Pump Noise Gets Louder Over Time?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jimmgtsci

Pump Noise Gets Louder Over Time?

Post by jimmgtsci »

I've had my S1 about 8 months now and have noticed that my rotary pump noise seems to be getting louder - before I hardly noticed it but now it seems fairly loud. Is this normal or to be expected? Any others noticed this or should I just call Chris about it?
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I've had mine for about 10 months now and everything's still quiet. I would not hesitate to call Chris. :shock:
BillK

Post by BillK »

Mine seems to be a bit noisier, also. I assume you are not talking about a buzzing or vibrating sound, which can be the result of a loose panel or something sitting on the machine, but rather an actual, slight increase in the noise. The noise I am getting is nothing you would say is abnormal, such as a grinding or squealing or squeaking sound. Just a bit louder.

If you contact Chris, would you please put up a message indicating what was discussed.
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I almost mentioned the rattling as well, Bill (thanks). I have had that happen a few times and it's always my cups on top of the machine... :oops:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The sole difference in the original noisy version of the S1 and the new quiet version is different motor mounts. I could never figure out in looking at the subtle difference in the redesigned mounts how that could possibly make such a huge difference in the noise level, but it sure does.

I think it might be possible for the noise to increase if the bolts on those mounts have loosened up somewhat. For them to work properly the bolts on the top and bottom of the mounts need to be pretty tight.

In any case it's not really a noisy pump. It's actually the electric motor that turns the pump whose vibrations get transferred to the chassis and attached panels if the noise suppressing mounts aren't doing their job.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
BillK

Post by BillK »

I took a closer look at my machine. One of the side panels, in the back, was touching the back panel of the stove. I moved the machine a fraction of an inch and the slightly louder pump noise went away. The machine is now as quiet as new.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Don't you love those easy fixes?
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com

Return to “General Q&A”