Old brass diffuser disk

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
wgaggl

Old brass diffuser disk

Post by wgaggl »

Hi All,
I'm experimenting with the diffuser disk assembly and would like to know if anyone of you guys that has both old (pre Feb. 04) and new brass diffuser disk would be willing to sell me the old one (most people seem to use the new one anyways), the one that's 2mm thicker with the star-shaped hole pattern!

Wolfgang
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

If you don't get any takers you can always buy the S1 pod adapter kit from Chris:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/parts/s1podkit

This kit appears to include the old diffuser disk.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

I think this disk is different (in shape on the lower side).
Chris also said he doesn't have one of the old disks anymore.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Finally I got one from Chris, and immediately started experimenting. If you have a coffee that compresses a lot while tamping, and therefore get soggy coffee pucks (too much space between coffee and shower screen with proper dosing), the old disk worked well for me after replacing the bulky center screw by a flat one, that doesn't leave an imprint in the coffee puck (before pulling the shot) and ruining my careful tamping. I managed to get low to no channeling (had to go back to my flat tamper though, and be very careful to get an even tamp), and dry coffee pucks after extraction. However, there's one thing both my wife and I immediately realized: The coffee didn't taste as rich and fullbodied with that old disk, I guess, it really needs more room to expand. So I went back to the new, thinner disk, back to soggy coffee pucks with that particular coffee, but this time with more appreciation for the result: soggy pucks seem to be a low price to pay if the coffee tastes great!
NewEnglandCliff

New Screw?

Post by NewEnglandCliff »

Where did you get the thinner screw? Do you have any extras?

Thanks,

NEC
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Originally I was looking for some already existing screw like that but couldn't find any.
So I went to an ACE hardware store and showed them my screw, said I wanted something like that for a flat screwdriver and that doesn't rust (brass or stainless steel). Then I filed it down (works easiest with brass screws) until it was flat with the diffuser screen.
It definitely helped to improve the water flow in the area where the screw is, on the downside it's a hassle to get out the assembly during operation when it's hot, fumbling around with a screwdriver (I have one with a short handle).
So on your question, NEC, I guess it's a DIY job...

Wolfgang
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I also heard from one of the original S1 purchasers that hasn't posted here in many moons, that he just ground down the bolt head on the stock part until it was about half the thickness. He was very pleased with the result.
Chas
Hottop P/B
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

Yes, I played with the thought, but couldn't find the courage to do that to the original part :oops:
NewEnglandCliff

wgaggl wrote:Originally I was looking for some already existing screw like that but couldn't find any.
So I went to an ACE hardware store and showed them my screw, said I wanted something like that for a flat screwdriver and that doesn't rust (brass or stainless steel). Then I filed it down (works easiest with brass screws) until it was flat with the diffuser screen.
It definitely helped to improve the water flow in the area where the screw is, on the downside it's a hassle to get out the assembly during operation when it's hot, fumbling around with a screwdriver (I have one with a short handle).
So on your question, NEC, I guess it's a DIY job...

Wolfgang
I went over to my local hardware store to see what they had today, and found a pretty good replacement. It's a stainless button head socket cap screw, part number 72057, from Midwest Fastener Corporation. The size is 10-32x3/4". It's maybe a millimeter shorter than the stock screw, which is 2cm long, but you still have plenty of thread. They're driven by a 1/8" allen wrench which is very easy to use under the group. The profile is much lower. It barely extends below the recessed area of the screen. You could probably grind it down a little more, but it's great just the way it is. It has a gently rounded head that tapers right down to the screen so it may prevent channeling in that area.

Here's a couple photos. It uses a 1/8" allen wrench.

ImageImage
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

The bolt that holds the screens and diffuser to the grouphead is metric, with a size of 5mm x .8 and is 20mm long. The 10x32 is a US standard size and is a slightly different thread pitch. The 10/32 will fit, but I would worry about damaging the threads in the grouphead. I found the bolt at boltdepot.com - funny paying $7 shipping for a $2 purchase, but I was glad they took the small order:)

Product #6635
Metric socket products, Metric socket button head, Stainless A-2 ( 18 - 8 ), 5mm x .8, 20mm
Quantity: 10
Price: $0.25
Subtotal: $2.50

Summary

Subtotal: $2.50
Tax: $0.00
S & H: $7.46
Total: $9.96

They should showup in a few days, will post results...
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Do you know what size allen wrench these take? I have dozens of normal ones, my luck these need metric allen wrenchs.
Chas
Hottop P/B
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

I am guessing 4, or 5mm. They shipped today, so I will know soon. They have the same button top that Cliff describes and should be at least 1mm shorter.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Mine arrived today. They work great. It's nice to see a completely flat puck surface rather than one with a large hex bolt indentation on top.
Chas
Hottop P/B
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

padillatim wrote:I am guessing 4, or 5mm. They shipped today, so I will know soon. They have the same button top that Cliff describes and should be at least 1mm shorter.
Turns out they require a 3mm hex wrench.
Chas
Hottop P/B
NewEnglandCliff

Padillatim, care to sell a couple?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I know New England is a relatively large area and assuming "New England Cliff" means you live in New England you may be within driving distance if that means Boston area.

The Bolt Depot is at:
286 Bridge St.
North Weymouth, MA 02191

In addition, there was the earlier post made several weeks back from the first person that purchased one of these type bolts that gave the internet address of the supplier. I went to that supplier's website and was able to get a list of area hardware stores that carried their line. In my case, the closest is 50-60 miles away. So given the value of my time and the cost of gas, $6.91 shipping from the Bolt Depot didn't sound too bad. I found a few other items like stainless steel washers and such so that I didn't actually pay $7.00 for one bolt!
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's a photo of the stock S1 shower screen bolt and wrench on the left. On the right is the replacement from BoltDepot.com and 3mm Hex Wrench from Sears. 8)

S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
NewEnglandCliff

All right, thank you.
wgaggl

Post by wgaggl »

How high is the head of this screw? Is it substantially lower profile than the original bolt?
W.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The tip of the round screw is 3mm tall. The top of the original flat head bolt is 3.8mm.

The biggest difference is that at the height where the grounds would leave a complete indentation of the entire head of the original bolt, the new bolt will either leave no impression or else just a small round dimple.
Chas
Hottop P/B
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

I'd give you a couple, but the cost of shipping... Probably better just to order some up. Assuming that New England Cliff lives in New England (I am in California), BoltDepot is in Maryland. This also explains why Chas got his last week and I am still waiting on UPS...
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

padillatim wrote:I'd give you a couple, but the cost of shipping... Probably better just to order some up. Assuming that New England Cliff lives in New England (I am in California), BoltDepot is in Maryland. This also explains why Chas got his last week and I am still waiting on UPS...
Actually that would be Massachusetts about 25 miles SE of Boston.
Chas
Hottop P/B
padillatim

Post by padillatim »

Got my bolts last night. I filed down the top of one, leaving enough room for the hex key to get a good grip (this is why I ordered 10, I almost dropped it down the sink twice just cleaning it). This leaves the top of the bolt just below the screen. Made three shots this morning and the new bolt left a small impression, only after the puck had expanded from the extraction (sweet).

Maybe I was just on this morning, but the three shots were very good. The pucks came out more solid than usual and the tops were more solid as well.

Highly reccomended...

Return to “General Q&A”