Buying a Vivaldi II I think?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Mwilson4040

Buying a Vivaldi II I think?

Post by Mwilson4040 »

This is my first machine. I am building my families house and my payment is a new espresso machine. I am currently running a 3/8 water line to where the machine will live a long with a dedicated 20amp outlet. The grinder I have chosen is the Firenzato F4. I have been researching myself crazy, and cannot come to a conclusion I feel good about. I was trying to keep from posting about the stereotypical "what machine to buy", but living in Akron Ohio I don't have anywhere to try any machines. I was first going to buy HX machine but I do not want to be messing around with flushing and space devices. So I decided DB machine. I wanted pro 700 but 2700$ is a lot of cash. Then Alex or ventrano but read a lot of issues with them. I was also told ventrano doesn't steam the greatest and I really enjoy lattes flat white etc. never had good espresso so not sure I will ever be an aficionado or not. This brings me to la spaziale. Was set on dream but it seams like issues, then Vivaldi II. I AM VERY CONCERNED that getting a 53mm will not be forgiving and will frustrate me. I do not want to send back a machine to a good retailer or pay the shipping. I am also confused on how the buttons work being there is no manual function. Just looking for a forgiving machine I can grow with and whip out some milk based drinks and espressos back to back before work. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks mike
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Buying a Vivaldi II I think?

Post by chas »

Let me address some of your concerns, most of which are my personal opinion:

1) The Dream is now doing great. It initially had some growing pains and required some hardware and software changes based on the initial units shipped. The reason you don't see this reflected in the Forum is that most folks only post with issues they are having and not to tell everyone how great their machine is doing.

2) You are correct in your concerns with the 53mm basket. When the machine first went on the market the situation was much worse in that there were no custom baskets, bottomless pfs, custom shower screens, etc. like there were for 58 mm machines. While the variety is still not on par with 58mm machines, there is now a pretty good selection to choose from.

3) You DO have to work on your fill and tamp technique and keep it at a high level to avoid channeling,but the results are worth it. I have found machines with 58mm baskets to be more forgiving in this area, though you can't be too sloppy about it with any machine and hope for a good result in the cup.

4) If you want the VII/Dream to act like a manual machine put coffee in the basket and program on of the two volumetric shot buttons to run much longer than you'd ever run a normal shot, say 50-60 seconds. That way you will always be able to press the button a 2nd time to turn end your shot but the machine will still turn off after the programmed time in case you get distracted.

5) Lastly, if you are buying both the grinder and the espresso machine from Chris Coffee, don't order from their website. Call and they will probably offer you a better deal especially if you are buying both items together. (The same may be true of other vendors but my only experience with this has been with CCS and 1st Line.)
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Mwilson4040

Post by Mwilson4040 »

Thank you so much for all the advice. I am sticking with the spaziale product. It seems like the deal I am getting its a no brainier compared to any other machine on the market. It's my first machine so I guess 53mm will be my norm. The dream seems like a really good choice but I called a vendor and they said Vivaldi has a little less problems overall. Chas I read a couple of your posts about reoccurring hearing element issues. Are you still having this issue. Has it been addressed. Btw all the big vendors have been so helpful. Usually in specialty stuff like this vendors are pretentious. I'm think ikon the timer on dream isn't that big of a deal because I have read steam boiler heats up in 10. But still at 0430 it would be nice to stumble out of shower and everything is ready to go. Thanks again for replying.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

For whatever it is worth, I routinely turn my Vivaldi II brew boiler on when I wake up. When I finish showering and dressing the brew boiler is hot and I turn on the steam boiler as I start to get breakfast. The steam boiler is hot by the time I am ready to grind and make coffee.

I have no experience with the Dream but do periodically see folks still having temperature sensors or other issues. Personally I would stay with a Vivaldi II instead of the Dream although the timer would be nice to have.

Good luck and I'm sure that you will enjoy either machine.
michael
God Shot

Post by michael »

I got the outboard Vivaldi time which is a little dark ages but I like having the machine hot when I wake up

Great steaming and coffee; for me the only drawback is the C temp (single degrees in F would be a little more precise) and the lack of vst baskets (but you can get precision baskets and shower screens from Chris coffee which I would recommend); I would also get the longer S5 arm if it's still available 8)
expy98

Post by expy98 »

concerning "53mm will not be forgiving and will frustrate me"...

IMO, the VII is not likely to be your concern. As most everyone says, grinder grinder grinder.
Esp if you want to dabble with single origins and lighter roasts. You may want to invest more
research into grinders before you decide...
Mwilson4040

Post by Mwilson4040 »

I am going with the fiorenzato f4 I hope this is enough grinder? And I think I decided on Vivaldi II. It ships in a weeks. Talked with the techs and they said the Vivaldi does have less problems than the dream. It seems weird buying a machine that I know I have have to spend 200$ on timer(I like convenience), rather than buying dream for 200 more and getting more lol. I hate issues though. Thanks again hopefully I'm making right choice.

Return to “General Q&A”