Plumbing lines

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Chura
Macchiato

Plumbing lines

Post by Chura »

Hi,

My S1V2 on the way :)
Working on the plumbing...

I gonna use a 8L Softener with 3/8" in and outs, and Pentek 101L filter with 1/4" in and outs.
My water line is 3/8" out.
I think 6mm (1/4") lines between everything should be fine, is it ?
If not, the other options is 8mm (5/16").

What do you suggest ?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Plumbing lines

Post by chas »

My entire run is 3/8" and i am very happy with it. This is what Chris Coffee recommended for the S1. However, there are some users with 1/4" line that say it works fine for them.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
Chura
Macchiato

Post by Chura »

The cost to make the change is very low. however I prefer 6mm for now since its gonna be visible (rented house).

The big question i'm asking, What could be the problem if the 6mm is not enough ? Can it harm the machine ?
And also, how can I tell if its not enough ?
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

If the small lines can't supply enough water you can get cavitation in the pump (or so I hear). The visual difference between 1/4 and 3/8 lines is very small and I would suggest that you just go with 3/8 from end to end and avoid any worry.
Chura
Macchiato

Post by Chura »

when I translate cavitation to my language it doesn't make sense :) lol.

My logic say that when the tube is lower the pressure is higher. Doesn't the pump need the right pressure instead of volume ? after all the amount of water taken is not that high.
MDL
Barista

Post by MDL »

The issue is volume delivered per unit time, not pressure. Some machines require a 3/8 line to give adequate flow. I believe that there are folks who have run the Vivaldi using 1/4 lines, but Chris suggests 3/8 and that is what I have used. I can't actually speak to how it works with 1/4 lines.
Chura
Macchiato

Post by Chura »

Someone suggested me to do simple test, fill bottle of 500ml and check time, as long as its less then 15 sec I'm good.
sounds legit ?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

The best test is to pull a shot and run hot water at the same time. If the pump is starving for water it'll make a lot of noise and tell you. If all is quiet then you are good.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
peter

Post by peter »

chas wrote:The best test is to pull a shot and run hot water at the same time. If the pump is starving for water it'll make a lot of noise and tell you. If all is quiet then you are good.
My S1 is plumbed using 1/4" and it's never been an issue. But I've never run the hot water spout while pulling a shot, since that's not part of my routine.
Chura
Macchiato

Post by Chura »

Plumbing is ready, all 1/4".
Machine is delayed :(
The store I bought from is in Italy and working with La Spazialle directly.
They say working with La Spazialle is never easy, lots of delays and service issue's :(

So its the 3rd week i'm waiting for the S1V2 to arrive... dammit!

Thanks for your answers, will test everything as recommended when it will arrive.

Return to “General Q&A”