Will a Spaz fit under my Cabinet?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
eholst

Will a Spaz fit under my Cabinet?

Post by eholst »

Can someone with a Spaz help me out, as I am ready to order my La Spaziale Vivaldi II, but I want to verify that it will fit under the limited clearance between the cabinet and counter in my apartment.

The clearance between the counter top and the cabinet above it is exactly 15 inches. The cabinet has a 1/2" thick front lip that is 1 1/4 " high, so the clearance at the front of the cabinet lip is only 13 3/4" high. The back of the lip is 11 1/4" from the wall.

I understand that the removable cup guard is 7/8" tall and is included the stated 15 1/4" hight for the Vivaldi II. I can see that the top panel slopes down to the front of the unit.

Is it possible to substitute shorter feet or modify/shorten the feet? Will the Vivaldi II fit into the hight limitations of my counter and cabinets?

Please advise, I am ready to order.

Thanks- Eric
RGoldman

Post by RGoldman »

I just measured and it's 15.5" at the center of the side panel, 15.25" at the back with the feet on and not counting the cup guard. I have no idea if the feet can be modified or not. Sounds like it might be too tight under that cabinet though.
Maybe someone else can answer about the feet. Personally, I'd just cut the cabinet off to make it fit. It's worth it! :lol:
Niko

Post by Niko »

You can't change the feet because they're threaded just for the ones that come with them. I tried that one, wanted bigger feet but they're not available either.
As for the cabinet, I wouldn't even try to squeeze a Spaz under tight cabinets because of the intense heat in generates.
Do you have a way of not putting it under any cabinets? - I'm assuming probably not and that's why you're here asking this question.
eholst

Post by eholst »

I rent an apartment, so I can't modify or raise the cabinets. They really are to low, very few small kitchen appliances fit underneath them.

As far as not waisting valuable counter space, the best locations are underneath the cabinetry. I do barely have enough space on either side of the kitchen sink that are not underneath cabinets. Realistically only the right side of the sink works, otherwise I will not be able to reach and manipulate the steam wand. But this location also has issues because the Spaz would block access to the switch for the disposal.

Niko, I don't understand your statement about how you can't change the feet. Does the machine have a stud to receive the feet w/ integral female threads? Or do the feet have the threaded stud? Why couldn't you fabricate some sort of replacement feet that are not as tall. It looks form the pictures that the feet are much thicker than necessary. Please clarify.

Thanks- Eric
Last edited by eholst on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niko

Post by Niko »

Eric,
I will repost with some pictures of the area we're talking about (the feet) underneath, etc..
ScottW
Espresso

Post by ScottW »

eholst wrote: Does the machine have a stud to receive the feet w/ integral female threads? Or do the feet have the threaded stud? Why couldn't you fabricate some sort of replacement feet that are not as tall. It looks form the pictures that the feet are much thicker than necessary. Please clarify. Thanks- Eric
You could replace the feet, but... The water connection is under the machine, via a 90 degree elbow. I just looked at mine, and there is about 1/4" clearance between the countertop and the elbow. So you might be able to shave 1/4" off the total height by using shorter feet, but any shorter and the elbow would hit the countertop.

...Scott
Niko

Post by Niko »

This is what I was told in an email from Chris' techs about changing the feet:

"they are a different thread diameter and the holes can not be re tapped
since they are gripserts."

That was the answer for bigger feet, for small ones Scott might be right...you might find small ones that fit the Spaz threads. He is also right about the elbow of the plumbing hose and that's why I wanted to post some pics of that area.
You can probably remove the feet entirely and rest the machine on rubber tamping matte material (on the corners) which might give you just barely enough clearance for the braided hose.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Gripserts are just thin folded metal bent to accomodate a particular thread. They are typically easily replaced (I had to do so on the S-27's "roof rack") to accomodate a specific thread.

BUT, I do not know about the ones specifically on the VivII. The feet on mine arrived loose or entirly off and looked to me to be a standard fine thread sheet metal screw. If you wanted to custom make some wooden feet, I suspect this would not be a problem.

BUT2, you will only get about 3/8" clearence gain max, since--as pointed out earlier--the water line/power/timer cables are located down there.

Thus, my recommendation would be to do what I did with my big old machine back when I was renting--go get a little stand or cart at IKEA and call it a day. Pix below:

Return to “General Q&A”