Preparing mini S1V2 for storage/shipping

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
diggi

Preparing mini S1V2 for storage/shipping

Post by diggi »

First post here, glad to find this new resource.

Upgrade from Miss Silvia to mini S1V2 is imminent. I am on a business trip where I am planning to meet the seller, and ship back to my home. I have been unable to locate information on how to prepare the mini S1V2 for storage (to clear water from all parts that may freeze on transport). My thoughts are that I should pay the extra for freeze protection anyway, but don't want to risk my whole shipment if something is left out in the cold on transfer.

I posted this question Feb 14 on CG and got one response, indicating to remove the cap from the volumetric sensor, which I will do if others here feel this is prudent. After finding this site, I'm sure there is much more knowledge about my new machine....can't wait; It's just like Christmas!

EDIT: I've looked through the owner's manual and think I can figure out how to turn the steam boiler on and off and to drain it after the element is off. I'm not sure what happens when I try to drain the main boiler below the 1L low water light.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: Preparing mini S1V2 for storage/shipping

Post by chas »

This winter season we have had two folks receive machines with cracks in the volumetric sensor housing so the suggestion to remove or at least loosen that cap is probably a good one.

The process they use at Chris Coffee does NOT include the above thus that damage. However, they do drain both boilers and also remove the solenoid valves so they can blow out water between those and the end of each outlet water line using compressed air.

When I shipped both of my previous S1's after sale, I also put an old towel underneath the machines just in case I didn't get all the water out so that the bottom of the box wouldn't get wet. To play it extra safe I also did one more thing that Chris Coffee doesn't do. I put all the lose parts incl. portafilters in a separate box with each major piece well wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped those items in a separate box. By shipping them separately, you eliminate the chance of their banging against the machine in transit.

Good luck.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
diggi

Post by diggi »

I appreciate the reply.

Trouble is, I will be seeing this machine for the first time in my hotel room (will have to bring some tools) and looking through this site and the user manual, I don't think I have figured out where this stuff is located. Can someone please link a picture of how to get at the volumetric sensor housing and the solenoid valves. I like the suggestion of shipping spare parts separately. I'll probably pack those in my luggage, if not just to decrease the weight of the shipment and save some $$.

EDIT: Any word on how to empty the main boiler completely (can I turn off the main boiler to allow me to expose element?; I know that I can turn off the steam boiler). I don't see this info covered anywhere else.
Thanks.
diggi

Post by diggi »

Not to badger......

I have been unable to locate information on how to drain boilers (main boiler specifically) below low water light. This makes me think I have to drain them by disconnecting tubing and not by running the pump. Can anyone answer this question? This is necessary information for users who need to drain their boilers for storage , or shipment in freezing temperatures (or is it fine to let it freeze?)
Endo

Post by Endo »

Here are the brew boiler draining instructions for the Mini from Dodger1 that he posted in another topic. WARNING! It's for the Mini , which has a reservoir and uses a vibe pump, so it may be a very bad idea for the rotary Vivaldi (since if you run a rotary pump dry, it will destroy the pump.
Dodger1 wrote:Here's what Jason at CC recommended:

"To drain the brew boiler, empty the water reservoir and turn the machine off. Then press and hold the hot water button on the left and then press the on/off button and release while continuing to hold the hot water button. Lean the machine forward a little bit while doing this and then release the button when no more water comes out then empty the drip tray."
Someone with a rotary Vivaldi might need to help me out here, but if I remember correctly, there is a nut on the top side of the brew boiler which you can remove to syphon the water out. (I think).
Brew Boiler Drain Nut
Brew Boiler Drain Nut
nut.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 11532 times
diggi

Post by diggi »

Thank you soooo much
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Endo, I think the S1V2 "Maxi" has also switched to the new unplated group boiler style as well. With that new boiler design, the nut on top that used to be the convenient place to siphon water from the group boiler is gone.
Chas
Hottop P/B
Endo

Post by Endo »

I suppose the next best place to syphon from would then be the water inlet nut?
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

Endo, that's what I am thinking as well for draining the group boiler.

For recent Mini's and Maxi's the key way to drain the steam boiler is via the drain plug in the bottom of the boiler. For the Maxi that plug sticks out through the bottom of the chassis. The easiest thing in a kitchen is to straddle it over the kitchen sink and let it drain there. If you are in a hotel room, though, the best bet is probably the shower.

I've never seen the access on a Mini but I assume you pull out the water tank and you can then stick a wrench through the hole to access the bottom of the Mini boiler. Is this correct?

Endo, what do you think about removal vs. loosening of the volumetric sensor cover? My main thought there is what is the way to prepare it for winter shipment to prevent cracking while also ensuring that no parts get lost. If you just loosen the cover the screws will probably wiggle out and then both screws and the cover are rattling around loose and may also get lost. It might be possible to loosen the screws and then put some packing tape over the cover to keep everything in place. Or completely remove the parts, put then in a small baggie and tape the bag securely inside the V1? Thoughts?
Chas
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

I think if i were to ship my machine i would completley remove the top cap and wrap it up seperately. That way any remaining moisture could still drain into the vol. sensor body and cause no damage. Nice thing is its really easy to get to and simply removes with an allen key.There is also a fine rubber gasket that i would package up so it doesn't get damaged .

I would bet if the op called cc they would tell him how its done.
Endo

Post by Endo »

chas wrote: I've never seen the access on a Mini but I assume you pull out the water tank and you can then stick a wrench through the hole to access the bottom of the Mini boiler. Is this correct?
Unfortunately, my Mini doesn't have the steam boiler drain boss. Still, as you say, it should be very staright forwad and I expect all you need to do is remove the reservoir, then remove the plug.
chas wrote: Endo, what do you think about removal vs. loosening of the volumetric sensor cover? My main thought there is what is the way to prepare it for winter shipment to prevent cracking while also ensuring that no parts get lost. If you just loosen the cover the screws will probably wiggle out and then both screws and the cover are rattling around loose and may also get lost. It might be possible to loosen the screws and then put some packing tape over the cover to keep everything in place. Or completely remove the parts, put then in a small baggie and tape the bag securely inside the V1? Thoughts?
The cover has a o-ring seal on it, so I think completely removing it would be best. As Zedex says, once you`ve loosened the hex screws, you might as well remove the whole cover, bolts and rotor and put them in a bag for safe keeping.

As others have said, I think the key to safe packing is to remove all water, then out all the individual, loose parts (and fragile plastic bits, like side covers) in seperate boxes inside the main box.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Endo wrote:I suppose the next best place to syphon from would then be the water inlet nut?
This is also what I use to drain the coffee boiler. The inlet tube has just enough play to put it aside and use a straw to siphon water out easily. This is what I do every 6 month to prepare for descaling.

Return to “General Q&A”