15 and 20amp option on Mini

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
jerrycl

15 and 20amp option on Mini

Post by jerrycl »

I bought my mini in Australia and I was curious as to whether mine has been set up in 15amp or 20amp mode. I note from Chris' latest manual for the mini that the switch is identified as follows:

However, my internals look slightly different (see below). I have an Eco/Full toggle switch set to the Full position but there is also an ancillary On/Off toggle set to the Off position. I'm just wondering whether any members have this set up and know exactly what the switches do?

chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Re: 15 and 20amp option on Mini

Post by chas »

ECO=15A, FULL=20A

The other switch is for use with the optional timer module. It MUST be OFF when the timer module is not connected and it MUST be ON when the timer module is connected. Otherwise, strange symptoms result that you would never think were due to this being the cause. This has been discussed on a couple of threads a few years back. Try the Search option at the top right of this page and you should be able to locate those discussions, if you are interested.

You are the first person to note the change in labeling on the power mode switch. I wonder if all new machines are shipping with this new label now. Have any other recent purchasers noticed this?
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Mine is 15/20 switch. Bought in Dec 2011 from CCS. CCS probably has his machines build with the covetted 15/20 sticker. :grin:
BeRad

Post by BeRad »

I have a 220VAC version (Oct 2011) w/ the full/eco sticker. Perhaps only 120VAC versions have the 15/20 sticker as I don't believe those are common breaker sizes in 220 land.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

A 220V version would not need such switch, it will only need 10A circuit to have both boilers run simultaneously.
jerrycl

Post by jerrycl »

GDK wrote:A 220V version would not need such switch, it will only need 10A circuit to have both boilers run simultaneously.
OK, thanks, great info. I suspected both boilers were operating simultaneously. I might have to look into the posts on the other switch if I ever go down the timer route.
chas
Vivaldi Dreamer

Post by chas »

I concur that a 220V S1 should not need a Full/Eco switch, but from BeRad's post it sounds like they have one.
Chas
LM GS/3 & LaSpaziale Dream v 1.25 (US 120V)
Mazzer Kony E, Customized Rocky
Hottop P/B
jerrycl

Post by jerrycl »

chas wrote:I concur that a 220V S1 should not need a Full/Eco switch, but from BeRad's post it sounds like they have one.
Yes, that hadn't immediately occurred to me, but unless you're on a KVA demand tariff where you're charged for the demand you place on the grid in addition to the electricity you consume (KWH), how is there anything "ECO" (assuming the term is used for 'economy mode') about the ECO setting? Or, does it stand for 'ecologically friendly' or some such notion? Still would not make a lot of sense.

Hmmm... Curious!
Endo

Post by Endo »

Same reason as all the other changes you've seen over the last few years....cost reduction.

"eco/full" applies to both 220V euro and 110V n/america models (but15A/20A does not). This way they need to procure and stock only one set of stickers.

Return to “General Q&A”