backflush disk

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Nectar

backflush disk

Post by Nectar »

Can I use the 58mm backflush disk from Chris' Coffee? I assume not. If not, where do I order the backflush disk or did my S1 come with it? I don't think I received one with it.
JonW

Post by JonW »

Funny you should ask this. I was just thinking the same thing this last weekend. My new S1 didn't come with one either.
Nectar

Post by Nectar »

I just got a reply from Chris' Coffee. They said the rubber disk is for the S1.
JonW

Post by JonW »

Hmmmm..... No rubber disk with mine. I did receive an extra PF/group gasket though.
Nectar

Disk

Post by Nectar »

Yeah, I don't think it's supposed to come with one. Some people really recommend backflushing, others don't. I guess it's just a special order type of thing.
cappadoc

Post by cappadoc »

The rubber backflush disc IS supposed to come with the S1!

Jeff
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

Mine most definitely came with one!

Let Chris know and he'll make it right.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was under the impression that when Chris visited LaSpaziale a couple of years ago, they told him they didn't recommend backflushing. Their recommended cleaning is documented on the S1 Website FAQ page. After that he stopped shipping the S1 with the BF disk. BTW: the one he shipped is made to fit in the single PF basket only.

Laspaziale claims that the double screens keep all the grounds from getting up into the mechanism and that the coffee oils that get up there are needed for lubrication. However, most of us still backflush - maybe just less often and using less Cafiza powder.

You can always make your own temporary backflush disk by cutting a circle out of an old rubber glove or inner tube. You may want to search this forum. It has been a long time but I think a few that made their own, posted what they did around here somewhere.

My main cleaning method is to forward flush. Immediatley after I'm done pulling a set of shots, I run a double shot of hot water through the head with the PF off. After the water runs clear, for the remaining shot time I scrub the screen and gasket area with this "coffeetool" brush I bought from Chris:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/hom ... coffeetool

The opposite end of this tool has a small scoop just large enough to measure the Cafiza when you do decide to backflush.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

I received my S1 last September (just before Labor Day) and it had the disk.

I KNOW I tend to be "conservative" with things like this; however I do all of the above (meaning previous post):

I backflush with the screens removed (soaking in Cafiza) using a small amount of Cafiza. I also do the "portafilter wiggle" after each shot as well as use the tool that Chas mentioned above.

I'm a crema freak and for this purpose I consider cleanliness just about as important as freshness of the beans.

For all I know - maybe that's why I went through my first grouphead gasket so soon! :shock:
Barry

Post by Barry »

My S1 came from Chris WITHOUT a backflush disc. I purchased a brass cap from home depot that I use when I need to backflush. This has been my observation over the last two years:

1. Like Chas, I forward flush EVERY TIME I use the machine. After pulling shots, I remove and clean the screen and diffuser, and run about 6 ounces of water through the group head.

2. Every Sunday I backflush without any detergent. I am actually using the pressure gauge I created (refer to the thread in Tips and Tricks) to do the backflushing since it seems to work better than the brass cap. It appears that the machine backflushes better when all the air is out of the system.

3. About every 8 months I use a small amount of Cafiza. The water that comes out is rather disgusting. While using the technique described above prevents any taste problems, it does not appear to completly prevent the need to use Cafiza once or twice a year to flush out the oil and residue that builds up.

Regards,
Barry
Shutterman

Post by Shutterman »

Just for the record...my new S1 arrived about two weeks ago from Chris Coffee and it did come with the black rubber back-flushing disk. I haven't used it as yet mainly because of the manufacturer's recommendation that it's not necessary on a regular basis, and also because of the reports of others who don't use it regularly.

So far, my quickly-becoming-established routine is also to do a forward flush after each shot and use the coffee tool that has been mentioned. (I was using a bar towel to wipe the screens off, but my wife quickly put a stop to that as I was going through towels too quickly!) Once I think I'm through for a session, I'll drop the screens and diffuser out onto my towel (remember...they're hot!) and deposit them into the sink for a quick wash. I'll also run a flush or two through the group head with the screen/diffuser assembly out just for good measure.

I had a long Independence Day weekend to play with my new S1, and so far I am amazed at how quickly I've adapted to this easy clean-up routine. However as pleased as I am in this, it pales in comparison as to how utterly thrilled I am at being able to already pull some half-way decent shots.

I previously only owned a super automatic and was therefore prepared for a long learning curve when I decided to purchase the S1. While I still have a very long way to go in developing even the most basic of barista skills, it's quickly become apparent that the S1 is going to make it quite a pleasant journey in getting there.

-Dean

Return to “General Q&A”