One Year Down the Road

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

One Year Down the Road

Post by chas »

The S1 arrived on my doorstep one year ago today. It's been an interesting ride and one that has been very enjoyable. Had this unit been purchased from anyone other than Chris Nachtrieb, however, I may not feel that way.

In the past year I have:
  • - Replaced the circuit board because of a design flaw
    - Replaced 4 hole steam tip with more controllable 3 hole tip
    - Replaced the steam arm with a new one that swivels
    - Replaced the motor mounts with redesigned ones that make the S1 dead quiet
Chris proactively worked with LaSpaziale to get all the above issues corrected and provided parts and installation assistance to all current S1 owners. Everyone purchasing the S1 now gets the benefit of all that effort.

My documentation of the original circuit board design flaw plus the discovery and correction of a few additional documentation errors let to me posting them on my coffee site which grew into a dedicated S1 site to which I eventually added this forum. The rest is history.

I hope you all still enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Last edited by chas on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

I feel a part of a select group - S1 owners. I have enjoyed your site and learned much while visiting. Now for year two. :)

Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Year 2 portends to be the really interesting one. No more warranty - flying without a net!
Chas
Hottop P/B
mkc
Latte

Post by mkc »

Chas,

Well I am forever grateful that you took that step and got the S1. Between this site, Bob's posts here and on CoffeeGeek, and Dan Kehn's review and Buyer's Guide article, I knew the S1 was the right machine for us and the only place to consider purchasing it was Chris' Coffee.

As the newbie, I look forward to knowing I have such experienced mentors to answer my questions. There will be many! Heck, I have never tamped or backflushed in my life! (But I do have an awesome Macap grinder - I made sure of that first - and some freshly roasted Code Brown)

I only wish I lcould lift my cup and join in the celebration today. Alas, my S1 sits in its box in the foyer. Too heavy for me to lift out of the packing material. If only my husband knew how valuable he (and his plumbing abilities) are going to be this weekend!

Michelle
sjseattle

Post by sjseattle »

Chas,

I would like to second Michelle's comments in thanks to you and everyone else who "pioneered" the S1 for the rest of us. I've had mine just under 2 months and it reflects the result of all the upgrades you mentioned. My only problem is that I'm going through 3 times as much coffee as before when I was using a Pasquini Livietta!

Steve
bobroseman

Post by bobroseman »

sjseattle wrote:Chas,

I would like to second Michelle's comments in thanks to you and everyone else who "pioneered" the S1 for the rest of us. I've had mine just under 2 months and it reflects the result of all the upgrades you mentioned. My only problem is that I'm going through 3 times as much coffee as before when I was using a Pasquini Livietta!

Steve
Yes, I noticed this too. My coffee usage has driven me to roasting. As a roaster, alas, I have a long way to go. I am glad that I have my S1 along for the journey. It removes one set of variables from my results. :)

Bob
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

My usage is up, too. When I moved here 7 years ago and went house hunting, one of my must-haves was a hot tub. I actually found a house with an indoor hot tub room.

As I discovered when living previously in Phoenix for many years in a house with a pool, usage dwindles over time. After not using the hot tub for several years I have now drained it. I have my Hottop set up on a small table next to the hot tub and the spa cover now has about 50lbs of coffee, digital scales, measuring scoops and such spread out across it! :roll:

The consistency of the S1 really helps with the roasting as you can feel fairly confident that, with most of the other variables removed, the differences you taste really are due to the coffee type and your roasting prowess.

My wife has never liked coffee and I now have her up to about 4 lattes a week. Of course that's also with the addition of Monin sugar-free syrup so one might argue whether she's really drinking coffee :wink: Maybe the training wheels will come off some day!

When I make a latte I also get the satisfaction that it cost $0.30 rather than $3.00+ . 1/10 the price of *$ and 10x better. You can't beat the economics of that. I really will break even....some day....really!
Chas
Hottop P/B
barjohn

Post by barjohn »

I too have enjoyed your site and help. I have had my machine now for about 8 months and I don't regret buying it one bit. It has been excellent and produces consistently good espresso. It has gotten better as I have learned and gotten better at preparation. I make two every morning, one for my wife in a to-go-cup and one for me to enjoy before work. We sometimes have a cup in the evening. Good machine, solid and very stable. I am looking forward to the plumbable drip tray next!
dsherman

Post by dsherman »

I echo everyone's adulation for Chas in setting up this website, Ken's review of the S1, all the CG threads, Bob's input and Chris at Chris' Coffee.

I've been enjoying my S1 since 12/16/04. Only good things to report. Thanks to the early adopters and their input w/ Chris to implement all the great changes.

Like John, I'm waiting anxiously for the drip-tray drain adapter.

- Derek
toby

Much thanks are due indeed

Post by toby »

I feel I should echo the above thanks as well. Buying a $$ espresso machine is no easy choice. I chose the S1 becuase of the great service that Chris Coffee has and the fact that the S1 has its own forum. I have not regretted it one bit. I don't chime in much here, but find this forum to be the best place to find answers.

Thanks to all and especially to Chas for setting the forum up.
Toby

Return to “General Q&A”