Filter Basket Diameter (S1V2)

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
smuseby

Filter Basket Diameter (S1V2)

Post by smuseby »

I just ordered my new Vivaldi S1 and need to have a tamper when it arrives. I would like to order a Reg Barber tamper (0.1mm spec). Can anyone tell me the precise diameter of the filter basket? - or the tamper diameter that seems to be optimal?
Thanks,
Bob
peter

Re: Filter Basket Diameter (S1V2)

Post by peter »

I have a RB, and when I ordered it, I simply said it was for a 53mm La Spaz. I don't know what the baskets measure, but the tamper is right on at 53mm, and there's a little room between the tamper and baskets. It's just right.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Filter Basket Diameter (S1V2)

Post by chas »

Just order a straight 53.0mm diameter. That's what mine is and it is a perfect fit. The issue with going larger, say 53.3mm is that, while it may fit into the top of the basket OK, if there is any taper at all to the sides of the basket, then the tamper may wedge against the sides before you have tamped down as far as you need to go. (Been there, done that!)

BTW: I've tried flat, American Curve, Euro Curve, Ripple, and "C" ripple. My current go to tamper is just the flat ripple in stainless steel. My only concern from the last time I ordered from Reg was that the Canadian Post shipping charges are now a significant fraction of the total order cost.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B

Return to “General Q&A”