She made me take her clothes off!

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
zoey

She made me take her clothes off!

Post by zoey »

Well, I fired up my Italian mistress today for a lovely double shot of morning sunshine. 8)

I went about my business to let her warm up (foreplay as it might be considered :wink: ). When I returned, I noticed a huge puddle of water under her posterior. :dontknow:

NOT GOOD!

So I started the process of undressing her. About 30 minutes later I finally had all of the casing parts off. Now that I've done it, it should be easier the next time (God forbid).

There is a pressure release valve (forgive my ignorance if this is not what it is), which sits in a little copper cup, atop the boiler. As she warmed up, water was coming out of this valve into the cup. Then the cup would overflow.

I figured that the 19mm bolt in the center of the cup was in need of tightening. In order to get to that bolt I had to partially remove the boiler. (There is a cross member bar that prevents easy access).

I tightened down the bolt, dried out the water, and fired her up again. NO LUCK! Still overflowing.

I called Chris.

The tech was gone for the day but a very knowledgeable guy was available to rescue me.

After several diagnostic checks we ended up removing the automatic boiler fill device. Low and behold, when I took it apart, a tiny little shard of brass fell out of it. Viola! I found the culprit!

All in all, I spent 3.5 hours getting her back to tip-top shape. I took some photos of the process for you guys.

BTW~ I haven't seen the back of the machine since I bought it (up against the wall). What a shame! The back is so pretty!Image
Weska

Post by Weska »

Nice documentation with photos, zoey. It will be a valuable reference for those in trouble similar to yours (or even in other ways).
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Looks like they had a few shards left over after making Bbqnut's machine. :)
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

JohnB wrote:Looks like they had a few shards left over after making Bbqnut's machine. :)
@#!@#! BRASS SHAVINGS!!!

I am going to start a new business. I will take your new machine, take it all apart, flush it out and remove all brass shavings. That would save a lot of headaches...
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

Given how responsive Chris and his folks are and that your machine is new why would you think that you should cowboy into it instead of calling and having them help you out? Your machine has a warranty that you are potentially going to devalue. Just making arbitrary adjustments can potentially get you into trouble.
Good luck
Niko

Post by Niko »

bbqnut wrote: I am going to start a new business. I will take your new machine, take it all apart, flush it out and remove all brass shavings. That would save a lot of headaches...
And I'll be the helper-monkey....you can call me the brass monkey :lol: that funky monkey :roll:

Anyways, I'm not a bit surprised about this. Glad to read that the problem was solved so quickly and NICE pics, BTW.
zoey

Post by zoey »

Given how responsive Chris and his folks are and that your machine is new why would you think that you should cowboy into it instead of calling and having them help you out?
Well, where to begin??

1. I'm a guy.
2. I have a garage full of tools.

No, seriously, I sort of have a knack for tearing into things and figuring them out. I figured that there would be no harm, no foul taking a look under the hood. I wasn't making any adjustments. Simply looking for a problem. Like lifting the hood of your car.

When it was apparent that I wasn't going to figure it out on my own, I made the call.

From what I've read on this site, and others, it appears that at some point you will end up tearing into the machine with Chris' help.

There were several good things that came from digging into the machine! I found the 15A to 20A switch. Now I just need to get a 20A outlet for the kitchen.

The guy at Chris' taught me a few things about the machine. I see that it's got some quality parts in it.
Niko

Post by Niko »

zoey wrote: There were several good things that came from digging into the machine! I found the 15A to 20A switch. Now I just need to get a 20A outlet for the kitchen.
If you don't have the timer yet, that ON/OFF switch is for that if you ever decide to add it later :wink:
zoey

Post by zoey »

Yes, thanks! That's what the gentleman from Chris' told me. I doubt that I will ever get a timer. Too many other things I would like to get first. :wink:

Return to “General Q&A”