53 mm group

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
FirstBetta

53 mm group

Post by FirstBetta »

I'm looking at the Mini VII as the cure for my upgrade illness. I have been looking ever since I became convinced that my current machine was not going to be my end all be all espresso provider. A cursory research led me to the Mini II as the best for me. However, I'm used to the 58 mm group of my current machine and leery of the difference. I've finally boiled it down to specific questions. I have also looked at the QM Sivano, Lelit Diana, BDB. The QM leaves me leery about steaming because my current machine uses a thermoblock for steaming and has a pulsing pump action so I'm not sure where I could improve in a TB machine. The LeLit doesn't have a track record and some off other models from the MFR. don't have very good reviews in reliability. So, I'm saving my pennies to afford the Mini II. The BDB has some questions in the reliability so I'm not real enthusiastic in spending my money there. I have a Baratza Porte AP as my grinder after trying several others.

I'm not looking to find and enjoy the "god" shot. I just want to be able to have a great shot when I want one. So, the machine will not be a hobby tool but a kitchen tool for me.

My current consumption is a couple of shots in the AM, frequently as a Latte, occasional straight shots in the PM. I live alone so entertainment capability is really restricted to visits from my kids and almost any machine will handle that. I also need the assurance of being able to know what the current parameters of the shot are, it comes from my working life experiences in engineering and implementing production processes

I"m retired and on a fixed income so price is important so the other machines w/ comparable features are attractive but I'm hinky about reliability and repairability. Likewise unforeseen repair costs cause a big rock to form in my gut.

! I assume that the dosing will be different for the same bean. True or false.
2 I also assume that the grind will be different forthe same bean. T/F
Will it be more or less difficult to dial in the dose/grind compared to the 58 mm PF?
I also think that the distribution will be more important in the 53 mm primarily due to channeling problems. I currently use WDT and check the channeling w/ a naked PF.

Any advice or questions will be welcomed so I can finalize my choice when the pennies finally add up.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: 53 mm group

Post by chas »

I've had six espresso machines - 3-58mm plus one each V1, V2, and Dream. The 53mm does seem to take more discipline to keep from channeling, but it's doable.

There are more 58mm accessories from 3rd party vendors than for the 53mm PF. However, this situation is improving over time given the large number of S1 machines that have sold.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
FirstBetta

Re: 53 mm group

Post by FirstBetta »

Thanks. This will allow me to got into this with my eyes wide open.

Return to “General Q&A”