Temp offset setting....

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
krus

Temp offset setting....

Post by krus »

My offset is showing a 3C change from the boiler to the group water temp. I was just wondering if this is a fairly common setting. Seems as though my shots may be a bit cooler than what is indicated on the led display. I don't have a fluke, so I'm going strickly by taste, but 93 and 94 both have been tasting a tad sour to me. Might also be due to my water being a few degrees colder due to the colder weather. Thanks.

Kurt
Niko

Post by Niko »

It's fairly common, not all machines are exactly alike. Yours was set with a Scace Device at Chris' (if you got it from Chris).
I wouldn't worry about it, your taste buds don't lie either but to me it sounds like you need more flushes between shots.
I have a Scace and only when the machine is fully warmed up with a very HOT portafilter (about 25 minutes minimum) will you hit those programmed temps. Several flushes later and those temps should be right on the nose.

And yes, the colder weather approaching has a little do with it also.
I did some tests several months ago, which reminds me it is time again for the Scace to come out and play, the VII was showing significantly cooler (by several degrees F) shots than my older S1 when drawing the first blanks out of the machine. Once those warmups were complete, the VII was hitting all the temps right on the nose and the machine kept its neurotic temp sensor going and blinking very often. The older machine held its own quite well with an impressive set of numbers.

I don't start using either machine until they've been on for at least an hour, other people on other forums say it's overkill but I respectfully DISAGREE. The machine should be hot and it isn't there until the cups on top of the warmer can send you to the Emergency Room when you grab one :D
Niko

Post by Niko »

You just gave me an idea for the next video series.
"How many shots does it take for a Vivaldi to warm up?"
Sounds like we're waiting for the punch line to a joke but it's good question, last time I remember it being 3 shots but we shall see...

It's like Dirty Harry, "Did he fire 6 shots or only 5...funny I've forgotten myself with all this excitement..."
Well do you feel lucky, punk? Do ya'?
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

Not too put too fine a point on it, but the S1 generally does require warm up shots, where as most E61s require cool down shots. So the ritual is similar (though something different is happening inside).

In any case, it is funny that very few machines can just give you the correct temperature out of the gate.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

I remember watching a movie when I was a kid. The kid in the movie had a father who decided to take a nap. He asked the kid for not being too laud.
So the kid was silent.
Yet the clock kept ticking.
The kid, out of his full-opened-heart did a search for a towel to silence the ticking of the clock, in order to the clock not disturbing his father's sleep. ;-)
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone... :?
My point was that we could wrap the portafilter and group head in a towel while the machine is sitting idle... :)
Niko

Post by Niko »

You didn't offend anyone, Pawel :)
I understood your point right away, some people use insulation material on the boilers to help keep the heat down in their kitchens. This also helps the machine to cycle less frequently, it also saves cabinetry from heat damage as well.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

I thought it's not good to insulate the boilers... if it's good for the machinesame as for energy savings then I'll do it.
My machine comes tomorrow... :)
coffeeowl

Temp finetune setting on Vivaldi II

Post by coffeeowl »

In the Original Vivaldi manual there is a section on temperature finetuning.
Yet I found out that the same procedure on Vivaldi II also opens temp finetuning. :shock:
Question is what are we finetuning here as the temp settings are already 1C increments?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The basic idea of the temperature offset on the VII as Chris described it to me before the VII came out sounded excellent. The actual implementation from LaSpaziale is not that great. The original intent was to allow the user to measure the temperature of the water at a given temperature setting. If the actual water temperature is different than what the display showed, the user could to change the water temperature in 1C increments until the actual water temperature was in exact agreement to the set temperature.

If LaSpaziale had allowed us to set the temp plus or minus 4C in 1C increments that would have been perfect. However, you can only set the offset temp between 0 and -8C in -1C increments.

So if you set your temp to 94C but measure 95C you set the offset temp to -1C and you are golden. However, if you set your temp to 95C but measure 94C and your offset is already set to 0C, you are out-of-luck.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Thanks Chas.

Where is the source of all this informations? :offtheair:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Chas
Hottop P/B
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

8) thanks
I wonder how's my machine set, since Chris is overseas.
Good night for now cyt :wave: :ky: :sleepy5: :angel13: :sleepy2: :sunny: :angel7:
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

yes, I guess I was quite sleeeeeeeeeeeeeepy once I wrote my previous post... Obviously, I checked how my machine is set just in front of my machine :lol:

Niko,

could you please do some scace device measurements on your S1? I wonder how they compare to each other in terms of temp stability.
Thaanks! :D 8)
Niko

Post by Niko »

Hopefully if all goes well with time, I plan on running some Scace tests on the S1 this weekend.
I'll try and run them at the same two different settings as the VII on the video.
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Niko, did you find time to do it?

My machine offset is 0. Funny thing is that in my previous posts in this thread I was talking about the finetuning mode of the original Vivaldi, not Vivaldi II. I just pressed the buttons the way it's described in the original manual (came with my machine together with the original machine's led stripe :shock: :lol: I guess just in case I wanted to test 120C and 85C :lol: or missed the good european model) and it entered the finetuning mode, but pressing anything doesn't make any changes :)

I'm curious how well it performs for I find Mini Vivaldi much cooler then the new Mini Vivaldi II... and I search for an excuse for thinking of buying one when I have the cash someday for my holiday travels, or parents or *anything* 8) :lol: :occasion7: :lol:
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Not sure what you mean by the original manual. The one that Chris originally sent out was just a few photocopied pages from the Shop Manual so I completely rewrote it for him. That's the version he's using now.

You can find that manual here:
http://www.rimpo.org/s1/S1Pix/S1OwnersManual.pdf

The fine tuning on your machine should work as described in this manual.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Niko

Post by Niko »

Nope, sorry...the holiday was a little hectic so it'll have to wait another week or two.
I'm going to do it though :wink:
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

:D
chas wrote:Not sure what you mean by the original manual. The one that Chris originally sent out was just a few photocopied pages from the Shop Manual so I completely rewrote it for him. That's the version he's using now.

You can find that manual here:
http://www.rimpo.org/s1/S1Pix/S1OwnersManual.pdf

The fine tuning on your machine should work as described in this manual.
I meant the manual you refer to here.
But I have the Vivaldi II...
...and it enters the finetuning mode after pressing and holding Two Cup Button in the standby mode, but then pressing anything doesn't get any action.
Yet the offset setting for Vivaldi II is described under this link: http://www.rimpo.org/s1v2/images/S1V2Of ... ctions.pdf
and my machine responds to it.

The manual that came with my machine was for S1 Vivaldi (not S1 Vivaldi II) and has two separate brochures, one for installer (that's where the finetuning is described) and one for use and maintanance. :D
coffeeowl

Post by coffeeowl »

Niko,

with regard to this thread on HB, I think it's a good idea to do a video with two warm-up flushes and then brewing started when the second-to-last lamp stops blinking.

With the GS/3 price drop :wink: and the data in the (prototype 8) ) review I'm just hungry :cat: to see some data of our pretty beasts.
From the videos you already made it looks like Vivaldi II is stable within 0.3 F during the shot, or am I mistaken?
Niko

Post by Niko »

coffeeowl wrote: With the GS/3 price drop :wink:
:lol:

Return to “General Q&A”