good source for water hardness test strips

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
MDL
Barista

good source for water hardness test strips

Post by MDL »

I just received a shipment of Hach Sofchek Water Hardness Test Strips.

The colors are more distinct than the strips that Chris sells and they are comparable in cost, or less expensive. I purchased 50 individually packaged strips for $20, but a bottle of 50 strips is only $8.99 if you are willing to accept the "bulk" packaging.

I purchased these from the following:

http://www.diywatertesting.com/sofchekx3.html

The order was placed on the web on Wednesday and the strips arrived in the US mail today.

Mark
Niko

Post by Niko »

Mark,
Thanks for the info and link.
Much appreciated, I'm checking it out right now...
the bottle of 50 strips looks enticing.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I figured that the individual packaging was worthwhile since the strips will be used over a relatively long period of time and I can afford $0.40 each. My water is very hard (about 15 grains) but the output from my softener is still perfect after 3.5 months of use feeding the VII.

On the other hand, the bottle is so much cheaper that you could throw out the strips if they get damp and still be financially ahead.

Your call...but either way these strips are easier to read than the ones that Chris sells.
Niko

Post by Niko »

MDL wrote: Your call...but either way these strips are easier to read than the ones that Chris sells.
For sure, I see the color really changes quite drastically!
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

These looks great. Trying to see the difference between subtle shades of green in the other ones is tough.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

These are the ones I've been using -- 50 for $6.
http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Hardness-T ... 02C60.aspx
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

I think the strips are useless. They show I have between 4-5 grains of hardness.

That would be great, if I was measuring hard water. That is POST water softener.

If I measure the regular water, I get 4-5 grains of hardness when I know it to be 10-15.

I wouldn't go by those strips at all, get someone with the equipment to test your water.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

I have to disagree with you.

If you are measuring 4-5 grains post softener I think that you may have an issue with your softener. My stock system from Chris's Coffee takes my 14-15 grain water down to 0 and I can distinguish it easily. Don't blame the measuring device before you assure yourself that your softener is functioning fully.

The strips that I use can clearly distinguish between the 4-5 grains that you mention and very low when a softener is being used. My water going into my system from the tap is very hard (14-15 grains) and the water coming out of the softener/filter system is between 0-1.5 grains. Using the strips that I suggest you can clearly distinguish between 4-5 and 0-1.5 (the color changes dramatically).

I consider 4-5 grains to be an area where you could benefit by softening. If your tap water is 4-5 grains a softener cartridge will last for a very long time and reduce the scale accumulation in your boilers.
scot
Macchiato

Post by scot »

I have a whole house water softener, and an additional one that I acquired at some point, but truthfully don't remember how and a RO filter.

To fully test, I tried stock water through the main water softener. It registered at 5. I manually kicked off a regen cycle and tested again, still came out as a 5 three hours later with a new stick.

Through the small softener it came in as a 10, so it must not be working and I didnt take the time to fix.

The RO filter on the other hand was fairly new when I tested the hardness. Still came up with somewhere between 5 and 10, the green had spots of blue in it.

Maybe there is something in the water here, but my experience would tell me its best to test with a lab to at least get a baseline and use the strips to see what the current status is. (so lab says 0, strips say 5. That would mean when the strip says 5 you are really at 0.)
Weska

Post by Weska »

I've recommended titration kits in another thread, but I think it's worth mentioning again for those without convenient lab test sources. The titration kits should be available in any aquarium store.

The one I'm using is branded Sera and made in Germany. Quite possibly it is not available, or not available under that brand, in the US. No matter, there will be something similar. It is described as a "total hardness" test kit, which I think means that calcium and magnesium together are indicated.

To use this, you pull a set amount of water to be tested in a little flask and drop the solution into it one drop at a time. Shake a bit to mix after each drop. When the resulting solution loses its red tint and turns green, the number of drops equals your hardness. (Today mine was 13. I was tardy testing.)

The result of this kit has always agreed with strips from Chris, but I have a lot more confidence in the aquarium kit because there is no judgment call about the color. Looking at the strips, I feel that there is a possible error of plus or minus 3 while I doubt that my error could exceed one grain with the drops. But maybe I'm too inclined to second guess myself.

Return to “General Q&A”