SCAA Exposition in Portland, OR

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
LDT

SCAA Exposition in Portland, OR

Post by LDT »

I don't know if we have any Forum members in the Pacific NW who may be attending this event (which opens today)at the Convention Center in Portland but I plan to attend on Friday. I've never been to this event and since it's close I thought I go over and see what's happening. May take a few photos and post for all to see.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: SCAA Exposition in Portland, OR

Post by chas »

I keep waiting for one to be close to my location. So far I don't think there's been one in the last several years closer to me than about 1,000 miles. I just noticed on the CCS Facebook page that they are not going to have a booth but Chris will be there wandering around.

I see that SCAA 2013 is going to be in Boston. I guess I can make that one. It's "only" 300 miles.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
richardcoffee
God Shot

Post by richardcoffee »

c'mon man. I went to the Coffee Fest in Seattle back in September and I live in Indiana. What a fun trip.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

chas wrote: I see that SCAA 2013 is going to be in Boston. I guess I can make that one. It's "only" 300 miles.
Only about 80 miles for me. Hopefully it will be at the Seaport Conv. Center which is an easy in & out. Driving in downtown Boston is a nightmare.
LDT

Post by LDT »

As promised here are some photos the the opening day of SCAA 2012 in Portland, OR:

Waiting for the doors to open at 11:00am

Some entertainment just prior to opening

An interesting 4 head automated french press type machine for coffee shops

Hard to get this guy to stand still

Plenty of coffee to sample

An actual roaster from Proaster

Enjoy! I did!
peter

Post by peter »

I was in Portland for the SCAA, and met up w/ 8-9 members from the Green Coffee Buying Club. Two of us from Milwaukee, two from Ohio, one from CA, one from BC Canada, a Seattle guy, and a Portland guy.

The show was very good, but I knew going into it there wasn't much there for me and how I do coffee; it's geared more to those who make a living in the industry. But I did get to meet people from the importers I buy bags of coffee from, who I've only known over the phone. I had one good cup of coffee from the 'four-head french press' thing LDT had in his pics; very, very good. I had a sum total of zero good espressos at the show, and it wasn't for lack of trying. It was either mediocre beans, or poor technique. For example, the 4-group Bosco lever in LDT's photos is a great machine, but the people in the booth had 1 day and 4 days of experience respectively on that machine. I had shots from two Synessos, a couple LM Stradas, and nothing came close to what I have at home. It is what it is, but it's beyond me why a booth is trying to highlight either their machines or their beans would spend time and money to do so, and yet allow such poor results.

It was fun to walk through the La Spaz booth; after seeing all the high-end bling machines everywhere, including their booth, and then see a Mini it just made me chuckle. The Mini looks impressive in a kitchen, but there it looked like a Sylvia.

The redeeming grace to the convention was simply that we knew that it was merely the excuse to spend 4 days with old friends and make some new ones. And since my accountant says 'save the receipts' I guess I can write it all off too.
Richard

Post by Richard »

JohnB wrote:Hopefully it will be at the Seaport Conv. Center which is an easy in & out. Driving in downtown Boston is a nightmare.
It will be at the Boston Convention & Exposition Center, and yes, it's easy-in, easy-out from the Mass Pike (if you get out of that tunnel at the right exit, that is; otherwise you wind up in the harbor tunnel and can't turn around until you hit the airport).

Nightmare? <<grin>> I'm in town all the time for business. It's not that bad.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

If you are familiar with downtown Boston it might only be awful but if not the maze of one way streets is a nightmare that I avoid at all costs. Looks like the Convention Center is only a couple blocks down from the the Seaport Center. Drop my wife at the Seaport Center for the Marathon Expo & head over to coffee world!! We are considering getting a room at the Seaport Hotel as there are a number of Marathon events she normally misses out on plus you can only sample so much coffee in one day. :bounce:

Return to “General Q&A”