Programming Volumetric Dosing

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
tglodjo

Programming Volumetric Dosing

Post by tglodjo »

I'm curious how others on this forum program the brew button. I'm aware that most program the single for rinsing and cleaning. What I've been confused about, however, is how much to program the double shot. I've been using 16g of coffee and programmed it to yield 2oz, but when I change my grind setting, my yield is either much higher or much lower. Do you have to reprogram the button each bean and/or grind setting? I was hoping there would be a general way to always yield 2oz, especially if I always use 16g of coffee.

(Note: I am aware that for the best shots the program won't matter as I will start and stop the shot based on time and appearance, but for convenience sake, especially when doing milk drinks, I want an all-around good volume to program...)

I appreciate any feedback!
richardcoffee
God Shot

Re: Programming Volumetric Dosing

Post by richardcoffee »

yeah, if you make a change, you have to reprogram. Other than cutting it off manually as you suggest, I don't know of any way around it.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

So long as your volumetric sensor is working correctly, the machine will dispense the programmed amount of water each time. The variable is the amount that gets retains by the grinds.

You'd need a portafilter with a volumetric sensor under the coffee bed down in the spout to automatically get the same amount in the cup every time. 8)
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
tglodjo

Post by tglodjo »

Thanks, guys. That's what I was assuming. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't off or missing something since I'm a newb to the machine :)
peter

Post by peter »

It makes me ask myself, "How much are you changing your grind?" I would think that if your grind changes enough that your output volume is changed wildly, you wouldn't be in the acceptable shot parameters. When I see a new coffee pulling too fast by 5 seconds and tighten up the grind, it still gives me consistent output volume. When you find the correct grind setting, is your output volume always the same?
tglodjo

Post by tglodjo »

I was only adjusting the micro setting on my Vario a few notches, but it could be that I just need a little more time to get to know the machine, especially in relation to grind settings and specific beans/roasts.
maverickcro

Post by maverickcro »

to revive this thread back... i was playing around with volumetric dosing and i really think that dosing system is TIME based and not volume based... if you put empty pasket precalibrated to FULL basked and press extraction you will not end up with only 60ml of water before cutout but rather it will continue to flow until it reach TIME you have calibrated for extraction.

so i think you will need to programm extraction time and than just adjust your grinder to match your desire extraction time..

UPDATE:
well kick me sideways but i really dont get how this work.... looks like it is volumetric dosing but need to be programmed with coffee in portafilter.... but again i dont get why i got 6-8 ml less coffe last time than i originaly programmed to 60 ml.. i found that on some shots i had some unfiltered coffe in portafilter above puck so maybe there is lost ml hiding?...

Return to “General Q&A”