Softener/filtration

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Consty

Softener/filtration

Post by Consty »

Hi guys,

Anybody outside the USA (=far away from ChrisCoffee) found a decent solution for softening and filtration of tap water? I'm from the Netherlands and have difficulty finding a setup like the one many of the US users have, a relatively cheap combo like the one Chris sells. I'm running into all kinds of very expensive and sometimes in my view inferior ways of softening (Brita, Bravilor, Everpure..)

I installed everything and am running without any filtration now, immmpatient :roll: , can't do that for long..
Buying from ChrisCoffee IS an option, a expensive one though (tax, postage)

Any comments?
coffeeowl

Re: Softener/filtration

Post by coffeeowl »

Consty wrote: (...)running without any filtration now(...)
I'd suggest you just don't do that. Get yourself the simplest water filtration like the ones you can find in superstores (like Castorama or Leroi Merlin or Practicer or whatever you have nearby) before you make up your mind on something else. Without any filtration you run the risk of damaging your machine with the dirts that can be found in the tap water.

I am using a RO7 and I'm very happy: drinking water is excellent, I have water for home appliances (like a humiditor, steam cuisine, iron, washing fruits&vegetables etc.) and the coffee is excellent too.
Vivaldi is connected to the drinking water (mineralised and far-infraredded).
Weska

Post by Weska »

Consty, keep looking. Here in Moscow I have a choice among filtration cartridges in the Slimline 10 size that fit easily under a sink. I bought everything here, and the potential sources are Russian, Polish and American (Pentek brand).

If I can get them here--and it's no strain--you should be able to find something of the kind in the Netherlands. Courage!
Consty

Post by Consty »

Thanks for the reactions!

It's funny because its really hard to find here in Holland, surely not in the superstores, maybe it's because the waterquality is very good straight out the tap...
Weska

Post by Weska »

If that's the case, Consty, then test your water (and keep testing over a couple of seasonal changes). You can find test kits in aquarium stores. If the hardness is suitably low (I forget the supposed ideal level just now.), then maybe you don't need the softener. A filter might not be a bad idea in any case.
LaSpazialista

Post by LaSpazialista »

Costy, call Ben from koffiecentrale in Venlo (077 3200774). He sells a Everpure Waterfilter QC7 for VII. It's a water, softener and demineralizing filter in one, designs for hotwater machines like steamers and warmers.
It costs about 110 euro.
bluesman13

Re: Softener/filtration

Post by bluesman13 »

coffeeowl wrote:
Consty wrote: (...)running without any filtration now(...)
I'd suggest you just don't do that.
I've always thought that as far as the Spaz is concerned that softened water was enough to protect the machine. No?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

You need to both

1. soften hard water (reduce the mineral content) to reduce scaling of the boilers (and improve taste of your coffee)

and

2. have a filter to remove any solids and particulate material that could damage/interfere with the operation of your pump and valves in the machine.

This is why the systems routinely have multiple cartridges or a combined unit.

I find it hard to believe that someone local doesn't sell cartridges and filter holders at a more reasonable price, but here I am in California...

Take care,
Mark
Consty

Post by Consty »

Weska wrote:Consty, keep looking. Here in Moscow I have a choice among filtration cartridges in the Slimline 10 size that fit easily under a sink. I bought everything here, and the potential sources are Russian, Polish and American (Pentek brand).

If I can get them here--and it's no strain--you should be able to find something of the kind in the Netherlands. Courage!
Weska, do you have other brands or names, I looked everywhere and can find ZIP here in Holland, thanx
zoey

Post by zoey »

So, with the mini you would suggest getting an under counter demineralizer?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

If your water is hard you need to soften it for any machine that you care about. Putting in an under counter softener gives you the potential to have a tap for softened water to drink or cook with in addition to your mini.

I have posted the details for very inexpensive components for a softener system on this board previously.

Mark
Weska

Post by Weska »

Consty, here's a link to a place in the US that will ship internationally:
http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/housings-slimline.asp

That may raise the price to uncomfortable levels. (I can't tell because you have to get a shipping quote on the international orders.) It could be better than letting questionable water into your machine, however.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I don't know if they ship internationally, but I have used the following:

http://www.wateranywhere.com/

I just did a google search for places that had these materials and found one close to me in Souther CA. You might do the same and see if you can find something closer to you?

Mark
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Just a question, are Reverse Osmosis systems available in Holland?

Some don't like them (for various reasons), but I do, and RO systems here in the US are pretty cheap. Just another possibility.
Consty

Post by Consty »

I found RO systems in Holland yes, it's fairly expensive though. And from what I read about it it wouldn't be my first choice...
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Consty wrote:I found RO systems in Holland yes, it's fairly expensive though. And from what I read about it it wouldn't be my first choice...
I surely hope you don't mean the "Insanely Long Water FAQ..."

Sorry, I don't believe in it.
Consty

Post by Consty »

amongst others, yes :D

You've got good experiences with it?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Consty wrote:amongst others, yes :D

You've got good experiences with it?
Absolutely. Both as drinking water and for espresso, drip, etc.

I think people hear things and then spread FUD without having firsthand knowledge or experience.

I have heard that RO tastes flat, it is too acidic, etc., etc.

IMO, it is clean, delicious, and perhaps even sweet. And of course the very, very low hardness of about 1.5 means it is not hard on the insides of your equipment.

Return to “General Q&A”