Buying S1 tomorrow...but have questions

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
alsterling

Buying S1 tomorrow...but have questions

Post by alsterling »

I'm planning on buying an S1 and Mazzer Mini-E "B" this week.
I'D APPRECIATE ANYONE GIVING ME THEIR PHONE TO CALL THEM BACK ON THIS.......I WANT TO CUT THE P.O. BEFORE FRIDAY

I would very much like to ask some questions about the machine and the dealers. I've talked with three dealers so far, but only two have stock, and only one has both the S1 and Mazzer.

If input about the dealers would be inappropriate, ie; airing sensitive opinions publicly, I'd welcome a phone number to call back. I have no problem posting my number and email:

alsterling@earthlink.net
949-305-0488
alsterling

Howard, thanks for the email.....and why the urgency

Post by alsterling »

Howard... thanks for the quick response via personal Email. I'm on a rather tight sched and should have apologized in my orig. post for the urgency. I have some roasted proprietary blend coffee I brought back from one of our suppliers in Brasil. I promised to sample it ASAP prior to my green samples being prepared and shipped. I'm also ordering a small drum roaster and picking it up while on another business trip to the SFran Bay Area next week. We could have done this on the Expobar, but I'd prefer working with a double boiler, temp controlled machine. In lieu of the S1 next week, I'm taking some of the sample roasts to another coffee supplier and a cafe' owner up North. Both have far better taste buds than I and will be able to run some of the shots on their equipment.
As a note of interest, I called ESI in Seattle earlier today and had a very informative chat with Scott. After the S1, we're going to be buying a dual boiler, possibly LM or Synesso, for the test kitchen. They don't carry the S1, but were very fair in their opinion of the machine. It's a small world out there, and positive karma travels farther than the negative kind.

Again, thanks for your input. I hope to find other S1 owners as generous as you with your time.

Best, Al
hlsheppard

Post by hlsheppard »

My pleasure, sir. Please keep in touch!

This board doesn't get a TON of traffic. So, if I can help (or even if I can't), give me a shout and we'll find someone who CAN.

Let us know how it all turns out.
alsterling

Thanks for all the help......

Post by alsterling »

I've been floating from CG to Greencoffee to the S1 forum, and don't remember posting a "....what happened post."

I did order the S1, Macap doser stepless, 53mm Rosewood handle stainless tamper and a container of Grindz.............. all from Chriscoffee. I'm very glad that I ordered from Chris.

While I believe that the other S1 vendors are certainly capable, Chris has such a passion for the S1, and has been such an integral part of its development, that having him as my S1 vendor is, in itself, a valuable resource.

When I was looking for the S1, Chris didn't have any in stock. Only two other vendors had machines, and then only one also had my selected grinder. Fortunately, Chris' shipment was released from customs earlier than anticipated and after calling him back to qualify my grinder decision, I was told that they had the S1s.

Again, I got calls from many of you out there...... and each call helped me qualify my machine and vendor issues.

Thanks again, Al
JonW

Post by JonW »

I guess I better get my order in while Chris has them! Time to make the jump!

Al, since you are in SoCal, are you doing anything for water filtering and softening? I've always used bottled water so I now need to figure out what to put inline with the S1.

Anyone else know the general suitability of SoCal water for direct plumbing?

Thanks,
Jon
BillK

Post by BillK »

JonW wrote:I guess I better get my order in while Chris has them! Time to make the jump!

Al, since you are in SoCal, are you doing anything for water filtering and softening? I've always used bottled water so I now need to figure out what to put inline with the S1.

Anyone else know the general suitability of SoCal water for direct plumbing?

Thanks,
Jon
The kit from Chris costs about a hundred bucks and is a must, IMHO since almost all areas of the country have some hardness. Add to this a pressure regulator and you have the right stuff to completely protect your new machine.

http://www.ccwater.com/waterquality/faq.asp

Note the section about water hardness in the L.A. water district. I guess Mulholland couldn't do it all.
alsterling

Post by alsterling »

JonW wrote:Al, since you are in SoCal, are you doing anything for water filtering and softening?
As a matter of fact, my Expobar has a 1/4" water feed tube that comes from........... a dual stage 10" filter pak. I use a combo charcoal and sediment filter in the pre-filter input and use a 10" resin soft water filter in the post or second 10" holder. I buy my resin filters wholesale from an Orange County distributor. Chriscoffee sells the same resin filter seperately, as I understand.

Best bet is not to worry about where you live, just have someone check your water solids content and then get the appropriate filter system. Being that you need pressured water, you can't easily soften and extract all the good taste and then add it back in with mineral water as with a pourover machine.

Knowing all that, I asked Mary to just fit my S1 with a 1/4" fitting for my tubing. 3/8" is better, but as long as the pump doesn't starve out and cavitate.

I would agree with the other comment........ when in doubt, filter and soften. Then adjust your system for taste, if you can.

Best, Al
JonW

Post by JonW »

alsterling wrote:........ when in doubt, filter and soften. Then adjust your system for taste, if you can.
Not sure I understand the adjustment part here. If I put the charcoal filter and softener inline, how would I adjust for taste?
alsterling

Proper approach.......

Post by alsterling »

Well, I shouldn't have said adjust to taste. What I'm thinking is that firstly, you have to adjust the solids to a point that won't prematurely, if at all, calcify your boilers. It's debatable if you could actually adjust the water back to a tolerable mineral level. I don't know how you'd do it, but anything is possible......right?

Best, Al
Barry

Re: Proper approach.......

Post by Barry »

alsterling wrote:Well, I shouldn't have said adjust to taste. What I'm thinking is that firstly, you have to adjust the solids to a point that won't prematurely, if at all, calcify your boilers. It's debatable if you could actually adjust the water back to a tolerable mineral level. I don't know how you'd do it, but anything is possible......right?

Best, Al
You can, in fact, put a calcium carbonate cartridge in line after the softening process to introduce a small amount of calcium back into the water.
alsterling

Re: Proper approach.......

Post by alsterling »

Barry wrote:You can, in fact, put a calcium carbonate cartridge in line after the softening process to introduce a small amount of calcium back into the water.
And therein lies the reason for my cautioning others to "Never say no..."

(whew!..... like I've always said...."Anything is possible, given the variables of TIME and MONEY.")

Thanks Barry, Al (PS: Do those cartridges come in flavors?; "Rocky Mountain High", etc.?} (smile)

Return to “General Q&A”