S1 Preinfusion Chamber, does it make a difference?

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
bonganim

S1 Preinfusion Chamber, does it make a difference?

Post by bonganim »

I know it's been a while since the S1 Preinfusion Chamber has been on the market. This has given us a while to evaluate its virtues and vices. I wish to have one installed on my machine but I'm wandering if I will see any noticeable change in my coffee's quality.

To all who have this contraption installed, was it worth the money and elbow grease? I'm in South Africa and we don't have suppliers and I will have to import it from overseas suppliers. Am I better off using the port where it connects for a PF Pressure Gauge or is it really worth it? :-?
LDT

Re: S1 Preinfusion Chamber, does it make a difference?

Post by LDT »

Hopefully those who are more knowledgeable than I will respond, but here is my two cents. I did not notice an "in your face difference". It took much longer to install than the directions indicated, but there were no leaks with installation. Only problem was that there was some interference with the vertical panel that surrounds the meter. Problem solved by pushing pre-infusion chamber higher in the available space. I might think twice if shipping charges were a significant part of the overall cost. Hope this helps.
Endo

Post by Endo »

The vibe pump has a naturally gentle pressure ramp-up, so the pre-infusion is less important than on the rotary S1. Still, if you have $80, it won't hurt either.
bonganim

Post by bonganim »

I understand. My deduction is that the chamber does not add much except make the machine heavier and worth an extra $80. Having mentioned the gentle pressure of a vibe pump, is there a noticeable difference between the vibe and rotary S1?
Endo

Post by Endo »

bonganim wrote:I understand. My deduction is that the chamber does not add much except make the machine heavier and worth an extra $80. Having mentioned the gentle pressure of a vibe pump, is there a noticeable difference between the vibe and rotary S1?
I doubt anybody has tried both and compared.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

I recall reading a taste comparison between espresso made with vibe and rotary pumps (likely not Vivaldi specific) that found no difference at all.
secuspec

Post by secuspec »

GDK wrote:I recall reading a taste comparison between espresso made with vibe and rotary pumps (likely not Vivaldi specific) that found no difference at all.
I can second that. We have tried both machines side by side on a Kaffee-Netz gathering with the very same coffee out of the same grinder and were not able to find any noteworthy difference in taste or texture.

The faster pressure ramp up of the rotation pump is flattened by the gicleur built into the Vivaldi.
bonganim

Post by bonganim »

Thanks for the technical clarification. I guess I do not need to make my machine any more heavier or any more expensive. I will use the port where it would have gone for a group gauge. I acquired a dual manometer for the purpose.
fantastigg

Post by fantastigg »

I tried the machine without preinfusion before buying. When I caved they had another open box, it was the redesign with preinfusion already installed. I was able to get it for the same price so I went with it. However I don't notice much of a difference.

Return to “General Q&A”