/Wooden Neck Dripper/Buono
Zassenhaus Knee Mill
Modded Hottop B

Niko
Caffeinus Reappearus

Post by Niko » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 pm

...or I can walk 4 feet away to the S1 :wink:

The board upgrade is going to be perfect for this, John. :P
La Spaz VII (with timer) S5 Steam Arm & Passive Pre-Infusion, Mazzer Mini E Type B, MACAP MC4 Doserless,
MACAP Autotamper, 3 Thor tampers, Espro convex & CoffeeLabs tamper.
Scace Device, Alessi steam pitchers, Motta Steam pitcher, etc..

La Spaz S1 S5 Steam Arm w/ progressive preinfusion, Compak K3 Touch Doserless, Espro flat tamp
Hottop P, Behmor, iRoast2 and Gene Cafe

Mizspresso
Espresso

Post by Mizspresso » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:59 am

Well till I get the upgrade, I'm just gonna pull at 91C. I think I will try grinding finer, too, as I've heard this is good at upwards of 30 seconds.

I will leave the geeky stuff to you guys till I'm at least at espresso grade :wink:

coffeeowl
Barista

Post by coffeeowl » Tue May 11, 2010 6:50 pm

I don't know how yours, but mine VII without any upgrade has the superspecial temperature setting described in the upgraded manual - from 91 down to 88 and from 97 up to 100. Found it out only yesterday... I haven't done the homework and wasn't checking for news too often here :oops:
Yet I haven't found a coffee getting better lower then 91C (sometimes I was cheating and doing one flush instead of two to check taste).
Pawel

Mazzer Mini
KyM

Endo
S1 9th Degree Black Belt

Post by Endo » Tue May 11, 2010 8:30 pm

That's the what they call the "Extreme Temp Set" they describe in the owner's manual. It gets activated when you are in STBY and at either the lowest (91C) or highest (97C) and you hold down the 2 cup button.

You can get even more range (from 85C to 120C) if you switch it to V1 mode. (You can use 120C if you want to do green bean shots, that way you can roast and do a shot at the same time! :lol: ).

Another way is to change the "enhanced offset" (which gives you +/-8C range). I typically use this option (since I've been playing with offset a lot lately with the Scace). Just don't forget to record your original offset if it came calibrate from CC.
Endo

LaSpaziale Mini Vivaldi w/progressive p/i
HG-one, B.Vario, Quest M3

"It's the coffee, stupid."

Return to “Coffee Beans, Grinders, & Roasters”