New owner here.....waaaazzzzup!

General Questions and Comments that fit no specific category.
Giuseppe

New owner here.....waaaazzzzup!

Post by Giuseppe »

Viv 2 and mazzer mini e should be here Friday. Just wanted to say hello. Hello!

Giuseppe
zedex
God Shot

Re: New owner here.....waaaazzzzup!

Post by zedex »

Sup.... :grin:
Endo

Post by Endo »

True....true :lol:
toto_

Post by toto_ »

New owner too! I have almost the same setting: mazzer mini e and mini vivaldi ii.
I'm so glad I chose the S1. I already make really good espresso. Now it's time to move to great espresso :-)

I also would like to thank everyone on this forum. It helps me a lot to decide to buy it and also to know the machine real well without having to spend months trying to figure out everything!

PS: I have to say the S1 looks much better in real than I was expecting.
CaliforniaJed

Post by CaliforniaJed »

That's my new setup as well. It's been a great pairing for the past few weeks for me. Hope you both enjoy.
GDK
God Shot

Post by GDK »

toto_ wrote:
PS: I have to say the S1 looks much better in real than I was expecting.

This is a great looking machine, pictures are deceiving. I was hesitant one year back as I thought I liked the Alex Duetto's, Rocket's etc. shiny shapes that show much better on pictures. I saw these E61s in person then but not the Vivaldi. I just went back to a store that sells these recently and to my surprise, I looked at the 61s again and found them quite unappealing in comparison.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

I agree with the looks of the V2 being pleasing to the eye. The other stainless brands IMO look like they belong in a medical lab,they look too sterile with twisted tubes and guages. I did like the look of my old silvia though. It was suptle.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

So everything is hooked up and working. I have it hooked up with the filtration system from Chris running 3/8. Tubing. Initially the pressure was at 11 bar so I had to adjust it down to 9 bar (house pressure at the hose bibs outside is 80 psi). Tomorrow I will order Chris line pressure reducer to get it down to 30 psi.

Shots look great with tiger striping and the bottomless porta filter. What I have noticed is that measuring 16 grams with fresh red bird the porta filter is almost halfway full after tamping - about 1/4" below the inside ridge of the basket. Basically the basket looks half full. The grind settings is 2 notches coarser than the mazzer mini's factory setting. Why does everyone vids of shot prep look like their baskets are more fuller?

Also the preinfusion is at 3 secs with the current unknown pressure. Looks like a lot of water. I am getting a lot of water sitting on the pucks after pulling shots and they are sloppy wet pucks. What do I need to do to get dryer pucks? I bought a knock box but it's essentially useless to use because it would make a mess knocking this mud. I have to go straight to the sink with it.

Any help appreciated, the machine looks great.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Giuseppe wrote: What I have noticed is that measuring 16 grams with fresh red bird the porta filter is almost halfway full after tamping - about 1/4" below the inside ridge of the basket. Basically the basket looks half full. The grind settings is 2 notches coarser than the mazzer mini's factory setting. Why does everyone vids of shot prep look like their baskets are more fuller?
Half full seems about right for 16g. You must remember that the brass diffuser and screens are quite thick, so it sticks quite far into the basket. The coffee puck is also taller, so it swells more vertically than the 58mm. Trust the weight, but if you want to double check, look at the puck afterward. If done right, you will see just a slight indent from the screen bolt head in the puck.

Giuseppe wrote: I am getting a lot of water sitting on the pucks after pulling shots and they are sloppy wet pucks. What do I need to do to get dryer pucks? I bought a knock box but it's essentially useless to use because it would make a mess knocking this mud. I have to go straight to the sink with it.
Don't worry about sloppy pucks. If you're grinding very fine, using fresh coffee and a strong 30lb nutation tamp, it is bound to happen. The puck will be much less porous than stale, coarse coffee and the taste will be much better too. Often, pre (or post) infusion water won't have enough pressure to push through this type of puck. You can try grinding finer and using a lighter tamp to see if that helps, but this can result in increase side channeling if distribution is not perfect (though the puck will then be dry). :lol:

So now you know what to do now if you want a dry puck. :lol: But do you really want one?
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

My pucks are dry on my v2 and quality of shots is excellent. Once you bring your line pressure down to 30 lbs your pucks will probably be drier.Preinfusion is at line pressure so in your case 80lbs.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Thanks for the info Endo. I do see a slight indentation on the spent grinds so it's good to know I have the dosing right. I was really hoping to get a finer grind down but im at the syrup/choke point of the machine. Let's hope the regulator helps a bit with the pucks.

I need some help with sourness though. Going to have to work on that a bit not exactly sure what needs to get adjusted at the moment. I have gone through about a pound of beans so far so i hope to get things dialed in soon. I was not expecting to go theough beans so fast to get the grinder and machine dialed in.

I do have to admit that the steam with this machine is absolutely marvelous. So damn fast and such a great microform! I'm no expert but the steam on this machine reduces time and effort so much. I suspect that after about a gallon of milk through this thing will be all I need for consistent and great foam.

Gotta love the info and members on this forum too.
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

Try preinfusion for 1 second until your line pressure is at proper levels.
CaliforniaJed

Post by CaliforniaJed »

Wow, great thread for novices with the V2. I wondered about the half full PF as well. The basket in the bottomless is a triple, right? Maybe updose a bit?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Getting better by the day and loving it. Seem to have most things dialed in now with the grinder and the machine. Pressure reducing valve is also on the way.

2 things are bugging me though that I would like to address but am not sure how.
1. Water is leaking from one of the tubes in the back I think it may be the 3 way valve line. It misses to tray or the sudden release of pressure shoots it pass the drip tray and onto my counter. I noticed a pool of water under the machine today. Any way to resolve this?

2. The steam wand squeaks when I move it and the steam knob moves as I move the wand. I peeked in from the top of the machine and do see a nut on the inside behind the knob. Do I just need to remove the heating tray and tighten that nut to stop the knob from moving when I move the wand? How to address the squeaking also with the steam wand movement?

Thanks in advance.
slo
Barista

Post by slo »

You are a lucky if these are the only issues, because they are easily fixed!

On the subject of the tube that is spitting out of the drip tray; Just bend the tube a little until it aligns with the drip tray. If it is misaligned to much or if it still spits water all over you could add a plastic tube over the tube to extend it all the way down to the very edge of the drip tray. This is what I have done. Do not worry about the temperature that tube does not get hot.

For the steam wand. You will have to take the top (cup tray) off and tighten the steam faucet body. If you remove the side panel the access will be much better. For the squeaking I do not know what to say. Mine does not squeak per say but the spring certainly makes noise and this is true of most machine(at least mine). There are dry lubricant that can be applied if it really bothers you.
Vivaldi II, Multiple (a collection really) Lever machines
Currently on deck grinders: Mythos and MXKR
Backup grinders: Robur, Major.
Toper Cafemino Electric and Poppery 1 roaster

I have a serious problem ... Can you guess what?
zedex
God Shot

Post by zedex »

My steam want makes a squeeking sound as well, but its the spring inside the ball mechanism so i live with it. It seems to be quieting down somewhat, so it doesnt bother me really. My silvia steam wand was dead quiet so i immediately noticed this wand.
Endo

Post by Endo »

A new wand will often "creak" from that area where the spring sits on the ball. It will loosen up and the creaking will go away after a few months.

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f=30&t=899
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Thanks for the tips and both issues have been resolved with regards to the machine. Creaking is the correct term.

Now the coffee... Running the red bird at 95c helped with my sourness I was getting along with more fluid. I like strong shots and really don't think red bird is capable of a true ristretto. Going to give a local roaster a chance by the name of mr espresso - already burned through 5lbs of coffee.

Return to “General Q&A”