GS3

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
txrpls

GS3

Post by txrpls »

Anyone out know if my wife can fill her cup on the GS3 like she does on the Mini II. I can't find any details on the GS3 ports filter height. It's time to upgrade, but wife acceptance factor is primary.
image.jpg
image.jpg (717.35 KiB) Viewed 18570 times
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: GS3

Post by chas »

That cup would stand up straight under a GS/3 pf.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
adagan
Latte

Post by adagan »

It would also stand straight under the V2 if you remove the drip tray for those 30 seconds.
C8H10N4O2
goodboyr
Barista

Post by goodboyr »

And then quickly get it back in before the 3 way exhausts.........:-)
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

20150406_115814.jpg
20150406_115814.jpg (597.38 KiB) Viewed 18515 times
Chas
Hottop P/B
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Thanks for the image. It's a lot of money, but I don't think I will be happy until I get one. Almost pulled the trigger on the Dream, but I think dumping the dough on the GS3 is the right choice.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

You'll be glad you did.
Chas
Hottop P/B
rhinoevans
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by rhinoevans »

I wouldn't doi t, even if I had the money. Sure it is a great machine. I have owned an original S1 for ten years and an upgrade to me would be the E61 Vetrano 2B. How much better can the espresso really be. Your cost per cup goes why up with the LM. Look how expensive the machines are in Starbucks and their coffee is horrible. Not all about the machine as it is the barista. Great machine, adequate barista = adequate espresso. Good luck.

I want to upgrade, but have decided to wait till my S1 dies. Not sure that will ever happen but had decided on either the Dream or the Vetrano 2B.

Lately I have spent more money on a better grinder and quality fresh beans.
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. This is not my first rodeo and have owned multiple machines including levers, E61s, and even one fully automatic. I frankly got tired of rebuilding the E61 group head every couple of years. The only other machine I would consider is Slayer, but alas it only comes in a plumbed in version. I've had more grinders than I care to remember including an HG One. I think the GS3 will suit my needs.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I've already had mine for 6 years and have had to replace only the steam boiler temp sensor which is actually a thermocouple and the vacuum breaker valve. The latter I replaced with one that has a 90 degree barbed pipe at the top. I then connected vinyl tubing to that and used a barbed T connector to connect it to the line coming out of the little tank that the OPV sits it. Now any water coming out of the OPV or the VBV as the boiler warms up gets routed into the drip tray. For all I know this may come standard with new machines. It pretty much eliminated the possibility of having a situation where water is spraying around inside the machine.
Chas
Hottop P/B
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

I'll check it out when it gets here.
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

Bummed out. I thought the GS3 would allow paddle pulls and volumetric. Looks like i'm going to have to cancel the order. The wife acceptance factor just went to zero. If I can't have the paddle I'll just stay with the mini.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I bought my GS/3 before they came out with the paddle version. I was given the opportunity for an inexpensive upgrade to the paddle version but I decided it wasn't as important to get the paddles vs what I would have to give up.
Chas
Hottop P/B
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

I wanted it primarily for the paddle. I know you also have a Dream. Do you think the 3 is worth the extra scratch over the Dream with its programmability?
txrpls

Post by txrpls »

The machine will be here Monday. Looking forward to the next step in dialing it in.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Are you having fun yet?

I really like the fact that the steam and hot water arms come up and out from the top corners of the machine providing so much more clearance for the cups and that the group is higher above the drip tray. Using the steam boiler as a heat exchanger to preheat the group water is nice too. Between that, the PID, and the saturated group, the shot stability is excellent. Also the hot / cold mix valve for the hot water is great.

That said there are still a number of areas where the Dream really shines with all it's electronic programmable controls for only 1/3 the cost of a GS/3.
Chas
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”