Portafilter Handle Thread Size?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
michael

handles

Post by michael »

i got my handles from les at thor tampers

i got three handles and matching wood tampers which are fantastic; he has a number of exotic woods and you can pick what you want

you should check out his website
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

After waiting two months for one from Espresso Parts and then finding that they left LaSpaz off the list of the ones it doesn't fit, I broke down and contacted Les at Thor Tampers. It will probably be a few weeks before I get it but the cost is actually going to be less than at EP.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Niko

Post by Niko »

Les ROCKS.
Just got this a couple of weeks ago...
Weska

Post by Weska »

That is a remarkably nice one, Niko. (In fact, I am remarking on it.) Burlwood?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you look at the two Thor PF handles above in my Admin avatar, I am replacing the darker handle due to cracking where the PF handle attaches.

I mentioned this to Les. Apparently, this was a common problem he was having. However, he says he figured out why and has corrected his processes to prevent it from happening.
S1 Cafe Admin
Niko

Post by Niko »

Weska wrote:That is a remarkably nice one, Niko. (In fact, I am remarking on it.) Burlwood?
Yeah, it's the beautiful Amboynia Burl.
admin wrote:Apparently, this was a common problem he was having. However, he says he figured out why and has corrected his processes to prevent it from happening.
Did he mention what caused this? I'm wondering if it was the adhesive to install the bolt onto the handles...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I think it was related to the adhesive. BTW: I noticed that the ones that EP sells just have the bolt threaded into the handle, not glued. I guess I'll find out if this is also Les' solution.
S1 Cafe Admin
Niko

Post by Niko »

The one I just got recently had the bolt glued in it. Looks like it's both threaded and glued just incase people use thread lock on the PF.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Niko wrote:Les ROCKS.
Just got this a couple of weeks ago...
Looks great.

That's pretty much the same one I bought from him about a year ago.

Also bought a nice matching tamper from him, wonderful to look at, but for some reason (probably because I used to it) I like my Xpressivo Presso Barista tamper better.

He also made me a simple PF holder (wooden block with grove for handle).

If I'd have a GS3 (which I don't think I'd buy for the new price) first thing I'd send all the plastic parts to Les, and have them reproduced with some burl wood. :)

Wolfgang
4vDesmo

Post by 4vDesmo »

Niko, I'll give you $5 for that nice new handle. And another $5 if you'll mount it on my PF!
:wink:
Niko

Post by Niko »

Sounds like a great deal!

...for you. :lol:

Return to “General Q&A”