RO Pressure/Volume question

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
bbqnut

RO Pressure/Volume question

Post by bbqnut »

I have a pretty standard Watts RO system with an 11 gallon tank. The tank has the required 7 PSI set for the bladder. Directly out of the RO output, it is very strong, but after traveling and splitting under the house, all the outlets seem a little weak. Everything is 1/4", including the output from the RO system. Also, the whole RO system is maybe 2-3 feet lower than all the outlets (Sink water faucet, Newco coffeemaker, Espresso machine). They are all within a few feet of each other, and RO system is about 30 feet away.

Here is my real question. Will I gain anything by converting the 1/4" output of the RO system to 3/8" for the long run to the outlets, and then convert back to 1/4"? Or is that not really going to do anything?
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

Yes, every foot you run a pressurized system you lose some amount of pressure. If you want to really get into it, check into proper pressures for beertaps. Gets complex real quick :D Basically the larger the pipe, the lower the friction and the higher the pressure.

I would use 3/8" on any run over just a few feet. Multiple taps and long runs I would even consider larger pipes.
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

I guess since the output from the RO is 1/4", and the inputs to my devices is 1/4", I just wondered if adapting to 3/8" for the run in between would gain me something. I guess it will. I already ordered the 3/8" stuff.

Thanks

Return to “General Q&A”