Can I go into a slump like a ball player with latte art?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
italyhound

Can I go into a slump like a ball player with latte art?

Post by italyhound »

It's quite odd. I was doing fine getting good microfoam for a while. In the beginning the latte art was great. I moved and then the kitchen went under reconstruction so I was without it for a few months. I did not love the results I was getting with the no burn arm before the machine was packed away and switched back to the smaller 4 hole burn me arm now.

for the life of me I cannot get good microfoam. I think I need to relearn - I am in a terrible slump!

Any basic re-pointers are welcome - I know its strange but I have clearly forgotten some basics here.

:oops:

Evan
zoey

Re: Can I go into a slump like a ball player with latte art?

Post by zoey »

I did not love the results I was getting with the no burn arm
You know, it might not be you. I'm having a devil of a time with the no-burn, longer arm. It just doesn't perform like the short burn arm. I've tried both the 2-hole and smaller 4-hole. The 2-hole makes huge bubbles, but turns the milk over faster. The 4-hole makes smaller bubbles, but doesn't turn the milk over as fast.

It's rather frustrating. I've been making drinks for over a week now and just can't seem to get on with the new arm.

I've got guests coming for Thanksgiving and I think I will be changing back to the OEM arm.
Niko

Post by Niko »

The S5 arm is really nice.
Long enough for the medium sized pitchers (to reach the bottom) and you can still use the smaller 4-hole tip without shenanigans ;-)
I have both of those arms (one on each machine) and I do prefer the S5 arm hands down. The No Burn Arm requires a different style that we're not all accustomed to, especially when you're used to a shorter one with a very different angle.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I have all the steam arm variants and the S5 arm is the only one I use!
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I don't do a lot of steaming but I've settled on the S5 with the 1.2mm nozzle. I'll have to practice a bit before the holiday company shows up demanding lattes.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sounds like you guys need to go back to the batting cages to get out of the slump :lol:
...I mean "steaming" cages. :lol:

Evan,
You'll get your game back. I was in the worse coffee slump about a year ago - it was so frustrating :twisted:

Sometimes I wish the Vivaldi had two steam arms :-P
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Niko - my long lost friend - you are right. There is no reason other than being out of shape that I get sea foam. I have pretty much settled on the old burn arm and .9mm tip and will keep trying til the magic happens again. I always steam small quantities in a small pitcher so it's going to be harder to get it back with this beast - but I will :twisted:

Evan
Niko

Post by Niko »

After you get your game back, please post some latte art pics in the pride section ;-)
infobhan

Post by infobhan »

One thing that's always worth trying is changing the milk. For some reason, I occasionally get a bad container of milk (tastes fine, but doesn't foam properly).

Resolves as soon as I get a new container.
Niko

Post by Niko »

You're damned right, Ishir!
I thought of this the other day and of course I only remembered after seeing your post :grin:
I also get a "bad" milk once in a while, i.e. not enough fat or too much fat and the microfoam is kind of like seafoam.
Blame it on the milk, Evan :thumbup:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

As someone noted in a thread earlier this year, cows diets change at different times of the year and can make the steaming characteristics of the milk change. I got into a sea foam situation early last summer and had to change suppliers for a couple of months.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Now I remember that too.
H-B also had a thread going on that subject.

...the cows were on some different type of feed? - or something like that. :scratch:
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Hey Niko

I am putting in a request for a video of you steaming some good microfoam. I think it would be a good thing for people to see it in action. :bounce:

Evan
Niko

Post by Niko »

:scratch: I'll see what I can do.
Time to unleash the tripod.
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Or a willing cohabitating biped?
Niko

Post by Niko »

:lol:
I live with 2 tripods and I can't find neither.
...so the "bipod" (wife) will have to do ;-)
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Slowly it seems to be coming back. I am starting to at least make thick shapes again.

What seems to be happening is that I am adjusting the time I spend at the top of the milk. It's true trial and error. At first I tested burying the wand from the get go - as some threads suggested that the machine is powerful enough to churn without a stretch stage. I have not found that the case. With no introduction of air, there is no art. On the other hand, it seems like a second too long on the surface and it is too thick for art.

Right now - and this is the path I will continue on - I am trying to habituate a correct timing before sinking the wand, In my particular case I think it is much harder. I only steam small quantities (maybe 4 oz) in a small pitcher which I know makes my life much harder since at that volume there is no room for error when trying to pout art.

Hey Niko - I keep checking for a video :bounce: There is a plethora of video and info on the the net but little specific talk about the V2 and no really instructive visual help. If I perfect it first I will make one but I doubt that will happen any time soon. :oops:

As an aside, I am having a devil of a time with the new black cat. Only after 3 weeks (!) does it appear to hit its sweet spot. I ordered CC Toscana to try. I am done with the BC for a while. Wonder if that matters with latte art. Seems like everything matters with latte art!

Evan
Niko

Post by Niko »

italyhound wrote:Hey Niko

I am putting in a request for a video of you steaming some good microfoam. I think it would be a good thing for people to see it in action. :bounce:

Evan
I posted a new video for you, Evan :grin:
It's actually a sequence showing the entire process of a Cappuccino with a pretty close shot showing the milk steaming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbhV2lIaRI
italyhound

Post by italyhound »

Niko

Thanks so much for the effort - it was very helpful. I appreciate you using the smaller pitcher.

I saw some interesting things and have follow up questions/observations that maybe you can comment on:

1. I typically steam and stop based on sound. When the pitch precipitously drops to a low roar I stop. It seems you stopped before that time (perhaps by heat sensation on your hand. Am I letting it go too long

2. You poured off the top - I have not done that before. Is that helpful somehow? I saw them do that at Intelligentsia but paid it no mind.

3. You take your time - is that West Coast shot pulling? Here in the east - its bam bam bam!

:)

Thanks again!!!

Evan
fiddlefly

Post by fiddlefly »

[quote="italyhound"]Niko

3. You take your time - is that West Coast shot pulling? Here in the east - its bam bam bam!

AhAhAhAhAh!!!!! lol :grin:

Return to “General Q&A”