Help! Was I sold a damaged S1VII?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
JBS

Help! Was I sold a damaged S1VII?

Post by JBS »

Long story => short...
We just ordered a LaSpaziale Vivaldi S1-II and had it delivered. We were told during purchase that it had a small dent in the left side of the rear metal cover -- so we thought "no problem, someone just bumped it or dented it taking it out of the box." And we asked that a new cover be shipped to us and we'd replace it.

When the Vivaldi arrived, we noticed the cover dent was from the INSIDE poking OUT, near where one of the elbows protrudes from the boiler. Taking off the covers, we noticed that when facing the machine squarely from the rear, the boiler is skewed -- tilted about 10-degrees to the right (yet very rigidly fastened). There is also a large rolling depression in the lower left side of the boiler. There is NO WAY this damage occurred in transit to us.

QUESTION: Where we sold a damaged/repaired machine. Can anyone help us who's had the covers off their Vivaldi S1-II: Is this tilt and depression (dent?) normal?

THANKS!
Niko

Post by Niko »

If it makes coffee, it works.
Mine showed up with a ding protruding outwards, I didn't care.
Yes, anything can happen in transit.
If you bought if from Chris, No, they didn't damage it.
Chris and his crew would never send anyone a less than perfect machine.
Zzyzx

Post by Zzyzx »

Niko wrote:If it makes coffee, it works.
So if you were going to buy a brand new car and it had dents and scratches on it you would just shrug it off because it drives fine?

I believe everyone is entitled to have nothing less then what is advertised, nothing more, nothing less.

UPS has to approve the container that is being used to ship a product in order to properly insure it. If it is damaged, UPS is responsible and liable. Chiscoffee shipped a Macap grinder to me a month ago and it was damaged as well, UPS picked it up an a new one was sent.

As far as the statement "There is NO WAY this damage occurred in transit to us"
You would be surprised what UPS can do to a package. I shipped a painting 2 years ago UPS and it was crated and bubbled wrapped, bullet proof I thought. It showed up pulverized to my buyer, compliments of UPS. So you never know
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help! Was I sold a damaged S1VII?

Post by admin »

JBS wrote: Is this tilt and depression (dent?) normal?

THANKS!
No that's not normal. The boiler is only securely fastened by a single bolt which goes through the chassis and in near the top of the boiler. The only thing that keeps the boiler from pivoting around this single bolt is the fact that there is a brass drain cap that sticks through a hole in the bottom of the chassis. This arrangement might let the boiler tilt a little off vertical but not much. You might tilt the S1 backwards from the front and look at the area where that brass drain cap comes through and be sure there is no damage in that area.

The depression you mention on the boiler is a little more bothersome. That boiler is a substantial chunk of metal. It would take quite a blow to dent it. That would give me concern as to whether the life of the sensors or the boiler heater element might be affected.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
bbqnut

Post by bbqnut »

The OP did not state if it was from Chris' or some other vendor, or used.

If Chris' shipped it, I would call them and probably ask for a complete replacement.

I would feel uncomfortable paying $2000, and then have to try and patch it up myself, hoping that some damage won't rear it's head 2 years down the road (not to mention out of warranty).
Niko

Post by Niko »

Zzyzx wrote:
Niko wrote:If it makes coffee, it works.
So if you were going to buy a brand new car and it had dents and scratches on it you would just shrug it off because it drives fine?
If I was told the car had minor damage, yes I would buy it - just like the damage was stated about the machine ahead of time.
If the boiler shifted, yes I'd be worried - I didn't open my machine to look if the boiler is tilted. The dent was clearly stated though...

I don't showcase my coffee machines but if the damage is significant enough, you bet I'd look into replacing the necessary parts.

Return to “General Q&A”