Alternate Screen Configuration - Yes..No...Washer Needed?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Shutterman

Alternate Screen Configuration - Yes..No...Washer Needed?

Post by Shutterman »

I'll be plumbing in my S1 and firing it up for the first time this weekend. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself (because I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I climb the learning curve) but I'm hoping to get a little more information about using the alternate screen configuration.

From some really old posts, there was an idication that if one uses the alternate screen configuration, there is a risk that one or both screens may become warped. I think I saw where Chas was planning on using a washer to prevent this, but I never did see a follow up post.

My question is really two fold: 1) Are those that converted to using the alternate screen setup still as convinced as they originally were that it helps to reduce channeling...and 2) were you concerned enough about the screen warping issue that you installed a washer? I'm guessing that if warping was really that much of an issue, Chas would have mentioned it on the section of the site that talks about the alternate setup.

One other question has come up in my reading that I couldn't quite get a handle on regarding how much coffee to use. I've seen it recommended that you should fill the basket with enough coffee so that you can see the indentation of the screw. I'm assuming we're talking about after the shot is pulled and not before...right? I'd always heard about the "coin test"...that is to leave the clearance about the width of a coin between the dry coffee and the screen...but with the S1 I don't want to assume anything.

Thanks,

-Dean
MrMonkey

Re: Alternate Screen Configuration - Yes..No...Washer Needed

Post by MrMonkey »

Shutterman wrote:My question is really two fold: 1) Are those that converted to using the alternate screen setup still as convinced as they originally were that it helps to reduce channeling
By no means do I consider myself an expert, and I've only had my S1 for about 7 months. But, I did spend some time trying the alternative screen configuration. For me, it didn't make a noticable difference. Tendency to channel was about the same. Channeling has more to do with my technique than equipment. :oops: I've just been using the standard configuration. I would suggest that you stick with the standard config while getting familiar with the S1. You can experiment with the alternative configuration later.
Shutterman wrote: One other question has come up in my reading that I couldn't quite get a handle on regarding how much coffee to use.
The primary reason I tried the alternatice screen configuration was to get more coffee in the basket. The alternative configuration does provide just a little more head room. One thing I did do to help in this area is replace the bolt that holds the screens (and difuser) in place. The head on the one provided is huge. I found a replacement flat headed bolt (in stainless steel) at a local hardware store that works much better.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I concur with Mr. Monkey. I no longer use the alternate screen configuration since I use a triple basket. The main reason to use the alt config is to squeeze in more coffee.

I had actually tried using only one screen plus a couple of alt two screen configurations. A single screen definitely results in more channeling. Two screens in any configuration cut the channeling because of their impact on restricting the flow. However, over time and naked PFs, it has become clear that tamping technique is the primary impactor on channeling.

If you do use the alt configuration I show on the S1 Web Site, I definitely recommend putting a washer between the screens. In that alt config there is a gap between the two screens. If you don't fill it with a washer, tightening the bolt will smash them together and eventually warp the screens. When that happens you don't get a good seal up against the diffuser and grounds get up in there each time you pull a shot.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Shutterman

Post by Shutterman »

My thanks to you both. I understand things a bit more clearly now on both fronts. I'll leave the screens in the configuration it shipped with and perhaps look around for a stainless steel bolt that doesn't protrude as far.

Regarding those tripple baskets...it sure seems like they are quite the collector's item these days. I'd been following the posts here about them for some time. I'd hoped Lino was going to produce a few more last April. I had planned to buy one back then even though it would be another few months before I would have my S1. Any word if he has any future plans to produce more of them?

Ahh well...I have enough to learn as it is. Tomorrow is plumbing-day and hopefully pulling-my-first-S1-shot day. I can hardly wait.

-Dean
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure if you've found the info on the flatter bolts yet or not. It's here on the forum somewhere. Whoever it was that posted the info first noted the size of the bolt and the manufacturer. I tried my local hardware stores without luck, then went to the manufacturer's web site. From there is appeared that the closest supplier was 100 miles from my locale. So, knowing the size from the original post, I googled up an on-line store that would sell onesy-twosy quantities and ordered a couple plus some stainless steel washers.

I ended up with ones from a different manufacturer. The ones I got have hex head which I don't think was what the other purchaser had. But that turns out to be pretty convenient.

It doesn't look like I bookmarked the place I bought mine but I think I just Googled metric bolts.
S1 Cafe Admin
http://www.s1cafe.com
Shutterman

Post by Shutterman »

Thanks, Chas...I'll google around and see what I can find. I'm sure I'll end up with half-a-dozen tweeks I'll want to try. That's part of the fun of owning a machine like this.

Return to “General Q&A”