Uh-Oh

Discussion of coffee grinder hardware. How to get the most out of specific grinders. Cleaning and maintenance issues with grinders. Comparison of different grinders.
Mizspresso

Uh-Oh

Post by Mizspresso »

I swore I would stay away from home roasting; just another money sink, and another obsession. Getting good espresso, working on perfect milk, these were enough to occupy my time.

But then I entered a drawing to support the CoffeeKids organization . I won the darned thing. So I will soon be the proud owner of a Sonofresco 2lb tabletop roaster. Oh Gawd! My whole life will be taken over by the coffee habit!

Do any of you know anything about this roaster? And can you recommend any reading I can do to develop some skills doing home roasting?

Here's a pic of the little darling:
Attachments
sonofresco_roaster.jpg
sonofresco_roaster.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 10232 times
JohnB

Re: Uh-Oh

Post by JohnB »

At $3500 retail that's one heck of a first roaster! Congratulations!! I saw one recently in use in a local cafe. Its not all that small & will require a fairly elaborate vent system unless you only use it outside. It runs off either propane or natural gas.
http://www.sonofresco.com/Roaster/Installation.asp

Specs: http://www.sonofresco.com/Roaster/specifications.asp
Endo

Post by Endo »

Kind of impractical for home use.

I'd sell it along with my Vivaldi and get a GS/3.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Endo wrote:Kind of impractical for home use.

I'd sell it along with my Vivaldi and get a GS/3.
If only you had won!! Think about all the GS3 issues you could complain about on Chas's new forum. :lol: Unlike the Vivaldi they'd be real issues.
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

JohnB wrote:At $3500 retail that's one heck of a first roaster! Congratulations!! I saw one recently in use in a local cafe. Its not all that small & will require a fairly elaborate vent system unless you only use it outside. It runs off either propane or natural gas.
Yeah, the size thing is pretty daunting. I've been measuring out the space and I found a pic of one on eBay with a corner of the Vivaldi in the photo. The roaster makes the Vivaldi look like a toy (see Vivaldi and Mazzer on right side of pic). I think the pic may be of the 1lb (smaller) model, too.

The hood is another 500 bucks or so, then the installation. The guy who shipped it to me doesn't even know if it is the natural gas or propane model. Propane would require keeping the tank outside. So then, should I put the roaster outside and build it a shelter? Many issues.

It's mighty fine looking, though.

Meanwhile, I could sell it, use the proceeds to pick up a Hottop and upgrade my grinder, too!

And no, Endo, I'm not getting GS3. Selling the roaster and the Vivaldi still wouldn't garner enough $$$$$$ for a GS3 and I love my Vivaldi just fine, thanks. Just got the longer steam arm for it and now only wish I could find those tall feet.
Attachments
sonoVivaldi.jpg
sonoVivaldi.jpg (21.11 KiB) Viewed 10184 times
oton

Post by oton »

Mizspresso wrote:
I've been measuring out the space and I found a pic of one on eBay with a corner of the Vivaldi in the photo.
What machine is that? Its does not look like a vivaldi. Metal sides? metal feets?
Mizspresso

Post by Mizspresso »

I know, it's a bit different. Size and general shape seem the same, though. Doesn't Ls Spaziale have a 2 group that is all metal?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

So have you got the "little darling" set up & roasting yet??

Return to “Coffee Grinders”