How long did your original brew group gasket last?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
alsterling

How long did your original brew group gasket last?

Post by alsterling »

After nearly a year and a half out of the box, I finally replaced the brew group gasket on my S1. And I only did it because I noticed a very slight leak when I was back flushing recently. Of course, it was brittle, and didn't come out in one piece. I took the one replacement that came with the machine, and that was it. What have you found to be the typical life of the gasket? I should add that while I do keep the portafilter on the group, and the machine running 24/7, I "lightly" lock it back in place.

Was I lucky, or is 1 1/2 years with an average 5-8 "lock and loads" a day typical? (plus jiggle-cleaning, etc.)

Thanks, Al
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: How long did your original brew group gasket last?

Post by chas »

I'd say a year is more average. Some only make it 9 months. It doesn't seem logical but I think they lasted longer on the S1 that I left on 24x7 that they do on the V2 which is on 14 hours a day.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Mine is about 9 months or thereabouts. I have an S1.

It's on 14 or so hours Mon-Fri and continuously from Friday evening until Monday morning.

I have found no difference in gasket life if I leave the portafilter in or out while it's idle.
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

Well, I guess, so far, I may have gotten a couple extra months out of the gasket.

Behind the simple removal of the gasket is the issue of overall maintenance. While I thought there were literally "thousands" of S1's that had been distributed in the US when I bought mine, (I didn't know much about the machine market at that time), I believe the numbers I saw in print, from Chris, were more like 500 or so? Given that, has anyone posted a "maintenance history", collected from all the users on the forum? I'm thinking that if everyone posted or checked off whatever repair and/or replacement they've done, it would be an interesting reference.

The only other thing I've done to the machine, and it was an "elective surgery" about 6 months ago, was replace the steam boiler temp sensor..........believing it would improve my machine's steam recovery. When I called Chris' tech to ask a question about the temp sensor install, he said that it's a good way to take an "indirect look" at the condition of the boiler, by looking for the amount of mineral buildup on the sensor. Mine was nearly mineral free. (when I setup an image page I'll post a photo). BTW, having just gotten back onto this forum, is there an option for our administrator to "turn on" a direct jpg insert to the posts from our local drive? I saw a reference to that in FAQ's, but didn't know if it was something we had to ask for, or a universal switch for the entire forum?

Al
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Al:

Glad you mentioned this. It was a 3rd part add-on capability for the last forum but is integrated into the new one. I had never tried to see if it worked or if I even had it correctly enabled until you mentioned it.

So here is my test.
Just a test image to figure out how feature works in new forum....
Just a test image to figure out how feature works in new forum....
While you're editing a message: Directly under the Save Preview Submit buttons below the text entry box is a tab called Upload attachment. Once you enter the local file name to upload and click the Add the file button, a new window appears about it called Posted Attachments. Then you click the Place inline button to insert the image at the current cursor position in your message. The only new thing I see about the new forum's image capability is that you can enter a caption that is actually embedded with the photo.

BTW: For "Noobs" that wonder what the hell that photo is... The wrench and hex bolt on the left should be recognizable as the ones on the S1, V2, V2 mini that hold on the screens and dispersion disk. The wrench and bolt on the right along with the included specs are the ones I and a number of long time owners have replaced the originals with. The low profile bolt head prevents a big bolt head impression in the puck when trying to squeeze in that last gram or 2 or 3 of coffee!
Chas
Hottop P/B
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

Chas.....

I'm thinking I didn't scroll down far enough to see the attachment area. Anyway, here's the temp sensor. You can see the minimal white buildup. I emailed the photo to Chris' tech when asking about the install technique, and he told me I was in good shape. I use a tandem 10" in-line cartridge filter system; first is charcoal-sediment filter, followed by a resin softener cartridge. Maybe that's what's doing the trick, hopefully not over-softening and causing a leaching of the boiler. I think I need to do some water hardness testing again.

Thanks......Al
heat sensor_email size.jpg
heat sensor_email size.jpg (52.31 KiB) Viewed 25638 times
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I believe the number of V1 & V2 machines sold to date in the U.S. is closer to 2000. First time I've heard about the smaller bolt head mod but I might try it. I would miss that nice stock socket wrench though.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I think that Chris suggest, and most people have, their resin cartridge before the carbon one. In this way any fragments of resin beads that may escape from the softener are removed by the carbon cartridge. The way you describe things (carbon 1st followed by resin) you are running a risk of having bead pieces muck up your Vivaldi.
Take care,
Mark
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

John, I was thinking the very same thing! That "old bolt head" was a rather popular reference for filling the pf. Regarding sales of the Vivaldi, I'm guessing, from your figure, that the S2 has certainly overtaken the S1. Does that make mine more valuable as a "collectable?" :roll:
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

MDL wrote:I think that Chris suggest, and most people have, their resin cartridge before the carbon one. In this way any fragments of resin beads that may escape from the softener are removed by the carbon cartridge. The way you describe things (carbon 1st followed by resin) you are running a risk of having bead pieces muck up your Vivaldi.
Take care,Mark
You know Mark, I appreciate that. Seems I've heard that comment before, but I thought it was in reference to the smaller bead-resin cartridge that is sometimes supplied with other machines? I was under the impression, from my water-treatment vendor, that the beads in the 10" cartridge I use are encased such that they can't migrate.......but now you have me thinking, why not just reverse the order. Accidents happen regardless. As I tell the kids...that's why we call it an ACCIDENT! (that explanation-lecture works well with teenagers.) I'm actually ready to change out the filters now. I do it about every 4-5 months, regardless. I buy the filter elements through a wholesaler at about $10 each. At least I did last time...now you got me worrying about the new prices! :?

Al
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

MDL wrote:I think that Chris suggest, and most people have, their resin cartridge before the carbon one. In this way any fragments of resin beads that may escape from the softener are removed by the carbon cartridge. The way you describe things (carbon 1st followed by resin) you are running a risk of having bead pieces muck up your Vivaldi.
Take care,
Mark
I'd definitely agree with having the carbon filter last in line. The carbon filter can also add some beneficial minerals back that the softener removes. Also if you are on non chlorinated water it can catch some stuff that might be growing in that softener cartridge after a few months.
Niko

Post by Niko »

And the carbon filter definitely helps keep the bacteria buildup from the softener cartridge away. Ever see the nasty thingys that grow in the softener cart? - :pukeleft:

Back to the OP...my gaskets seem to last about 7 months :scratch:
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

Niko wrote:.........Ever see the nasty thingys that grow in the softener cart? - :pukeleft:.......
Sooooo.....I don't haveta' look just to pass my coffee machine tech certification, do I??!!! (eyes connected to a weak stomach with this really sensitive gag-reflex!!!) :puke:

Niko, nice to see you had time to stop by. I've been on and off the computer all day today, using this forum as my mental break from work. This is the "damnation" of having one's office at home. It's really nice, but I feel more like a real estate agent rather than what I am..............which right now feels like a member of the crew on "Lost in Space!" :alien:

You may have seen my warning that I'm on my way to the SAC area very soon? Lock your doors and windows!
Niko

Post by Niko »

I'm not finished moving yet so I'm still safe :lol:
I do have my cafe set up already, priorities you know :wink:
Weska

Post by Weska »

And again to the gasket longevity...

I seem to get varying results. As I recall my first gasket lasted a year or close to it. Subsequent ones have lasted around 6-8 months. Sometimes I tolerate a leak for a month or so before switching, so maybe those 8 month ones should be counted as nearer 6.

For some reason the first one, even though it was the longest-lived, came out whole and flexible. And I think I even put it in again with what had been the top surface that contacted the brew group down as the interface with the portafilter. But it didn't last long after that.

All my gaskets came from Chris. I might be getting less than average service because I have to buy many months ahead and store them at home to be sure I'll have one when I need it. I try always to have two spares on hand. (Better go count 'em! Now I'm making myself nervous.)

It may also be worth pointing out that one side of the gasket is chamfered on the outer edge for ease of insertion into the groove in the grouphead. I overlooked that once and had a hard time getting the new gasket to seat. Had to use the pf to drive it home, and a thin bead sheared off the edge when it finally went into place. Much easier with the chamfered edge up. Slips right in with only finger pressure.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo... :grin:
my gasket lasted one year and five months.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I changed my first one after 8 months but I could have milked it for a couple more. I just didn't want to be tightening the p/f any harder then usual to get rid of the small leak. My old one came off easily but it did take a few weeks before the new gasket stopped falling out every 3 or 4 shots.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Perhaps I'm lucky, use my machine less than others, or am gentle with it? Nevertheless, my original gasket is still in use at exactly 2 years and I don't have any leaks or have to jam the portafilter in really hard.
Mark
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

MDL wrote:Perhaps I'm lucky, use my machine less than others, or am gentle with it? Nevertheless, my original gasket is still in use at exactly 2 years and I don't have any leaks or have to jam the portafilter in really hard.
Mark
What kind of daily use does your machine see? Mine is on 12 hours a day/7 days a week.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

coming up on two years for me on the weekend machine; machine is on maybe 4 - 5 hours per day on weekends 8)
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

My machine is used every morning and perhaps 2 or 3 afternoons/week. Clearly not 24/7 use in any way.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Sounds like the 24/7 thing is drying them out quicker.

24/7 = 8 months

Intermittent (timer)= 2 years?

At this rate, after about 867 years, the timer will pay for itself! Whooo-hooo, purchase justified. :lol:
bugbus

Post by bugbus »

Just changed my gasket today. Long overdue.

My Spaz has been on for 15 mos straight and when I finally got around to changing the gasket, it was shooting steam and dripping water from the portafilter.

So I'd say 15 months is a upper limit.

:shock:
zoey

Post by zoey »

Mine is fine after a year and about 3 months. However, when not pulling a shot, I leave it loosely in place. I inspect it monthly when using Cafiza and it still looks good. No major groove and no drying.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Just replaced my second gasket yesterday after 1 year of daily use. This one lasted 4 months longer then the first before starting to leak.
Niko

Post by Niko »

I just changed my 4th gasket and it's been 365 days since my last gasket. :blackeye:

Funny thing about the gaskets is they tell me when it's time, they literally fall out when they're ready to go :lol:
Endo

Post by Endo »

Niko wrote:I just changed my 4th gasket and it's been 365 days since my last gasket. :blackeye:
I find some people keep the portafilter installed super tight (when warming). I install mine about as loose a possible (without falling out) and have yet to replace a gasket (I can't even see a groove). As I mentioned before, I expect keeping the machine on only when needed extends the life too.
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG (125.74 KiB) Viewed 24946 times
Niko

Post by Niko »

Looks like you're due for a backflushing!
...with Cafiza.

...and I mean the machine, not you :lol: :lol:
Endo

Post by Endo »

I noticed that too. I don't usually look so close at my diffuser disc sides :grin: .

I've noticed it before when changing the disc, but it's not nearly as bad as the flash and macro lens make it out to be (actually barely noticeable to the naked eye). Still, this area does seem to collect the most oils and fines. I suspect it's just a consequence of a slightly larger basket diameter. Backflushing will do nothing since the water is only forced back through screens (this is a dead area).

I can get rid of it with a Pallo brush but it's easier just to swap the diffuser disc and screens once a week.
Niko

Post by Niko »

That's nothing...my brass diffuser is much dirtier than that :lol:
I'm just giving you a hard time about it because you posted such a nice close up shot and I couldn't help myself.

The screens and diffuser get a Cafiza bath every week here and I have a spare set (including diffuser) so there's no down time in my cafe 8)
JmanEspresso

Post by JmanEspresso »

Ive been meaning to buy a second D-Block so that I can just switch them quickly. Ive got two screen sets, but only one D-Block. Id like a second D-block, so, as you said Niko, No down Time.

What am I looking at, cost wise, for a new D-Block? $40?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Not that much.
I think it was something like $20 USD but that was a long time ago.
David23

Post by David23 »

Just replaced my gasket after a year of 24/7 use. It was brittle and grooved when I removed it, and had been leaking intermittently for a couple months. I had kept the PF locked in place, but am now leaving it only partially locked to try and reduce the grooving.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Sounds to me like it probably needed replacement after about 9 months.
Chas
Hottop P/B
David23

Post by David23 »

9 month is probably accurate. I won't let it go that long again.

Return to “General Q&A”