Beautifying the S1

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
infobhan

Beautifying the S1

Post by infobhan »

As my current machine (a Reneka Techno) is on its last legs, I'm looking at various machines to take its place. I've been strongly considering the S1, which seems quite similar in many respects. The one thing I'm bothered by is the appearance, but it seems the real problem is the large S1 type. Many seem to have dealt with this by sticking a shot timer over the logo, but I'm wondering if there's any way to remove the writing (and the pattern around the steam knob). Has anyone tried using a solvent of some sort?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Beautifying the S1

Post by chas »

Try searching on "decal". You'll find discussions abut using hair dryers and/or WD-40 to remove decals. However, it wasn't clear to me if anyone has actually tried these methods on an S1.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Oh My!!!!! :shock: :shock:
I just saw that video linked from your signature panel and literally jumped out of my seat!

How long have you had the Techno?
The S1 would be a great choice since it's a dual boiler machine also.
infobhan

Post by infobhan »

It's an effective video, no? I got the Techno almost exactly 6 years ago. It's a great machine when it works, but it's had a lot of trouble over the years - some boiler leakage, lots of temp probe failures. The S1 seems to be the closest thing I can find, though the Alex Duetto also seems interesting to me as I will likely be moving in the next year and may have to deal with a temporary lack of plumbing, though I understand there are ways around this as well (using a large water tank, perhaps with a pump)?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Niko wrote:Oh My!!!!! :shock: :shock:
I just saw that video linked from your signature panel and literally jumped out of my seat!
I don't think I'd want to be touching the metal case if that melts down & completely shorts out!
zoey

Post by zoey »

I removed one of the small warning stickers on the front panel of my machine. I used Tri-Flow. Unfortunately, a bit of scrubbing with a cloth is still required, which left small scratches. Therefore, I decided to leave the S1 logo.
tritium

Post by tritium »

I put a magnet backed timer over the S1 as some have suggested. I don't mind the S1 so I decided not to keep it there all the time. When I removed it, I realized that the magnets had scratched the surface of the machine. :cry:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I use one that has rubber magnets and have not had that problem.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Niko

Post by Niko »

tritium wrote:....When I removed it, I realized that the magnets had scratched the surface of the machine. :cry:
You can always put another timer in front of the scratches :grin:
Niko

Post by Niko »

infobhan wrote:It's an effective video, no? I got the Techno almost exactly 6 years ago. It's a great machine when it works, but it's had a lot of trouble over the years - some boiler leakage, lots of temp probe failures. The S1 seems to be the closest thing I can find, though the Alex Duetto also seems interesting to me as I will likely be moving in the next year and may have to deal with a temporary lack of plumbing, though I understand there are ways around this as well (using a large water tank, perhaps with a pump)?
Oh, it's an effective video all right! I had nightmares last night :lol:
Thanks for posting the unrated version.

I would go for a plumb-in version even though the Mini is a fantastic machine, you're already used to no reservoir. I'd get a FloJet style system when you move and then plumb it in when you settle in.
infobhan

Post by infobhan »

Well does anyone at least know of a nice looking shot timer to place in front of the S1?
NewEnglandCliff

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

I don't understand the problem people are having with the S1 logo. Have you seen it in person? It's very well done. I think it looks great. The whole machine looks classic. I think those who haven't actually seen one would be impressed. The plastic is not cheap and doesn't make it look cheap at all. Quite a bit of design and engineering went into the production of those panels. You have to get black, though, IMO. Saw them all at Chriscoffee. The red and grey just didn't work for me.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I agree, that decal never bothered me but a lot of owners don't seem to care for it. At least we don't have a giant black bees nest stuck on the front of our machines like the Dalla Cortes. :shock:
Endo

Post by Endo »

Remove the "S1" logo? Get serious. :roll: :roll:

Return to “General Q&A”