Major grind detents?

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
jemery

Major grind detents?

Post by jemery »

Ok this might be a dumb question, but every once in a while my grind seems to end up right between the major detent settings on the grinder and I am wondering how to get around that. On my grinder the Bratza Forte, the major detents are numbers 1-10 or whatever, and the minor ones A-Z, higher values are coarser. So I will be at like 2-Y and getting like 17 second shot. 2-Z gets me 19 seconds, so I move it to 3-A and all of a sudden it is like 37 seconds. What the heck? It seems like the difference between 3A and 2Z is much bigger than any of the smaller changes or maybe I am doing something wrong. I am not real clear on the proper procedure for changing the grin settings especially the major ones since it says to do it while it is running, but I kind of don't want to grind a bunch of coffee that I won't use or something?

What do you do to tweak your grind setting especially when you have to change the major detent setting, but only trying to make a small change?
Ch83

Re: Major grind detents?

Post by Ch83 »

I think everyone will be slightly different in this regard. I have a mazzer mini and I usually take a couple pulls to get an acceptable grind. Once you are in the range you want then make minor adjustments as needed. Some changes will have to be made per batch of coffee as it ages.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
jemery

Re: Major grind detents?

Post by jemery »

Yeah that is what I do, but sometimes I am like a click away from the next major setting and when I switch to the next major setting it gets all out of whack.

I did find one little workaround actually - change the amount of coffee slightly. Like instead of 18g, switch to 17.5 and that is effectively a couple minor clicks toward the coarser grind.

Return to “Coffee Grinders”