Two questions

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
zoey

Two questions

Post by zoey »

1. When do you start timing your pulls? When you hit the button, when you start to see coffee at the bottom of the PF, or when the first drops hit the bottom of the cup?

What exactly comprises a "God Shot"?

Here's a video of the Mini spaz using my new Mazzer Mini. I know it's a relatively poor quality video but, could you critique this pull for me?

I'm using a decaf, home-roasted blend of Peruvian and Sumatra. The beans off-gassed for about 12 hours before grinding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J337yzne7rg
Last edited by zoey on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Here's the shot after I poured in into a cup (if it makes a difference).Image[/img]
Niko

Post by Niko »

Start timing as soon as you hit the button.
God Shots are indescribable, I almost didn't live to tell about the last one!
...it was that good :wink:
zoey

Post by zoey »

So, it's mostly in the taste rather than a combination of taste and appearance?
Weska

Post by Weska »

God shot has no standard definition. It is one of the more individual things in espresso, like what degree of roast you tend to like best.

That said, my own idea about most taste things including god shots is that, first, there should be nothing unpleasant, nothing you have to fight with yourself to overlook. After that, there should be complexity, a bunch of flavors evolving into each other over a considerable time during each sip. Finally, there should be balance so that this parade of flavors is not overwhelmed by just one of them, so that many of them get to come front stage.

All of that is rather general and could describe my favorite wines and beers, but espresso at the god shot level has one more desideratum: there should be a rich but not greasy mouth feel.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I start timing at the first appearance of coffee at the bottom of the p/f. You might want to consider picking up a copy of Scott Rao's new book.
http://www.professionalbaristashandbook.com/ Lots & lots of great how to info on Espresso.

An excerpt: http://www.home-barista.com/professiona ... dbook.html
zoey

Post by zoey »

Thanks! That was an interesting read. I'll have to get the book. Do you have it? If so, what do you think?

Anyone look at my video?
Niko

Post by Niko »

Of course I looked at your video! :thumbleft:
Nice work.
It certainly looked like a typical decaf shot, blonded quicker than a caffeinated version.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I think the Mazzer really made a difference. The La Pavoni grinder produced blonding much faster, never really developed much of a cone or tiger striping, and the espresso was always pretty weak (unless I greatly shortened the pull time).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I would have cut the pour at least 7 seconds sooner at the latest. I don't let them go past the point where the cone "breaks" or does its little sideways tweak. I prefer thick, gloppy pours but I doubt you can get that with decaf.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

zoey wrote:Thanks! That was an interesting read. I'll have to get the book. Do you have it? If so, what do you think?
I just got it in yesterday & was out most of today so I've only looked at it briefly. There is a wealth of how-to/tech info & some good pics that will be of use to anyone trying to perfect their Espresso techniques.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

It should be cut at 24''. Looked nice! 8)
zoey

Post by zoey »

coffeeowl: 24 sec from when? when you first hit the switch, see the coffee at the bottom of the PF, or when the coffee first hits the bottom of the cup.

I'm not getting a consensus on this topic :wink:
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

The 24 seconds is only in reference to your video timing. The point is to cut the shot when the cone breaks or before depending on when it goes blond no matter what the timer tells you. Since most of your decaf pour may be blond you pretty much have to go by the cone breaking down.
Niko

Post by Niko »

More importantly...
how'd it taste? :P
zoey

Post by zoey »

I can definitely see when the cone breaks but, as stated, it blonds quickly.

I'm still sorting out the new iRoast so I'm not overly happy with the roasts thus far. I think that my ramp up temperature is too hot too fast. It's going to take me a while to figure it out.

I'm also working with some new beans (water processed). I'm finding that the water processed beans are tricky to roast (decaf doesn't make it any easier).
Niko

Post by Niko »

So you have an iRoar, huh?
What is the profile you use and what beans are you roasting besides the decaf?

...we might be meeting in the Beans section of the forum soon :wink:
zoey

Post by zoey »

Well, I'm currently roasting Columbian, Peruvian, and Sumatra (all decaf and water processed). Like an idiot, I forgot to ask the plantation info/grade and whatnot.

I have a "corporate account" with one of the local roasters so I get my beans at wholesale.

roast temps/times are as follows but, I end up shutting down early.
350F for 3 minutes
460F for 3 minutes
470F for 6 minutes (usually cut off at about 2 minutes or less).
Niko

Post by Niko »

Those last two stages is what maybe causes your early shutdowns.
It seems that no 2 iRoasts are alike but here goes...
try 415F for 3 minutes and 450F for the last 6.
This isn't a fix but it'll give you a better idea of how to move your roast.
On my iRoar, I had a decent profile going for most beans:
350/2:00
375/2:00
405/3:00
430/2:00
450/4:00
I'm going by memory so don't hold me to this one, I can check my logs if you're interested.

I like the iRoast2, aside from the horrific noise it's still a great little roaster that can give you hundreds and hundreds of roasts if it's well cared for, mine still works great after 400+ roasts.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Niko wrote: It seems that no 2 iRoasts are alike but here goes...
That is an understatement. I have owned a few, and had to send back at least 2 for very flaky performance. So if under warranty, you might pursue that. I also wrote a little article that has some profiles to try:

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/07/iroast2-guide/
zoey

Post by zoey »

Thanks Niko

Nice little site you've got there bbqnut! I'll have to play around.

It's been harder to roast with the temp changes and high humidity in the garage. 47F and 70% humidity make it difficult at best.
Niko

Post by Niko »

zoey wrote:47F and 70% humidity make it difficult at best.
:shock: :shock: That's a definite challange!

You need to get a VARIAC, Chris (bbqnut) can attest to that!
The VARIAC will change the game tremendously in your favor.
zoey

Post by zoey »

I would also need to be gainfully employed to be able to pay for everything I "need". :roll:
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

JohnB wrote:
zoey wrote:coffeeowl: 24 sec from when?
The 24 seconds is only in reference to your video timing. The point is to cut the shot when the cone breaks or before depending on when it goes blond no matter what the timer tells you. Since most of your decaf pour may be blond you pretty much have to go by the cone breaking down.
Right.
Normally, you count shot time from the moment you press the button, but I also heard that if a machine has preinfusion, it gets different.

EDIT: aha, you certainly want to take part in the poll... 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

I remember that one!
Forgot which segment I voted for :oops:
zoey

Post by zoey »

I voted "E"~ or at least I did in my head.

I found this statement to be rather compelling:
I voted "F" because of the reduced striping, onset of stream twisting, signs of blonding, and increased translucence of the flow. As a rule of thumb, these signs follow about 5 seconds after the cone collapse. If the same extraction was through a spouted portafilter, the primary signs would be the loss of striping and the onset of translucence prior to the "marking" of the espresso by a lighter dot.

Return to “General Q&A”