Moving: prep the S1V2 or not

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
THubb

Moving: prep the S1V2 or not

Post by THubb »

Hello all,

I am moving about 700 miles. I have the original box from Chris' Coffee. I plan on setting up the S1V2 immediately after arriving at the new destination. I have the option to move my S1V2 myself or give it to the movers.

So, should I go through the process of emptying the boilers, etc. and box it up and give it to the movers or just pick it up and set it in the back of the wagon and drive it there with no preparation other than pinching the water inlet tube?

Thanks for the input.

Todd
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Moving: prep the S1V2 or not

Post by chas »

If you use movers you definitely need to drain both boilers well. Unless you also remove the fittings and blow the remaining water out of all the lines with compressed air, you will still get some dripping. So you should put it in the large plastic bag it came in AND put a couple of old towels in the bottom of the box.

If you do it yourself, you can get away without draining the boilers but definitely be sure it is secure and also put some towels under it.

On the other hand, it's really not that big a deal to drain the boilers and you should probably consider it in either case. When I drain the steam boiler, I straddle it over the kitchen sink, then remove the drain bolt from the bottom of the boiler. There is often a thin coating of minerals over this hole. Just stick the end of a Phillips screwdriver up there to break through the crust.

For the group boiler, just remove the bolt on top of the boiler, then stick a piece of vinyl tubing in and siphon the water out. When you put the bolt back put a couple of wraps of teflon tape around it.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”